Overhanging a parking space

spospe

StuartO - 2018-02-14 10:23 AMThe easiest way for a motorhome run who feels hard done by is to get a Blue Badge, which allows you to park on yellow lines, even if that does impose a nuisance on others. You can have three hours free of charge on yellow lines unless there is a prohibition on loading, so Blue Badges are really helpful to motorhomers.

You are of course supposed to be seriously disabled and be unable to walk more than 50m without severe pain but only a small proportion of Blue Badge holders genuinely meet these criteria.  If you have enough brass neck to get yourself a Badge by exaggerating your disability you won't be alone!

If this is a serious post then I think it is uncaring and shows a lack of concern for those who are genuinely disabled.Why should an able bodied person try to obtain a blue badge? In my opinion it shows a selfish attitude.Surely to quote a well known term "You cannot be serious".

Don't worry about Stuart, Blue Badge holders are his pet hate at the moment!

Like the vast majority of Blue Badge holders we are very grateful for the facility and never abuse the privilege by parking on yellow lines or anywhere else that could cause an obstruction or nuisance to other people and is not a designated parking area.

But as we are mostly able to suport each other and walk slowly to where we need to get and are not as severely restricted as some that makes it easier for us.

On really bad days we have been known to stop on yellow lines to allow one of us to get out whilst the other parks somewhere safe and a quick phone call summons the car to collect.

We view the Blue Badge in the same light as a sat nav where a sat nav is a guide to navigation not an instruction and when used sensibly, as with a Blue Badge, it just makes life easier without inconveniencing anyone else.

There is also a lot of abuse and misuse of the Blue Badge scheme with badges being borrowed by fit but lazy people, and non badge holders blocking disabled parking bays but as there very little policing or control, other than sometimes in pay and display car parks, I can only see that abuse increasing, especially in supermarket car parks.

That we can use wide parking bays when available and often not need to pay is a real bonus!!

Hi Tracker,

There is a very busy town /suburb near to us in Birmingham and a row of disabled bays for just five cars, unfortunatly they are by the banks and building society also a greggs and poundland, you can never park in them I reckon most days four of the five vehicles have no blue badge, and it isn't a place where you can hang around and wait, I rarely park on double yellow line as you can still be done for obstruction blue badge or not.but as I said earlier it can pay to seek out a traffic warden and ask advice, we were in Cleeveys (possible misspelt) near blackpool most the car parks around this very busy town are to small for a coachbuilt but there is a road with one hour no return so often a chance to park asked the warden if I could park for three hours using the badge and he said that with a blue badge you can park all day.

Pete

Tracker - 2018-02-14 12:32 PM

Don't worry about Stuart, Blue Badge holders are his pet hate at the moment!...

I wondered if that were true and I see that it is :-(

It’s a pity that it’s felt necessary for something like this (that has had a good ‘outing’ on the Chatterbox Forum) to be repeated on the Motorhome Matters forum.

apart from the odd week and weekend on a site,i would never consider visiting anywhere in england where i had to street park.last time i tried was Chester,when all i could do was to overhang a white line,and paying for two parking places for an extra metre is ridiculous.just wait for the continental trip !

breakaleg - 2018-02-14 1:54 PM

Hi Tracker,

There is a very busy town /suburb near to us in Birmingham and a row of disabled bays for just five cars, unfortunatly they are by the banks and building society also a greggs and poundland, you can never park in them I reckon most days four of the five vehicles have no blue badge, and it isn't a place where you can hang around and wait, I rarely park on double yellow line as you can still be done for obstruction blue badge or not.but as I said earlier it can pay to seek out a traffic warden and ask advice, we were in Cleeveys (possible misspelt) near blackpool most the car parks around this very busy town are to small for a coachbuilt but there is a road with one hour no return so often a chance to park asked the warden if I could park for three hours using the badge and he said that with a blue badge you can park all day.

Pete

Blue Badge holders should play fair, but so should Councils and they don't. Putting parking restrictions where they are not needed to raise money from fines or force people into their Car Parks where they will be ripped off by pay & display, or more fines through unnecessary enforcement of small parking bay sizes. >:-)

Councils say thery need the money but you would never think so when you see what they pay their Chief Execs >:-(

Archived