Ford check

tazdog6007

My local Ford dealer phoned to arrange a check of my tranny for one hour,the pull being further Ford breakdown cover.I told the person that being a m/home that was covered by my insurance.The cost will be £99,which does not include the fitting of any parts.In other words it seems to be a visual check on fluids wiper blades lights etc.stuff that anyone with a single brain cell and eyes can manage.It would have no effect on any warrenty claim,as it is not a schedule service.I think i will pass and put the £99 towards an oil change.i.e something of a positive benifit.Anyone else had this call?

Hi everyone ,

My first time posting on this forum , but I’ve been a lurker for a while.

We changed our previous motorhome for a Benimar Tessoro 463 on an automatic Transit base 4 months ago.

Now in answer to the original post. I’ve been a Transit owner for nearly 40 years to do with my job and any time the the local Ford dealer has contacted me it was to benefit the dealer. I can’t remember the dealer ever phoning me to find out if everything is ok etc. Sounds to me like they are slow in the workshop at the moment.

I don’t have my work vans serviced by the dealer , I use a local independent garage that is totally trustworthy. They always use genuine Ford parts to maintain the warranty.

The only time I’ve visited the dealer is for any warranty work , which fortunately has been very minor. ( replacement inlet air temperature sensor on my current Transit Custom ).

Now I know the new Tranny had a bit of a shakey start with the injector and cam gear problem , hopefully now sorted. But the driving dynamics between our Peugeot Elddis and the Tessoro are like chalk and cheese. The Sevel van felt like “a van” but the Transit feels like a car and the cab ergonomics are spot on.

The 170 engine with a proper automatic gearbox is an absolute joy

Happy travels to all

Must just be normal Ford practice, as I was contacted about mine by the local Transit Centre. I already knew the "annual check" was £99 (with an oil & filter change about another £90 extra if requested), as I had asked last year when I finally picked mine up after 6 weeks in the workshop getting the cam gear & failed injectors replaced. I didn't think that the 12 months recovery extension would be applicable, as the 2 year initial warranty & recovery was still in place. Ford's generous compensation for 6 weeks lack of use was a £100 service voucher (that could not be used for oil) - I gave it to the motorhome dealer when I got rid of of the van in January so he could get the Warranty book stamped FOC.

I hated mine - to the point of doing a deal to replace it with the same motorhome on the Fiat base after 6 months of uncomforatable seating, poor performance, badly chosen gear ratios, poor economy, high Adblue consumption, poor towing performance & the misery of having to interact with Ford and their dealers. I took out extra recovery cover, as it appeared that the Ford offering would not cover a trailer & Ford had amply demonstrated their complete lack of flexibility or understanding of the way a motorhome is used.

Has yours had the "dipsick" recall, or had that issue been resolved before yours was built ? As a long-term Transit operator, you are probably aware of the Ford ETIS website, which shows any outstanding recalls on your vehicle if you enter your registration number or VIN. The dipstick recall for mine showed on ETIS several weeks before the letter from Ford came though.

Glad to hear that yours is meeting your expectations & hope that it continues to do so .

Thanks for the replies,and i must agree on Fords poor custermer service as i had to contact this local dealer on the service required appearing on the dash at regular intervals,to be told only then that it was the subject of a recall. All was sorted and the vehicle is a joy to drive.It is our tenth m/home,van conversions,and i think the Ford is one of the best as a base motor,but each to his own.

Yes I did check on the Ford ETIS website for any recalls on the motorhome before we bought it , using the VIN number.

It’s a 2018 model so should hopefully be ok. I do agree about Fords customer service , it’s pretty dire to say the least.

I also agree with you that the gear ratios are too high. Fortunately the motorhome is an auto so all is good , but my Transit custom is a manual and sixth gear is pretty useless until you’re on a dual carriageway.

Fuel consumption is better than our previous Peugeot Elddis. I averaged about 26 to 27 mpg in the Peugeot. The Transit is already giving this figure with only 600 miles on the clock and this will improve as the engine loosens up.

I note the comment about expecting the mpg to improve with added miles and I have seen this statement made quite often but I wonder if this is just a myth. My Fiat 150 Comfortmatic is on about 12k now after 4 years and the mpg has been around 28mpg since the start. The only differerence is if I go on a long motorway run when it might go up to 30mpg if I stick to around 65mph. I record every tank fill and mpg so I know this is correct. For my last 5 cars I have found the same in that the mpg stays much the same on average over mileages up to 70k depending of course on the type of road and speed. I found a review on line of a study done on a fleet of cars that were on test which concluded that there was no discernible increase in mpg over time. I can't understand why there would be and doubt that the engine loosening up would return much, if any, increase in mpg.

If someone said to me that, based on tests, mpg could be expected to increase over time by something like 20%+ I might be interested but for reports of less that that I would think this is inconclusive and more likely to be down to road conditions, speed etc.

I do believe, however, that the engine in my van is loosening up and that it delivers the power better and that the Comfortmatic box is quicker to react and is smoother. This must be the case as my wife even commented on it unprompted and she has never driven the van

"Fuel consumption is better than our previous Peugeot Elddis. I averaged about 26 to 27 mpg in the Peugeot. The Transit is already giving this figure with only 600 miles on the clock and this will improve as the engine loosens up."

Is that consumption from the dash tank average readout, or calculated from fuel quantity / distance ?

My dash readout showed up to 28 mpg, but when comparing to the "actual" calculated value the readout proved to be consistently 2 -3 mpg optimistic. Mine averaged (actual) between 24 and 26 mpg - I had hoped it would improve with increasing mileage, but after 5400 miles (when it went) it was no different to as supplied. My previous Ducato 130 started at 28 & improved over 20,000 miles to low 30s, driven at similar speeds over similar roads with the same motorcycle trailer & bikes attached. Adblue consuption worked out at about 170 miles / litre, so about 3500 miles per tankful (quite a bit less than the "up to 6000 miles" per tank that Ford claim).

When I took it in for the dipstick recall late last year, I asked the Ford dealer about both fuel & Adblue consumption being higher than expected. I habitually drive with the tank average consumption display showing & the technician who returned the van to me commented that the 26.5 mpg it was showing was the highest he had seen on a Euro 6 Transit motorhome - most were below 25 mpg indicated. He also said that every motorhome owner complained about higher than expected Adblue usage - though as Adblue is dosed according to diesel consumption, high fuel consumption will automatically lead to high Adbue consumption.

As both Ford and Fiat seem to practice the art of "developement by end user", and as my Transit was one of the first Euro 6 models produced, I could believe that a 2018 built van could perform better than my 2017 did. - though I would also have thought that a manual transmission van would be more economical than a torque converter automatic.

Nigel B

Nigel

The fuel consumption figures are taken from topping up the tank and calculating the mpg from the mileage driven. I agree that the trip computer readout always seems slightly optimistic on any vehicle.

Like you I thought that a 170 auto would not be able to compete with a 130 manual , but so far the two are pretty much equal. That will become more obvious as a season of touring unfolds.

I’ve already got 10 litres of AdBlue on board form reading various posts on the supposed high consumption.

Just waiting for this damn weather to change and spring to finally get here so we can all get out and start enjoying our Motorhomes

Colin

"Just waiting for this damn weather to change and spring to finally get here so we can all get out and start enjoying our Motorhomes"

Amen to that, Colin !

Easter "shake down" site booked & ferries sorted for two trips abroad - just need the weather to co-operate now.

I got my Adblue from Ebay - at the time £10.40 for 10 litres delivered. I had look today & it can be had for £9 for 10 litres delivered - getting toward HGV pump prices at that.

Nigel B

Archived