Liber-t tag

mids

If you GOOGLE on “Liber-t tag position” you’ll find plenty of discussion about positioning the tag when it’s not practicable to fix it behind the rear-view mirror.

In fact, if you read down the advice in the 1st link I provided above, you’ll find the following statement

"NB. If you have a small motorhome with a "luton" / overhanging sleeping compartment you MUST ensure that the Tag has "line of sight" with the reader (i.e. can see the reader on top of the pole). If you install the tag behind the rear vision mirror it may not be able to see the Tag reader and will not work - in this instance you have to put the tag at the bottom of the windscreen BUT ONLY if you do not have an athermic windscreen.”

If your motorhome’s windscreen has a black/mottled area behind the rear-view mirror, that’s where it’s best to position the tag. If the motorhome’s roof only overhangs the windscreen slightly, that should be OK. A really large overhang could be a problem, but you should be able to make a reasonable guess as to whether the tag will be ‘seeable’ if it’s behind the mirror.

I have ours bottom centre of the windscreen, because it interfered with the dashcam that I have mounted to the internal rear view mirror mounting if placed at the top of the screen. It is roughly at a similar height to the upper edge of most car windscreens, so I reasoned that it should be fine, and it has worked faultlessly at all the toll booths we have encountered so far, including the non-stop lanes.

Deneb - 2018-02-04 4:29 PM

I have ours bottom centre of the windscreen, because it interfered with the dashcam that I have mounted to the internal rear view mirror mounting if placed at the top of the screen. It is roughly at a similar height to the upper edge of most car windscreens, so I reasoned that it should be fine, and it has worked faultlessly at all the toll booths we have encountered so far, including the non-stop lanes.

Hi

I also have mine fitted to the bottom centre of the windscreen so the blinds can be closed without removing the tag and it works fine. i think it's only a problem if a heated screen is fitted.

Paul

According to Sanef’s installation instructions

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/support/tag-installation/

potential problems can result if the vehicle’s windscreen is "HEATED / ATHERMIC / METALLIC” and the tag is positioned wrongly.

This BMW forum thread discusses the issue

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1134493

It’s tempting to think, if a windscreen has a shaded/mottled area behind the rear-view mirror, that the screen is ‘athermic’ and putting the tag elsewhere may cause problems. However, my Ducato’s windscreen has a shaded/mottled area behind the mirror and, although the screen is tinted, I don’t believe it is ‘athermic’ and, even if a tag were not placed behind the mirror, I’m confident it would work OK.

As Deneb says above, the base of a motorhome’s windscreen is about the same height from the ground as the top of a car’s windscreen. So unless the motorhome has a ‘funny’ windscreen that prevents the receiver on the toll gantry from reading the tag, placing the tag at the windscreen’s bottom-centre should be perfectly OK.

I went through all the issues raised in this thread, having recently obtained a new van and a Bip and Go and already having a Liber-t tag from previous van. I now have a Pilote Galaxy with no rear view mirror and no clue what sort of windscreen. The advice from Sanef was to wave the tag out of the window if it didn't work. In the event I found both tags worked perfectly well if placed lying on the dash in front of the steering wheel. On the odd occasion that I approached the sensor too fast an aimless waving of the thing was enough to lift the barrier..

However, if going into Iberia, beware the first/last Spanish toll at Irun where these things don't work, apparently. Have some change ready and head for the (only) paybooth or risk having to reverse against a tide of juggernauts straight off the Pyrennees.

Also don't plan to transfer your Bip and Go to a hire car in Portugal. Sanef has admitted you can't as there is no agreement with the toll operator, apparently. .

Archived