MOT changes in May 2018

aandncaravan

According to the Autoexpress website, significant MOT test changes are on the way. It quotes,

"The MoT test is due for a major shake up on 20 May 2018, when tough new rules for diesel cars and new defect categories come into force.

From that date, MoT test faults will be classified as Minor, Major and Dangerous, with Major and Dangerous issues causing an automatic MoT failure. Cars with Minor defects will be allowed to pass the test, but faults will be recorded on the car's MoT certificate and online MoT record, just as advisories are today.

Diesel cars will also have to meet strict new rules to pass their MoT: any car fitted with a diesel particulate filter (DPF) that emits “visible smoke of any colour” during metered tests will get a Major fault, and automatically fail its MoT.

MoT testers are also being instructed to check to see if DPFs (Diesel Particulate Filters) have been removed or tampered with, and must refuse to test any car where the “DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded” unless the owner can prove this was done “for legitimate reasons such as filter cleaning.” This last instruction clarifies outgoing MoT rules, which stipulate a car should be rejected only if its DPF is totally missing".

Not sure how the changes affect other vehicle classes.

Vehicles, Cars and Motorbikes, over 40 years old as of the 20th May 2018 will no longer require an MOT provided they are registered as 'Historic vehicles'.

aandncaravan - 2018-02-16 11:06 AM

MoT testers are also being instructed to check to see if DPFs (Diesel Particulate Filters) have been removed or tampered with, and must refuse to test any car where the “DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded” unless the owner can prove this was done “for legitimate reasons such as filter cleaning.” This last instruction clarifies outgoing MoT rules, which stipulate a car should be rejected only if its DPF is totally missing".

That seems like quite a large loophole for unscrupulous dpf removers to climb through, but how would dpf removal affect the actual emmisions and would the vehicle be able to pass it's MOT without a dpf?

I thought the old rule was that if would fail if it was missing. Now it will fail if it has been tampered with as well so I dont see any loophole unless you can somehow get away with removing the DPF but still leave it looking like its not been touched.

The knives are out for diesels though. Ive just been forced into buying a petrol car because I dont do the kind of mileage that is good for a DPF system. The older ones that dont have them could at any point be rendered useless at the swish of a pollys pen. Its a shame as my old MK4 Golf was the best car I ever had. Fifty years from now when its body is just dust the engine will still be going probably.

may be a silly question for you knowledgeable guys, but would my late 2015 peugeot boxer based motorhome have a DPF, or csst or neither???? its the standard 2.2 6 gear manual. its plain i think that my knowledge of engines stopped around 1980!!!! ( icant even read the manual now without getting a headache!)

KeithR - 2018-02-16 7:49 PM

may be a silly question for you knowledgeable guys, but would my late 2015 peugeot boxer based motorhome have a DPF, or csst or neither???? its the standard 2.2 6 gear manual. its plain i think that my knowledge of engines stopped around 1980!!!! ( icant even read the manual now without getting a headache!)

They pretty much became mandatory in 2009 on cars and I think Vans so the answer is yes (probably) http://www.vanarama.co.uk/dpf.html

Your Peugeot Boxer Manual will have a Technical Data section (Section 9) that includes a page (Page 159?) providing information about the Engines and Gearboxes being fitted to Boxers when yours was built.

If you look at the page headed “ENGINES AND GEARBOXES” I believe you’ll find that the motors of all 2015 Boxers had a particle emissions filter (DPF) except for the 2.2litre e-HDI 130 powerplant. The e-HDI 130 motor was fitted to Boxers with a Start/Stop capability, but it’s unlikely your motorhome (whatever make/model it is) has Start/Stop. All the motors also have a catalytic converter (‘cat’).

In your Manual’s “Levels and Checks” section (Section 7) you should find a page (Page 128?) headed “Particle filter system (Diesel) that provides DPF-related advice for the Boxer owner/driver.

Steve H - 2018-02-16 1:08 PM

I'm having one of these fitted to my motorhome next month. Is it the answer to scrappage??

https://www.cgon.co.uk/

Hmm, censured by the ASA for misleading advertising and making claims based on unscientific testing.

Also claimed their device successfully in use by Stobart, who subsequently confirmed they had never fitted it to any of their fleet!

I think I'll keep my money in my pocket.

thanks derek, ill have a look at that. i do now recall that at my last service i asked when they recommended the cambelt change (i did my last van every 4 years) and was told never as the engine was ford (or iveco) ??? cant remember, i was too happy celebrating not having to change it !!!!!

You can’t change what’s not there.

Your Boxer’s 2.2litre Ford-derived motor has a timing-chain not a timing-belt, and its timing-chain should (if one is lucky!) last the life of the motor.

The Euro 6 2.0litre motor fitted to Peugeot Boxer/Citroen Relays (replacing the 2.2litre powerplant) does have a timing-belt though.

Steve H - 2018-02-16 1:08 PM

I'm having one of these fitted to my motorhome next month. Is it the answer to scrappage??

https://www.cgon.co.uk/

Can't find this on the list, unless I've missed it, of approved devices for TfL LEZ so can't see this being an answer yet!

If it is not an approved device for TfL then it is unlikely to be approved anywhere else, so it may give the user a warm feeling but it will do nothing to improve viability of existing motorhomes/ diesels, more is the pity!

I'd save your money if I were you!

Bas

Archived