2008 X250 - Unusual noise at startup.

John  Anne

Hi, we have owned this motorhome for over 8 years now, it's been well looked after with annual servicing. We recently noticed an unfamiliar noise after starting the engine. It's best described as something that sounds like a small windscreen wiper motor operating under the bonnet, it lasts for about 1 minute and then stops it happens with either a hot or cold engine.

Nothing seems to stop the noise, I've tried heater controls, fan, a/c, wipers and washers etc but no joy. The engine and gearbox work fine and there are no noticeable effects to normal operation.

Has anyone experienced the same noise and diagnosed the fault? Any clues or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

John and Anne.

Probably not of much help but may give you a clue.  When the engine of my VW T4 is quite hot after a long run, on switching the engine off a similar noise can be heard for a minute or so. I think it is an electric water circulating pump that circulate the coolant until engine and turbo has cooled a bit.  Obviously if your noise comes on even with a cold engine then its not quite the same but perhaps something is not quite right with the wiring that is causing this pump to operate even when cold?  Whatever it doesnt sound too serious to me but can appreciate your wanting to know.

The electric fuel pump does that - might have got a bit noisier?

You can disconnect it by taking up the smaller of the 2 'manhole covers' in the cab floor to get to the terminal plug on top of the diesel tank. The engine will still run without it unless the diesel is very cold and too thick to be sucked up by the high pressure diesel pump on the engine.

Hi John, our van is similar age, and I think I heard a similar sound from ours a few years ago, probably at about 35k miles. I’d say the sound was in the centre of the scuttle/dashboard.

We subsequently had the EGR valve replaced; not that this was a symptom, but we had Nick (euroserv) take a look at it and took a view. Our van has been running beautifully ever since.

I’d think Nick will respond to this thread,

Regards Snowie

snowie - 2018-02-11 10:45 AM

Hi John, our van is similar age, and I think I heard a similar sound from ours a few years ago, probably at about 35k miles. I’d say the sound was in the centre of the scuttle/dashboard.

We subsequently had the EGR valve replaced; not that this was a symptom, but we had Nick (euroserv) take a look at it and took a view. Our van has been running beautifully ever since.

I’d think Nick will respond to this thread,

Regards Snowie

+1

Assuming you have the Ford Puma 2.2 engine, then the noise sounds like the EGR valve going through its self-cleaning cycle (always reminded me of a rasping / sawing noise), but only lasting for 3 maybe 4 seconds.

The EGR is a well known weak point with the early Puma engines and you have done quite well to get 10 years out of it. I believe that replacement items are of an improved design and last longer.

Hello folks,

The best thing to do initially is open the bonnet before starting the engine and identify the EGR valve solenoid that is located behind a small metal bracket in the centre of the engine bay below the windscreen. It is a black plastic affair with two small rubber pipes coming from it and an electrical plug.

Get someone else to start the engine and if you hear the noise, put your hand behind the solenoid and feel it to establish that it is this that is at fault. It is not uncommon for these to start buzzing when they are worn out but they don't wear out unless something else is not right.

The first possibility is that one of the rubber pipes is blocked. It does not take long to examine them and blow them through with an air line.

The next thing to do is replace the solenoid valve.

If the noise persists or anything else happens like an engine management light comes on he next port of call will be the throttle body at the front of the engine on top of the inlet manifold. These are a common problem and either fail electrically or mechanically. It is most likely a mechanical problem if there are no warning lights on. The end result is the same; you have to get a new one.

Finally; there may be a problem with the EGR valve itself. Many people have replaced them erroneously because warning lights and fault codes mention 'EGR' so they go straight to that. It is almost NEVER the EGR valve.

Replacing the throttle body and solenoid valve are not a cheap job but on the positive side; the later bodies are much more reliable and most owners report significant improvements to throttle response and fuel economy.

N

Thanks again for your replies.

The response from Nick is very helpful and concise - thank you Nick. I will follow the sequence of diagnosis tests and see what I find.

At this stage there are no symptoms other than noise and as Nick says, one possibility is the solenoid valve directly below the windscreen.

Further postings will be made reporting progress.

Cheers

John and Anne.

If there is no adverse effect on the operation of your Motorhome I would put the noise down to your lifter pump (Just turn on the ignition without cranking the engine and you will hear it, when the pressure is right it will shut off) I very much doubt that it has anything to do with your EGR valve unless your van is under normal driving conditions.

If your EGR Solenoid valve is knackered I have found that it will groan for about 30 seconds after turning the engine off and will feel hot to touch due to excess current draw, trying to energise the Knackered Solenoid

Regards Moley (Necessity is the Mother of all invention!)

Archived