Breakdown cover

Mikeandthewife

If you insure your van with Comfort you can add 12 months breakdown cover for £65. The breakdown side is provided through the RAC. Reports on the service have been very favourable. It has also been generous on the size of vehicle that can be covered, but check before buying, as times change!

Brian Kirby - 2018-02-22 3:45 PM

If you insure your van with Comfort you can add 12 months breakdown cover for £65. The breakdown side is provided through the RAC. Reports on the service have been very favourable. It has also been generous on the size of vehicle that can be covered, but check before buying, as times change!

The Bailey Motorhome Owners Group, who have a club discount with Comfort, were informed only yesterday by Comfort that they have switched their breakdown insurance provider from the RAC to the AA. Clarification is awaited upon the limits imposed by the AA, currently max. 3500Kg and 2.3m width. As you say, check before buying.

I have received the following reply from comfort with regards to the breakdown cover with the AA as my insurance is due for renewal shortly.

Good morning

Further to your email, I can confirm that your vehicle will be covered. Restrictions are that the vehicle must not weigh more than 20 tonnes gross vehicle mass or be over 12 metres (40 feet) in length or over 2.65 metres (5 feet 6”)  wide.

Best regards

Like me, many of you who have purchased a Fiat Ducato based m/h in the last 2 years may not know that it comes with a very comprehensive european wide breakdown and accident recovery package called Fiat Camper Assist.

If anyone out there knows about this amazing free-bee perhaps they can explain to me why dealers are apparently reluctant to mention it and why there are no options available for puchasing an extension after the two year warrantee has expired

V

Muswell - 2018-02-22 10:20 AM

All I can say is that the Red Pennant response when we had a problem in Italy was brilliant, so I wouldn't use anyone else.

My own cover (which is with Caravan Guard) is up for renewal in mid-March. Just got a quote from Caravan Club Red Pennant for European Breakdown cover for an annual multi-trip policy (max trip duration of 66 days) and the premium quoted was £419, and I would have to get UK breakdown cover cover on top of that. I stressed that I wanted motoring only cover and not motoring and personal cover. Am I missing something? Caravan Guard include UK and European cover for around £80! What is so special about Red Pennant that it charges so much?

Yes I gt a similar quote from the C&MC. So I fished around. Rang Camper Assist and they said it wasn't possible to extend the cover. I can't imagine why they don't extend it beyond 2 years.Anyway I found a vehicle breakdown only policy (no personal cover) with First$Recovery at only £79 for UK and Europe, allows 90 days in any single trip. This is limited to vans under 3.5 tonnes though.

Hi all

I have just taken out European and UK national breakdown cover with First4Recovery for large motorhomes (over 3.5t and up to 12m) for £118.

Hopefully I will never have to find out how good they are but on-line reviews suggest a good service.

Archived