12volt TV at Aldi Sunday 25th

Vernon

Hopefully the sound problem that affected last years (and the years before too, according to the Aldi customer reviews) 21.5" version when playing DVDs has been fixed with this. Shame, as the picture quality was OK.

Don't think that the "3 year warranty" means it will be fixed if it gives problems - when I contacted "Bauhn" for support on a new one last year with the sound problem, their line then was that these were "too cheap to fix" & at the weekend after launch they had no replacements - take it back to store for your money back was the only option offered by the Customer Helpline.

Previous experience with Aldi electricals is that after the first 30 days you get a pro-rata refund according to how much of the warranty period remains - I had a coffee maker fail after a year & got 2/3rds of the purchase price refunded.

If you choose to get one, test it thoroughly immediately after purchase with a DVD to see if the sound is OK - on the one I had the sound cut off completely during quieter periods of dialogue. As it played music CDs without a problem, I suspect that this was a software glitch. This same issue was mentioned by others in Aldi reviews.

HTH

Nigel B

I'm posting this from a Medion PC I bought from Aldi in 2001 and have been using regularly since replacing only hard drives and DVD drives :-D

(New 160GB PATA Hard drives can now be bought off ebay for £10 which is handy as I regularly have to reformat them and re-install Windows XP as it slows down after a while)

Bought 2 DVD players from Aldi more recently which were crap, but they gave an instant no quibble refunds. Problem with them was most of the TV programmes I have recorded are in 4:3 format. (All the old stuff, Dads Army etc was made in 4:3) The Aldi one would only play them stretched wide in 16:9 format. Wheras with both the Samsung and Alba ones I have you can adjust this so the picture is not stretched.

Archived