Overhanging a parking space

spospe

Can anyone say if there is a simple universal rule within the UK regarding having the wheels within the lines of a parking space yet overhanging the body beyond the lines?

Some motorhomes have considerable overhangs, especially at the rear and I am unsure as to how they are regarded by Parking Wardens (on street parking) and public car parks of the Pay and Display type and private car parks e.g. for a supermarket. Is there a single simple rule, or does it vary for each instance?

I have no idea if there is a universal rule but I would doubt there is and some discretion will probably be required. In a supermarket I would take up two spaces end on end I and I doubt this would be a problem. In car parks I will try to find a spot where I can hang the back over a verge and keep the front behind the line although I would not bother if the front stuck out a bit - my Volvo V90 estate will not fit lengthways in any standard car parking space either so what can you do? In a pay & display car park Ior on the road paid parking I would not take up two spaces end on end without buying two tickets but, as stated above, am generally happy to overhang a small amount in a bay parking space if not causing an obstruction. Not had any problems so far.

I've always worked on the premise that the vehicle shouldn't really overhang any bay designation lines (apart from maybe the tail end, if it protrudes over a grass verge etc?)

..but even then, if it's getting too close to call, then the space probably isn't big enough/appropriate anyway....

(there's little point in being "technically" in the right, if vehicles park next to you and bash their doors into your van..or you end up with the hassle of having to contest a ticket)

Daf Murray - 2018-02-12 6:25 PM

in Conwy county any car park or road that is managed by the council is a nightmare, if any part of the vehicle overhangs the lines then you get a ticket, cant speak for elsewhere but I would assume they are all pretty much the same.

Same round here. It isn't the wheels that count, it is the bodywork.

There's plenty of free parking round here, and there's usually 2 or 3 motorhomes etc.. in ASDA or Tesco car parks. Nobody cares much. In the council run car parks, strictly speaking you should park in a designated space, but I haven't seen a traffic warden in years. Now, Edinburgh is a different matter - half an inch over the line and one of the "Blue meanies" will slap a ticket on it. Other places, you can occupy two spaces if you pay for two spaces.

I think that stopping time is more of a problem. 1 second over your allowed time and you get a penalty.

As already said, there is no universal rule.

Some people, including me, try to park where only one space is used and the rear overhangs the edge of the car park area. You can get a ticket if your vehicle overhangs a pedestrian area such as a pavement or road at the edge of the car park [i haven't - yet]. In one car park I came across on the south coast, the car park signage made it absolutely clear you could not overhang the grass area at the edge of the car park as that grass was classed as recreational space.

As far as on street parking goes, the rule I come across most often is you must park within the lines and not stick out into the road.

The single simple rule I use is to read the Parking signs and if in doubt, go elsewhere.

Well, my solution is to buy a smaller van, which I have just done. Many reasons for this but principally, I just want less hassle as I get older. Ironically the smaller van has far more living space, but admittedly now I have to take up to 60 seconds pulling out the bench seats, throwing over a couple of sleepin bags and jumping into bed. Yes, the fixed bed has gone! There is of course an even better solution. Spend more time in France, over there they have a most civilised attitude to we Motorhomer’s, the antithesis of the good old UK, with all of its restrictions, camera’s and can’t do attitude.

If people know of areas that insist all vehicle must be within bay then there is no consistency, I know that at Slapton Sands I spoke to warden and he informed me that it was only the wheels that counted (in his council area?) and that in NI it is only wheels and this used to be shown pictorially online, but now there is just a description, this also says whole vehicle but then goes on to say an entire wheel must be outside to attract a PCN.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/further-details-contravention-code-86

One of the reasons we bought our Elddis Autoquest 200 is it is only 5.5metres long. However, this is till onger than most UK parking bays. We've only had a motorhome for 3 years, but this is the basis I work on and so far it hasn't caused me any issues.

On street parking bays - Make sure the whole vehicle is inside the lines.

On street parking (no bays) - Make sure no parts of my wheels are touching a single or double yellow line.

Car parks - try to park with the rear overhanging a verge. If I can't and the end of my bay is up against another bay, make sure no part my vehicle is overhanging the adjacent bay.

This has worked for me so far.

Len Salisbury - 2018-02-13 12:00 AM

Pressurise the local councils to make specific areas for motohome with longer marked areas and a slightly increased charge for parking.

Whilst I like the idea, given that most local councils have little or no spare money, I struggle to see how this would make economic sense except in areas with a very high number of visitors in motorhomes.

some supermarkets are now employing NPR and display your registration on arrival and if you over stay

( as most have 2 hour limit usually displayed in an out of the way spot) you get a fine through the post others employ Parking wardens and they get paid on results. This is now becoming a problem in areas that are popular. as some motorists park up for the day and do not use the shop .Generally if your vehicle encroaches on another bay you are in infringement of the parking rules or bylaws. And with local councils seeing parking fines as another way of income their are being more active .Here in my local area and S Wales the Police are handing over parking enforcement to the local authority Cardiff is one council that patrols the streets and issue penalty notices and are booking vehicles parking on dropped kerb areas taking up more than one marked bay over staying time limit this covers the whole of the councils area just not in the City :-(

I get a bit paranoid when it comes to parking and hang about looking for wardens, both in Shropshire and Somerset have told me that the wheels need to be inside the marked bay but the overhang it's up to other motorists to avoid you.

Mind you I only drive an autoquest 115 be aware in Weston super mare the main car park by the colonial pub has two Motorhome bays in the large car park and these are the only spots that will be tolerated anywhere else on the car park you get booked .

Pete

longtemps - 2018-02-12 8:59 PM

Spend more time in France, over there they have a most civilised attitude to we Motorhomer’s, the antithesis of the good old UK, with all of its restrictions, camera’s and can’t do attitude.

This is a generalisation. Whilst it is true that many areas in France welcome motorhomes and provide free parking in designated spaces, this is not true in all areas or towns.

For many years it has been virtually impossible to park motorhomes in many areas of The Riviera apart from in the small number of expensive aires de camping cars (or obviously staying in campsites).

We also noticed that this was true in the Biarritz /St Jean de Luz areas.

Two years ago we noticed that there were more restrictions in parts of Britanny than there had been previously. In and around some coastal towns even in large unmarked barrier- free parking areas motorhomes were banned. In one particular town there were large amounts of free parking for cars in car parks or on-street but motorhomes were prohibited. The only place motorhomes could park was a field costing 6 euros, no matter how short the stay.

When we travelled through various parts of France last year we noticed that there were more height barriers than previously.

Incidentally, I agree with your comment about the advantages of having a smallish van. We can usually manage to park our 5.65 metres length van without problems but ( as someone else has stated) it is always worth reading any notice regarding parking.

ham - 2018-02-13 10:15 AM

some supermarkets are now employing NPR and display your registration on arrival and if you over stay

( as most have 2 hour limit usually displayed in an out of the way spot) you get a fine through the post others employ Parking wardens and they get paid on results. This is now becoming a problem in areas that are popular. as some motorists park up for the day and do not use the shop .-(

2 hours free parking (for customers) seems to be the norm, although there are exceptions with at least one supermarket providing 3 hours parking regardless of using the shop or not.I have usually found that the parking time allowed is displayed clearly rather than in "an out of the way spot" in supermarket car parks.

I can understand a company fining motorists who ignore the time limit and park all day, especially if at busy times the car park is full and people wishing to shop in the store are unable to park.

Our local Sainsburys employs this system, when you get there you park and have to go upstairs to the shop floor, (lift or travelator) I am walking disabled and a bit slower than most and was concerned that shopping and a rest in the cafe would take longer than (Ithink 90 minutes) and said so at customer services and they said, see them, give your registration number and they would enter it into the wardens system and then you can stay all day if you wish, good to know.

When we visited Conwy we parked in the large car park below the castle, they have provided five or six motorhome bays, but the notice board says, you can only park for free if you are in a disabled bay, so I rang the help line number and asked if Parking in the motorhome bay in a motorhome and using a blue badge would be ok, they said no, you would be fined you have to check everthing.

Pete

Our solution was very simple and always worked for us - if there was any doubt or any suggestion that Motorhomes are not welcome or any possibility of a fine then we would go somewhere else to spend our time and our money.

Maybe that is what the various local authorities want and if so we granted them their wish to the detriment of local eateries and attractions, not that they will notice or really care I suspect.

We didn't often get this problem abroad which, apart from the added sunshine, made European travel much more relaxing and enjoyable.

Grumblewagon - 2018-02-12 7:03 PM

Edinburgh is a different matter - half an inch over the line and one of the "Blue meanies" will slap a ticket on it.

Thanks for the warning, I did wonder. I have parked over the bay markings in Edinburgh many times without problems - but only ever overnight / weekends etc when parking is free so nobody is checking.

I am allergic to pay & display machines ;-)

Thanks for al the comments, it seems as I feared, no consistency. We were at Sennen Cove two years ago and the sign there did say that all the vehicle had to be within the lines of the parking space. As the 'van was 6 metres long it was not going to fit into a single space, so we bought two tickets (not expensive for the length of time we wanted). A parking warden was patrolling the area and he said that this was OK, but no overnighting allowed. Just after we got back to the 'van from a walk to Lands End, a Smart car came and parked behind us in part of our second space. The driver went to the Pay and Display machine and bought a ticket, thus giving the local council three parking fees from two spaces!

breakaleg - 2018-02-13 12:01 PM

When we visited Conwy we parked in the large car park below the castle, they have provided five or six motorhome bays, but the notice board says, you can only park for free if you are in a disabled bay, so I rang the help line number and asked if Parking in the motorhome bay in a motorhome and using a blue badge would be ok, they said no, you would be fined you have to check everthing.

Pete

Considering tourism is pretty much all that keeps Conwy going, the council try pretty hard to scare people away, so many people fall foul and end up with fines for all sorts.

Shame really.

I drive a LWB Boxer van conversion and am just careful as I can be where I park and generally as far from cars as possible.

If you stop someone parking next to you by overhang etc then buy 2 tickets is the rule to follow.

I would not leave ANY overhang over double yellow lines

There is no general rule and in some places, unpredictably unfortunately, you will get a ticket for overhanging a marked parking bay - so if you do it you might well have to deal with the consequences.  It's widely known that this risk applies so don't complain if you do get ticketed.

Parking provision for larger MHs in UK is generally poor but again that's widely known, so you need to take that into account.  The authorities (and CAMC) would like you to use campsites and thereby avoid the need for them to provide any facilities in towns for MHs; very few are interested in being helpful. 

The easiest way for a motorhome run who feels hard done by is to get a Blue Badge, which allows you to park on yellow lines, even if that does impose a nuisance on others. You can have three hours free of charge on yellow lines unless there is a prohibition on loading, so Blue Badges are really helpful to motorhomers.

You are of course supposed to be seriously disabled and be unable to walk more than 50m without severe pain but only a small proportion of Blue Badge holders genuinely meet these criteria.  If you have enough brass neck to get yourself a Badge by exaggerating your disability you won't be alone!

spospe - 2018-02-13 3:17 PM

Thanks for al the comments, it seems as I feared, no consistency. We were at Sennen Cove two years ago and the sign there did say that all the vehicle had to be within the lines of the parking space. As the 'van was 6 metres long it was not going to fit into a single space, so we bought two tickets (not expensive for the length of time we wanted). A parking warden was patrolling the area and he said that this was OK, but no overnighting allowed. Just after we got back to the 'van from a walk to Lands End, a Smart car came and parked behind us in part of our second space. The driver went to the Pay and Display machine and bought a ticket, thus giving the local council three parking fees from two spaces!

When we where at Sennen Cove we parked our 6.36m van with wheels in one bay and overhung, maybe we where lucky but didn't get a ticket.

Archived