Scotland North 500

Mike P

jumpstart - 2018-01-21 7:52 AM

What is universal is either the reluctance of people to reverse or just their inability to do it.

Fortunately, on Scotlands' single track roads, there are plenty of passing places AND they can usually be seen well ahead.

I've always found that , with a bit of give and take, reversing into a passing place is seldom necessary.

I suppose though, now that there is so much more publicity about touring the highlands, things may get worse !

;-)

We toured part of Scotland in our motorhome in late April/early May 2016. Whilst we didn't set out to travel the N500,we ended up travelling on about a 1/3rd of it I don't recall finding the bits we travelled on particularly busy at all and on the rare occasion we did gathered a small queue behind us we made sure we pulled over regularly to let any everyone pass.

Northern Scotland is a truly stunning place to visit with gorgeous scenery, amazing wildlife and a warm welcome. We're planning to go back next year. :-D

• 3 weeks later...

I had not expected this thread to be resurrected, but some of you will know that this winter has been more than usually hard up here in the Highlands with a lot of freezing and gritting going on. As a consequence there are many instances of poor and dangerous road surfaces present together with deep potholes in some areas. Google West Highland Free Press for some information on conditions presently pertaining.

One could reasonably expect some repair work to be carried out once conditions improve, however like all areas the disastrous austerity cuts mean that the local council responsible for all roads other than main trunk routes is desperately short of cash with more cuts in the pipeline. As I have previously observed the tourist season here seems to start now about a fortnight before Easter. I wish it were otherwise but I’m not confident that the roads will see much improvement before then.

This week’s WHFPress announces that the Bealach na Ba will be closed for 6 weeks as BT lay fibre optic cable. According to them it will be closed 9th. April and the closure will also be used for the council to do some much needed road repairs. It will be a managed closure. It’s pointless me passing on details just now as I’m sure they’ll be changed.

The local garages currently are having a field day recovering vehicles damaged by the roads and especially compromised are the hire vehicles with no spare wheels. If these are rented in Inverness, for example, a recovery truck has to be obtained to return the vehicle there once the Rental company has been contacted,-(in itself quite difficult given the very patchy mobile phone coverage in the Highlands). If one’s affected in this way, one’s two-day holiday has pretty much gone west with the time wasted.

We live in interesting times!

Archived