Trojan Batteries

aandncaravan

Just had an email requesting battery advice and sent the response as below.

Note the exceptionally high charge voltage specified for this Wet Acid battery.

"Hello, Please could you give me some advice?

I'm going to fit 2x 31xhs Trojan batteries on my Autotrail will the 328 psu handle the charging ok? Regards Ernie"

Hello Ernie, The EC328 is a good mains charger, but that is right on it's limit.

The Alternator charge likely to go through the EC328 box when the batteries are low and tired will place a huge strain on the systems. Probably enough to fry it?

But your real problem is the voltage it needs for long life. The datasheet specifies a voltage of 14.82v for both the Alternator and the EC328 mains charger, when your alternator will put out about 14.2v and the mains charger about the same, that is well under the desired spec for the battery.

The datasheet specifically mentions,

"Constant under or overcharging will damage the battery and shorten its life as with any battery".

That is suggesting to me that the higher than usual charging voltage is important for max battery life?

I also note it has up to a 15% per month self discharge rate which is very high, and likely to be an additional load on the EC328 having to put this back on a regular basis.

The high self discharge rate suggests old fashion construction with a high Antimony content, so watch out for Antimony poisoning and short life if you are thinking of leaving it on long term EHU or Solar?

Not what we would recommend.

Allan

Archived