Solo in France

Duffer

Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-17 12:09 PM

Duffer - 2018-01-16 8:08 PM

I've been looking online to see if there's such a thing as a forward looking camera with a separate monitor. That would add a pair of eyes to the near side (well, off side) but they don't seem to exist.

Over the years there have been various gizmos designed to make overtaking safer when driving a RHD vehicle in countries that have 'right-hand traffic’ (or when driving a LHD vehicle in countries that have ‘left-hand traffic’) These products have used a pair of mirrors as shown in this advert

https://tinyurl.com/y7ucr8ro

The type of camera-based system you mention is advertised on this website

http://www.4kam.com/continental_cam_lhd_rhd_car_camera.html

Hah, typical, I've invented something that already exists! Many thanks for the links, I'll take a look.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duffer - 2018-01-17 1:45 PM

I'd have to get out and walk around the van because it's not easy to get the right distance from the toll catcher! The drivers behind would love me (lol)

On most vans the door mounted mirrors are the widest part so if that does not clout the toll booth then there is enough room for the rest of the van to follow - as long as you stay in a straight line!

Tracker - 2018-01-17 1:52 PM

I'd have to get out and walk around the van because it's not easy to get the right distance from the toll catcher! The drivers behind would love me (lol)

On most vans the door mounted mirrors are the widest part so if that does not clout the toll booth then there is enough room for the rest of the van to follow - as long as you stay in a straight line!

The van's eight foot wide with long arm mirrors so it's not always easy to judge the distance. Even with right hand booths I have to open the door sometimes if there's a kerb to stop you getting too close.

StuartO - 2018-01-17 8:05 AM

Likewise when going through Rouen, pay €3.20 to use the A13 to get away from the City (and on to the free A154) because otherwise it's a nightmare of traffic and urban roads

An alternative.

Take the (free) A28 from Abbeville into Rouen: as you approach the city outskirts this becomes the N28 and you will enter a tunnel. Take the right hand lane into and through the tunnel, and continue in that lane on N28.

In about a mile there is a an interchange. Stay in lane, signed Toutes Directions and Rouen - Centre: ignore D928 exit to right.

Immediately after that interchange look for signs for N15 Vernon, Pontoise, Dieppe, Le Havre on the right, and take the right exit lane. You will almost immediately enter another short tunnel. Stay right.

As you leave the tunnel the road bends slightly right, and then back to the left with a further lane on the right. Ignore this right hand lane and take the central lane, indicated for left turning traffic.

You approach traffic lights where you turn left signed Cergy-Pontoise. Stay right as you turn (both lanes turn left), and keep right for Cergy-Pontoise. Stay in the right hand lane.

At further traffic lights, continue ahead for Cergy-Pontoise. Route de Bonsecours, which becomes three lane at the lights.

Take the right hand lane along Bonsecours, and stay right for D6015 to Vernon and Evreux. Stay with the D6015 to roundabout at Port-St-Ouen where take second exit, to your left, still D6015 for Evreux and Vernon.

Follow D6015 to Igoville and Pont de l'Arche, and thence on to N154 for Evreux.

The only tricky bit is picking up that right hand lane as you approach the second tunnel, and getting the right lane as you exit. If you have a sat-nav set to avoid tolls it should follow this route, though you may need to insert a waypoint near Igoville to ensure this. The co-ordinates for the waypoint on the map are N49.32741 E1.15208, if it helps.

I have not so far, after about 10 years, encountered hold ups on this route except the usual delays at the two sets of traffic lights.

Route looks like this:

309167861_Rouenroutecrop.jpg.e3c39790f5920718b7560c0934e205c2.jpg

Brian Kirby - 2018-01-17 2:04 PM

Likewise when going through Rouen, pay €3.20 to use the A13 to get away from the City (and on to the free A154) because otherwise it's a nightmare of traffic and urban roads

An alternative.

Take the (free) A28 from Abbeville into Rouen: as you approach the city outskirts this becomes the N28 and you will enter a tunnel. Take the right hand lane into and through the tunnel, and continue in that lane on N28.

In about a mile there is a an interchange. Stay in lane, signed Toutes Directions and Rouen - Centre: ignore D928 exit to right.

Immediately after that interchange look for signs for N15 Vernon, Pontoise, Dieppe, Le Havre on the right, and take the right exit lane. You will almost immediately enter another short tunnel. Stay right.

As you leave the tunnel the road bends slightly right, and then back to the left with a further lane on the right. Ignore this right hand lane and take the central lane, indicated for left turning traffic.

You approach traffic lights where you turn left signed Cergy-Pontoise. Stay right as you turn (both lanes turn left), and keep right for Cergy-Pontoise. Stay in the right hand lane.

At further traffic lights, continue ahead for Cergy-Pontoise. Route de Bonsecours, which becomes three lane at the lights.

Take the right hand lane along Bonsecours, and stay right for D6015 to Vernon and Evreux. Stay with the D6015 to roundabout at Port-St-Ouen where take second exit, to your left, still D6015 for Evreux and Vernon.

The only tricky bit is picking up that right hand lane as you approach the second tunnel, and getting the right lane as you exit. If you have a sat-nav set to avoid tolls it should follow this route, though you may need to insert a waypoint near Igoville to ensure this. The co-ordinates for the waypoint on the map are N49.32741 E1.15208, if it helps.

I have not so far, after about 10 years, encountered hold ups on this route except the usual delays at the two sets of traffic lights.

Route looks like this:

That's great Brian, thank you. As I'll have no fixed destination or arrival time I'm also happy to tootle down minor roads once I'm south of Paris and then look for somewhere near to stay. I've found a good article in MMM from July last year and I'm tempted to use the first three days of that in Normandy to ease me into the trip.

ColinM50 - 2018-01-17 12:16 PM

... Generally I think the French are better, more curteous drivers than us Brits. I like their habit of, if coming up behind you on a motorway rather than flash their headlights and sit 2 metres off your bumper, they just click their offside indicator on to let you know they're there and politely ask you to move over and let them through. Tres poli.

They also are more likely to let you out of junctions and in the main are much more sensible with their driving...

I’ve driven regularly in France since the 1980s and my view is a mite different to yours.

My understanding of the French use of indicators on motorways is that you put the left indicator on and then move into the left lane (or vice versa). Putting the indicator gives you a divine right to overtake and, once the indicator is on, you can stay in the left lane indefinitely and it is absolutely forbidden for anyone to move into that lane in front of you.

I don’t remember EVER being let out of a junction in France and, when I once discussed French driving habits with a French lorry driver who used to travel to the UK, he told me what a pleasure it was to drive here because people were so much more courteous. I asked if the French drove like they did because of their training - he just shrugged and said “It’s just what they do”.

One thing to bear in mind is that French motoriists generally do not recognise headlight-flashing as a ‘polite’ gesture. Except for commercial drivers, headight flashing in France will be treated solely as a warning. For example, if an elderly French matron is meandering up the slip-road to join a motorway (as they do), if you want to let her on to the motorway ahead of you do so, but do not flash your headlights to indicate that you’ve seen what she is doing and you are happy to assist, as this will confuse and quite likely leave her stranded on the slip-road. If you have priority when driving in France keep it, as that's what a French motorist will do and will expect other motorists to do likewise.

I’ve never had any inclination to go the wrong way round French roundabouts, but they are certainly high-risk nowadays. This GOOGLE-translated webpage describes the signalling ‘rules’, but some roundabouts are war zones.

https://tinyurl.com/y825gas2

I drive thousands of miles around the UK, and some drivers are polite, some aren't. Some can join a motorway sensibly, some can't. Some hog lanes, some don't. Some stick to speed limits, some don't. Some let you out, some don't. I guess motorists are just people - some are sensible and some are not!

Brian Kirby - 2018-01-17 4:28 PM

Tracker - 2018-01-17 11:57 AM...................That is NOT what I said Brian, read it again, but for those in any doubt I will attempt to clarify further................

Apologies Rich, I completely mis-read your comment. Specsavers? :-)

No probs Brian, thanks!

I'm not as mad as we thought I were innit!!!

Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-17 3:18 PM.......................My understanding of the French use of indicators on motorways is that you put the left indicator on and then move into the left lane (or vice versa). Putting the indicator gives you a divine right to overtake and, once the indicator is on, you can stay in the left lane indefinitely and it is absolutely forbidden for anyone to move into that lane in front of you....................

I seem to remember - though I can't remember from where - that there is/was a rule in France that a vehicle has a right to overtake a slower moving vehicle. I think a similar rule applies in Germany, but with an equal obligation to move out of the overtaking lane as soon as the slower vehicle has been passed. I think the French rule just omitted the second part of the German rule! All quid, and no pro quo. :-)

Duffer - 2018-01-17 2:14 PM

Brian Kirby - 2018-01-17 2:04 PM

An alternative.

Route looks like this:

That's great Brian, thank you. As I'll have no fixed destination or arrival time I'm also happy to tootle down minor roads once I'm south of Paris and then look for somewhere near to stay. I've found a good article in MMM from July last year and I'm tempted to use the first three days of that in Normandy to ease me into the trip.

I've just checked, and the MMM route joins the one you posted for me just outside Rouen, so I think I may have just worked out where I'm going! Thanks for all your help and patience with me Brian :-)

I forgot one more important thing. When you come to a STOP sign, You must, actually, stop (wheels must stop turning for a second or so), even if you can see that it is clear to proceed. Failing to do so risks an on-the-spot fine if seen by the police. This is dinned into French drivers from the age of three! :-D Don't confuse with "cedez le passage", which is give way, at which it is not obligatory to stop.

malc d - 2018-01-17 9:51 AM

Don't be too obsessional about avoiding motorway tolls or you will make life unneccessarily complicated for yourself .

If I was driving on my own I reckon I would avoid motorways too.

I think I would find constantly scrambling across to the passengers side to pay the toll, an unnecessary complication.

;-)

Worse than that - I'd have to get out and walk around the van because it's not easy to get the right distance from the toll catcher! The drivers behind would love me (lol)

Worth knowing that the A16 has Union flagged lanes with right hand machines, certainly at Boulogne and also (I think) at Abbeville.

A16 is one of the few toll roads we habitually use, the alternative is such hard work that the time saved outweighs the cost.

All very good advice above, but don't over analyse it or get yourself too wound up as it's not as bad as you think it will be!

Based on my first trips the advice I would give is to go slow as you disembark the ferry / train and then immediately find somewhere safe to pull over and wait for the mob of cars / trucks / etc also disembarking to disperse and the road out of the port / terminal to quieten down.

Then check your mirror settings to make sure you can see down the new near side OK and they're set OK for the new off side..

Leave extra braking distance between you and the vehicle in front, as you will inevitably at first be straining to make out the road signs and direction boards, so a bit of extra room in front will help avoid issues of you are distracted for a second.

Don't get your self in the position where you feel as if you're being "pushed" along by faster traffic. If you're uncomfortable with the pace then turn on your hazard lights and go slow until you're happy.

And relax. After 30 mins you'll be fine.

French toll roads certainly are not cheap, but if I were driving a right-hander in France I would make good use of them. It's about the level of risk involved. Motorways are far safer to drive on, better on the fuel consumption and a less stressful way to rack up the mileage.

Concerns regarding the use of toll roads can be easily overcome by fitting a tag in your windscreen available through www.saneftolling.co.uk. Approach the toll booth, the tag is recognised and up goes the barrier. You'll receive a bill each month for the toll fees incurred plus admin charges.

I have one and wouldn't be without it, life is now so much easier.

Duffer.....i've driven many years now in Europe and like you, single travel alone so know the issues solo drivers have - especially driving RHD.

For overtaking i often use the satnav unit to gauge the road and will only overtake on a straight stretch. Anything else just isn't worth chancing.

Driving on the right of the road in RHD vehicle...you will soon get used to it. BUT.....if ever you reverse into a side road to make a turn back out in the opposite direction, if the road isn't busy give yourself time to remember exactly which side you need to pull out on!

That might sound a bit silly but driving here in UK you never even have to think about it....it's automatic. And despite the years i've driven in Europe i've dropped that clanger twice so i know it can and does happen.....and a lot easier than you'd think!

Steve H - 2018-01-20 10:51 PM

...Concerns regarding the use of toll roads can be easily overcome by fitting a tag in your windscreen available through www.saneftolling.co.uk...

It’s perhaps worth adding that the "Liber-t” tag available through the Sanef Tolling website is only applicable if a motorhome’s height does not exceed 3.0 metres and it’s maximum overall weight does not exceed 3500kg.

Information regarding taller or heavier motorhomes is on this website

https://www.eurotoll.eu/

Bulletguy - 2018-01-20 11:18 PM

I have done this on a couple of occasion, but within seconds realised the mistake when opposing traffic turnd on headlights and waved fists angrily.

remember the phrase"in france I drive on the ditch side, not the white line ! And the other clue is the the frantic voice of co pilot issuing urgent reminder to GET OVER.

tonyg3nwl

Duffer.....i've driven many years now in Europe and like you, single travel alone so know the issues solo drivers have - especially driving RHD.

For overtaking i often use the satnav unit to gauge the road and will only overtake on a straight stretch. Anything else just isn't worth chancing.

Driving on the right of the road in RHD vehicle...you will soon get used to it. BUT.....if ever you reverse into a side road to make a turn back out in the opposite direction, if the road isn't busy give yourself time to remember exactly which side you need to pull out on!

That might sound a bit silly but driving here in UK you never even have to think about it....it's automatic. And despite the years i've driven in Europe i've dropped that clanger twice so i know it can and does happen.....and a lot easier than you'd think!

French toll roads certainly are not cheap, but if I were driving a right-hander in France I would make good use of them. It's about the level of risk involved. Motorways are far safer to drive on, better on the fuel consumption and a less stressful way to rack up the mileage.

Concerns regarding the use of toll roads can be easily overcome by fitting a tag in your windscreen available through www.saneftolling.co.uk. Approach the toll booth, the tag is recognised and up goes the barrier. You'll receive a bill each month for the toll fees incurred plus admin charges.

Hi, what you say is true and I've considered the Sanef tag (does it get in the way of Remis blinds?), but one of the reasons for not choosing to go everywhere by motorway is that I'm not zooming off to a destination, but just touring about. I hope to do this on a combination of roads so that I get more comfortable on N and D roads in readiness for future trips

Also, if I can avoid paying tolls, I will. As a solo motorhomer, I pay twice as much for everything as a couple. That includes diesel, tunnel, campsites, gas, insurance etc. If campsites went up to £40, how many couples would use them? But it would still be £20 per head and that's what I pay. Similarly if couples had to pay £2.50 per litre for diesel there'd be a stink, but again, per head, they'd be paying what I pay. Even C&MC or CCC membership subs cover a couple (I've added one of the dogs to my card)! So to afford my lifestyle of spending months each year in the van, I will try and economise. Not tight, just careful :-)

Duffer - 2018-01-21 1:19 PM

Hi, what you say is true and I've considered the Sanef tag (does it get in the way of Remis blinds?), but one of the reasons for not choosing to go everywhere by motorway is that I'm not zooming off to a destination, but just touring about. I hope to do this on a combination of roads so that I get more comfortable on N and D roads in readiness for future trips

Also, if I can avoid paying tolls, I will. As a solo motorhomer, I pay twice as much for everything as a couple. That includes diesel, tunnel, campsites, gas, insurance etc. If campsites went up to £40, how many couples would use them? But it would still be £20 per head and that's what I pay. Similarly if couples had to pay £2.50 per litre for diesel there'd be a stink, but again, per head, they'd be paying what I pay. Even C&MC or CCC membership subs cover a couple (I've added one of the dogs to my card)! So to afford my lifestyle of spending months each year in the van, I will try and economise. Not tight, just careful :-)

Keith, I wish you luck on your sols trips. The biggest problem IMO will be the toll roads and be extra careful at roundabouts. A rear view camera will help probably

You will not be only solo, don't be afraid to talk to other people , even if in a couple. I have a friend who is widowed and drives his van , but it is a lhd, as he lives in France. His main problem is the navigation, as his wife used to do that, as she did not drive. Bought a Sat Nav, We had to help him learn how to use it, so as long as you have a friendly sat nav , you can always talk to that . (I do , much to Oh annoyance)

i usually say hello to other Brits if I can

PJay

My mantra. “. KERB ON RIGHT. KERB ON RIGHT, this great saying when on roundabouts or coming out of services. French roads great, we do not do tolls, and have been going to France for years. People very helpful, especially when parking in little villages. No problems at all.

Have a great time, the dogs will enjoy.

S

sandalwood - 2018-01-26 3:24 PM

My mantra. “. KERB ON RIGHT. KERB ON RIGHT, this great saying when on roundabouts or coming out of services. French roads great, we do not do tolls, and have been going to France for years. People very helpful, especially when parking in little villages. No problems at all.

Have a great time, the dogs will enjoy.

S

That's very encouraging, thanks. :-)

Archived