Anyone ever bought/sold via AutoTrader?

Bulletguy

Just wondering if anyone has ever bought/sold via AutoTrader?

I've looked at a van which is currently advertised for sale by a private seller but contact is proving somewhat frustrating. No direct communication at all. I've sent two emails which go through A/T neither of which have been responded to. The phone number on the advert is also via a messaging service through A/T which i've called...but not had any response to that either.

All seems pretty weird to me really because if the van has been sold, then surely the advert can easily be amended? Sold or not, the least i'd expect would be the courtesy of a reply but i'm assuming it is still for sale....but not by an owner particularly bothered about selling! :-S

Hi

We tried to sell our Benimar on Autotrader, got no end of people calling to offer ridiculously low amounts for a quick sale and loads of calls from other people wanting to advertise our van for a cut. in the end we took it off and sold it via Ebay. it may have changed in the 5 years since we sold our van but maybee they are having a similar experience and have given up the will to respond.

We sold our VW t4 camper on autoTrader and did very well out of it. We put the work in giving the history and getting the photo's just right after a good clean. We did not get a reply for four weeks then got five in a couple of days. Have to say no complaints from us. Baz2

I have sold through Autotrader but be very wary of scammers. Dont accept money through paypal.

I sold a car through Autotrader. The guy said he would only do it through paypal.

We agreed on 11k. he emailed me to say he had paid £12k in error and could I reimburse him the overpaid amount. He emailed proof that he had paid it, even set up a dummy account that mirrored my actual account.

Obviously I didnt fall for it but be very wary.

David

Appreciate the replies. As mentioned in the o/p it was more about communication issues than anything and it's clear now the seller of the van i'd attempted to make contact with eventually removed the advert though took his time about it! Communication amounted to zero and it costs nothing to send a "sorry sold" email back.

It had been on AT for a few weeks but overpriced and then he dropped it to a sensible price which was when i imagine it quickly sold but there was no direct phone number....contact went via AT which was frustrating.

I sold a car some years ago on Gumtree, priced it fair and sensible, put my mobile number on the advert (Gumtree protect it but calls go direct to your phone) and got the first call within minutes. Barely one hour later he'd arrived to view, cash in hand, sold and drove away.

Archived