Your views needed.. Going to Split Croatia. Which Ferry/Route

kevandali

Hello you lovely lot.

On May 5th I am taking the motorhome to Split in Croatia to meet the better half who is flying to Split as she hasn't got enough time off work.

My main problem is getting there, I am setting off a week before I need to be in Split and I am undecided as yet on ferries and route.

Home to Harwich is 172 miles
Home to Dover is 218 miles

Harwich ferry is £125
Dover to Calais is £76

Hook of Holland to Split 1075 miles
Calais to Split 1165 miles

I am hoping/assuming that one of you lovely lot have already considered/been on this route and can give me a few tips/views on the best ferry/route

Thanks in advance.
Kevandali

Sorry about all the gobbledegook below Kevandali, not a clue what happened?
 I've since read other posts talking about Croatia and have some better ideas. 
Now even thinking Hull Zeebrugge as Hull is only 70 miles away.
Your views still wanted/appreciated, going to try and book this evening.
Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Kevandali :-)

kevandali - 2018-02-07 12:47 PMok, just for anyone else planning the same route.
Opted for Hull Zeebrugge.
Even though the ferry was £100 more expensive than Calais, the amount of time and mileage saved was definitely worth it.

You've done well getting a Hull-Zebrugge crossing for only £100 more than Dover-Calais!

Just a little off your question......

Went to Croatia last Aug/Sept ,through France Germany Austria into Slovenia then Croatia .

Using ACSI all the time . When you enter Solvenia ,Camping Bled ,the lake ,so beautiful ,can walk all around the lake ,few yards from camp entrance . Camping Split great site ,again by the water ,bus into Split 20 mins ,cheap fares . If you have time well worth going to Dubrovnik ,great architecture .

One tip ,check your Sat Nav has the whole of Europe not just Western Europe . Despite thinking I had planned and covered everyone ,I forgot contents of my Sat Nav ! My screen went blank the minute we entered Slovenia ,only had Western Europe loaded !

Luck was on my side as I had a Garmin Camper Sat Nav ,checked the internet ,there was a Garmin office just 20 km away from Bled ,cost 90 € but worth it to remain calm ! Would not have found sites with out Co rods ....

Not sure of what time you have there ,instead of coming back the same way ,came back to Split and caught a 11 hr over night ferry to Italy ,cross Italy up to Genoa up through France .

Have a great time ,you will love it ,

Regards Mike .

One tip ,check your Sat Nav has the whole of Europe not just Western Europe . Despite thinking I had planned and covered everyone ,I forgot contents of my Sat Nav ! My screen went blank the minute we entered Slovenia ,only had Western Europe loaded !

Regards Mike .

Wow, that is an interesting point! We rely fairly heavily on our sat-nav and went to Austria last June. Our plan was to continue through Slovenia to Croatia if the weather cut up rough in the Alps.

In the event the weather and scenery was great and we stayed nearly 3 weeks in Austria, travelling to within 10 miles of the Slovenia border.

We enjoyed it so muc we're planning a re-run this year, but with the intention of continuing to Slovenia, Hungary and Croatia - so I'd better check our TomToms!! :-D

Thanks for the heads-up.

EDITED to add - Have just checked my cheap and cheerful TomTom and it appears to include the above countries and also the likes of the Ukraine, Turkey and Russia - so all good! But nonetheless, thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
chris - 2018-02-20 5:48 PMKevandali what weight is your motorehome? If its over 3.5ton then there will be different rules for Slovenia and Austrian tolls, Chris
Hi Chris, we opted for the paper exercise when we got the van to up it to the 3650kg, will have to look at what that means.... not a clue at the moment.

chris - 2018-02-20 5:48 PMKevandali what weight is your motorehome? If its over 3.5ton then there will be different rules for Slovenia and Austrian tolls, Chris
Hi Chris, we opted for the paper exercise when we got the van to up it to the 3650kg, will have to look at what that means.... not a clue at the moment.

If driving through Slovania to Croatia then you do not need to buy the Vignette toll sticker that cars buy.. Instead you have to pull in and STOP at the toll booths to pay for over 3.5ton.

Before entering Austria you have to buy a GO BOX from service station in Germany BEFORE you enter Austria. The go box is then stuck to your windscreen and bleeps every time you go under a gantry if you use the Austrian Motorways. To purchase a Go Box you must produce your Log book. Check now to see if it states on it if you are euro 4 or euro 5. If it doesnt state anything then you pay as if your vehicle is Euro 3. Even if you show your logbook at the go box point of sale you still have to prove identity by registering online to forward a copy of your Logbook. My advise is to register your van online before you go to Austria.

info https://www.asfinag.at/toll/go-box-for-hgv-and-bus/

go to this link and go to "prove omissions class in advance" https://www.go-maut.at/portal/faces/pages/common/portal.xhtml;jsessionid=E28905D63476F09181B2BFD886548B87.jvm.prd.internet_neu.p01

If i had a choice i would avoid Austria but its on the way. . iT IS POSSIBLE TO DRIVE OFF THE MOTORWAY BUT IF YOU ONLY HAVE A WEEK TO GET THERE YOU ARE LIMITED.

cROATION TOLLS ARE STRAIGHT FORWARD. EITHER PAY IN EUROS OR kUNA.. I HAVE PROBABLY GOT YOU WONDERING NOW SORRY. cHRIS

as you are travelling in May its worth getting the ACSI book for Croatia, Slovania and Austria. Germany you can use Stellplatz (motorehome aires} Croatian campsites are very expensive but with acsi you can get sites for around 20 to 22euro. so that is better than £30 to 4£40. Fuel is cheap in Austria and Croatia. We have done the journey 5 times now and love Croatia. Split has become very busy. It depends on what type of camper you are as to what sites I would recomend. Dont stay on Trogir island as very tight fit to travel through town. we stayed north of Trogir and caught ferry taxi inn. Didnt like the site in Split so we stayed at Omis. Can catch a bus to split from there too. Stayed at a site north of Promosten and it was peaceful and a taxi to Primosten. Its a stunning coastline. May might be a bit cool too.

chris - 2018-02-21 1:00 AM

as you are travelling in May its worth getting the ACSI book for Croatia, Slovania and Austria. Germany you can use Stellplatz (motorehome aires} Croatian campsites are very expensive but with acsi you can get sites for around 20 to 22euro. so that is better than £30 to 4£40. Fuel is cheap in Austria and Croatia. We have done the journey 5 times now and love Croatia. Split has become very busy. It depends on what type of camper you are as to what sites I would recomend. Dont stay on Trogir island as very tight fit to travel through town. we stayed north of Trogir and caught ferry taxi inn. Didnt like the site in Split so we stayed at Omis. Can catch a bus to split from there too. Stayed at a site north of Promosten and it was peaceful and a taxi to Primosten. Its a stunning coastline. May might be a bit cool too.

The maximum ACSI site fee for 2018 is 19€ ,there may be a small amount for local tax .

Do not forget ACSI discount card can be used all over Europe ,i.e.on the way down and back .

What we found is time of arrival can make the difference between getting on or full ,some could be full by 10.15 . You could book ahead but we like the freedom arriving like it ,stay ,don't like it ,move on .

Liking a site is personal ,we liked Camping Split .

Strange thing with money custom ,if say you are due small change when paying you may not get it , they round it up , but it works the other way round ,if it is small change over they round it down , how they balance at the end of the day ,not sure .

chris - 2018-02-21 12:48 AM

If driving through Slovania to Croatia then you do not need to buy the Vignette toll sticker that cars buy.. Instead you have to pull in and STOP at the toll booths to pay for over 3.5ton.

Before entering Austria you have to buy a GO BOX from service station in Germany BEFORE you enter Austria. The go box is then stuck to your windscreen and bleeps every time you go under a gantry if you use the Austrian Motorways. To purchase a Go Box you must produce your Log book. Check now to see if it states on it if you are euro 4 or euro 5. If it doesnt state anything then you pay as if your vehicle is Euro 3. Even if you show your logbook at the go box point of sale you still have to prove identity by registering online to forward a copy of your Logbook. My advise is to register your van online before you go to Austria.

info https://www.asfinag.at/toll/go-box-for-hgv-and-bus/

go to this link and go to "prove omissions class in advance" https://www.go-maut.at/portal/faces/pages/common/portal.xhtml;jsessionid=E28905D63476F09181B2BFD886548B87.jvm.prd.internet_neu.p01

If i had a choice i would avoid Austria but its on the way. . iT IS POSSIBLE TO DRIVE OFF THE MOTORWAY BUT IF YOU ONLY HAVE A WEEK TO GET THERE YOU ARE LIMITED.

cROATION TOLLS ARE STRAIGHT FORWARD. EITHER PAY IN EUROS OR kUNA.. I HAVE PROBABLY GOT YOU WONDERING NOW SORRY. cHRIS

Worth noting that to best of my knowledge Slovenian tolls no longer accept Visa or MasterCard debit or credit cards but do accept American Express.

Archived