Weather

Pete-B

Hi all, We're in Lincolnshire snowed in with all main roads totally closed and only last week we had people knocking on the door preaching to me on what I should do to prevent global warming.

Don't you just love it.

I saw a TV interview of 'the man in the street' and he said when he were a lad it were like this evry winter and you just got on with it.

He were right!

Cars didn't often have heaters and we all had wellies and the trains ran reliably on time.

Progress eh?

At night we had stone hot water bottles for warmth. In the morning the windows had 1/4 inch of ice on them. We breathed on the ice to make a hole to see out. The bed covers were frosty.The outside toilet piping was permanently frozen. There was one coal fire only for cooking which took an hour to warm up so someone had to get up and clean out the old embers then prepare and light a new one.

At school we were given 1/3 bottles of milk. It expanded out the top when frozen. Telephone lines laid on the ground due to the weight of snow.

Going down when I were a lad route, I was born in Yorkshire and went to school there in the late Thirties and Forties. I truly remember walking to school in deep snow wearing just wooden clogs no socks and short trousers, and, there were no underpants in them days.

When I talk to my Granddaughter about the old days and living with my Three sisters, Three brothers and Mam and Dad in a Three bedroom miners house, a tin bath in front of the fire coal fire, (when your turn came around), and outside privy down the garden, her reply is, yea, yea, yea Grandad you've been dreaming again

Life was a real struggle but we didn't think so then because, the whole pit village existed the same way and we had nothing to compare our life with. Our main diet was bread and dripping and very often, our tea consisted of (pobs), that is, a bowl of hot tea with lumps of bread broken into it.

I do know though, I had a very happy childhood and part of a very close family. I'm now in my Eighties worked outside in on the building most of my working life, in great health (thanks to him up there) and living life as though I was still Forty.

I was shoveling snow off the drive this morning without a coat and no gloves on in sub zero temps. My neighbour, whose in his Thirties came out dressed in a huge coat, gloves and scarf and said, "you'll kill yourself out here dressed like that, he'll never know the half on it!

I should write book, perhaps I will when I grow old.

Tracker - 2018-03-02 2:10 PM

I saw a TV interview of 'the man in the street' and he said when he were a lad it were like this evry winter and you just got on with it.

He were right!

Cars didn't often have heaters and we all had wellies and the trains ran reliably on time.

Progress eh?

and the Groat was worth 1.95€ and 35 Matabili gumbo beads :-)

Will86 - 2018-03-02 4:24 PM

At night we had stone hot water bottles for warmth. In the morning the windows had 1/4 inch of ice on them. We breathed on the ice to make a hole to see out. The bed covers were frosty.The outside toilet piping was permanently frozen. There was one coal fire only for cooking which took an hour to warm up so someone had to get up and clean out the old embers then prepare and light a new one.

At school we were given 1/3 bottles of milk. It expanded out the top when frozen. Telephone lines laid on the ground due to the weight of snow.

and Queen Victoria declared a state of emergency :D

The lowest overnight temperatures we had last week was -6c, 20+ years ago this would not have been in anyway remarkable, although the snow some got was not that common. Msny of the problems seem to stem from more people expecting to travel in poor conditions, those big hold ups on the m80 etc where not due to roads being blocked by snow, but accidents.

As for Will and Trackers efforts, I was born in the 50s, the first house we lived in (which I barely remember) had no running water, the toilet was a 'bucket and chuckit' down the bottom of garden, and at one end of row of cottages was our water source, I can't recall now if it was a pump or tap, IIRC it was the 70s when the last house in the village got plumbed in.

bodach - 2018-03-05 12:25 PM

Do I get the impression that some think Will86 and Tracker are exaggerating? In my memory they are not. Present generation soft as putty with no idea of what real life was like for lots of people.

..and who brought up the "present generation" to be "soft as putty"? (lol)

I tried googling "School closures" Winter 1963 and it didn't throw much up....

Football league off from mid December 1962 to end February '63 as pitches frozen as temp never got up to freezing.....

Everybody walked to school and work (as usual) classrooms were freezing - but so was everyroom at home except for the one room with a fire.

No H&S hazards in playground - except jostling in the queue for the 10 yard slide carefully polished into the ice !! :-) (lol)

"The good old days"

We had great slides in the playground. Most kids in my area of Stirlingshire had tacketty boots. Great fun. My first new car was a Mini. I remember that a heater was an optional extra. Mind you the heater in my 04 Ducato is probably better than nothing but only just. After about 10 miles I can feel a faint warmth which does not increase. Obviously an Italian vehicle designed for warmer climes. I now isolate the cab area in winter which means I can eventually take off my gloves but the fur lined boots ( bought for a VW Van conversion) remain a necessary winter accessory.

MartinP - 2018-03-05 6:03 PM

I tried googling "School closures" Winter 1963 and it didn't throw much up....

Football league off from mid December 1962 to end February '63 as pitches frozen as temp never got up to freezing.....

Everybody walked to school and work (as usual) classrooms were freezing - but so was everyroom at home except for the one room with a fire.

No H&S hazards in playground - except jostling in the queue for the 10 yard slide carefully polished into the ice !! :-) (lol)

"The good old days"

I think it's fair to say that, generally, nowadays folk tend to travel further during their day to day lives...

Their workplace is not always walkable, the same of their kids' school and the "local" shop, is now an out of town retail park etc(and the trucks supplying them, come from huge depots 100s of miles away).

I'd like to think that not many folk ventured out in the depths of it all-and possibly blocked roads etc- just for the fun of it...? (although judging by the number of news reports, half the vehicles on the roads must have been outside broadcasting units?! (lol) )

As for H&S hazards..."Back in the day", parents wouldn't have dreamt of threatening to sue(or worse!) if their child fell over on the ice.. :-S

(so we can't really blame schools, some commercial premises etc from covering their backsides..)

Archived