GLOBESCOUT shower

Richard1550

We are new to camper vans (had various trailer tents when the children were around) and are looking at buying our first. We like the GLOBESCOUT layout, however the only one available to look around is in Newark ( we live in South Somerset). We have seen other Globecars and like the general layout/finish however don’t like the shower taking up the passageway.

I would appreciate views on how ‘userfriendly’ The shower is in the GLOBESCOUT?

I guess this is similar to our Canpscout? If so my thoughts are well known on this, I think it's the best shower arrangement for the relatively small space in a campervan.

P.s. I can go into more details when I get home tonight if you wish

colin - 2018-03-13 2:41 PM

I guess this is similar to our Canpscout?...

The toilet compartment of the current model Globescout has its shower tray completely inside it (as shown in the Globescout layout on the following link and in the the attached photo) not extending into the passageway outside the compartment - an arrangement Richard is not keen on.

http://www.globecar.co.uk/models.php

There’s a 2017 review here

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/motorhome-review-globecar-globescout/936853

2056419295_toiletcompartment.jpg.48068d90adf12314baba6aecc43bab45.jpg

So it would seem Richard is looking at either the Roadscout R, or a older model from the part of post which says "the shower taking up the passageway".

p.s. I see SMC have an ad for "Globescout 600L", but this may be a Globestar 600L.

I'm afraid Richard you'll have to post more details.

colin - 2018-03-13 7:43 PM

So it would seem Richard is looking at either the Roadscout R, or a older model from the part of post which says "the shower taking up the passageway”....

Not sure how you have concluded that as Richard emphasises (in CAPITALS) that he is interested in the Globescout model specifically, and adds "We have seen other Globecars and like the general layout/finish - however don’t like the shower taking up the passageway”.

Globecar’s full 2018 range can be viewed here

https://www.globecar.de/

and includes five “Globescout” variants, two having the shower completely within the toilet compartment and three with the shower-tray extending across the passageway outside the toilet compartment. However only two of those five designs seem to be offered for the UK market (Globescout and Globescout Vario) with the Vario variant have the ‘passageway shower’ that Richard dislikes.

SMC’s wwbsite currently advertises two Globescouts

https://www.smcmotorhomes.co.uk/new-motorhomes-details/used-globecar-globescout--fiat-ducato-23-m-jet-130-fre-van-base-iron-grey-manual-diesel/id-5929/

https://www.smcmotorhomes.co.uk/new-motorhomes-details/used-globecar-globescout-fiat-ducato-23-130ps-panel-van-golden-white-manual-diesel/id-7897/

with both adverts carrying photos of the toilet compartment.

The vehicle advertised by SMC as a “Globescout 600L” is indeed a “Globestar 600L” - it says so in the photos of the vehicle’s exterior.

It’s not easy to shoehorn a really user-friendly shower into a 6-metre-long panel-van conversion (PVC) and motorhome manufacturers often exploit the available space by making it dual-purpose (eg. passageway and shower-tray).

It’s well recognised that shower-curtains delight in sticking to wet/soapy bodies, so using a Globescout’s compact shower would need care. And it’s stating the obvious that the larger the people showering are physically, and the more often they want to shower, the more potentially irritating a Globescout’s shower would likely become. But lots of motorcaravanners don’t (or rarely) use their motorhome’s onboard shower, preferring instead to use campsite facilities, and in such cases how well the toilet compartment functions as a toilet/washroom will be more important than its showering capability.

If regularly showering in a 6-metre PVC is high on the priority list, Rapido offers the V55 model with the “MODUL’SPACE” feature that has separate shower and toilet compartments. How this arrangement works should be apparent from the photos here.

http://www.rapido-motorhome.co.uk/motorhome_vans_vans_v55.chtml

I notice that there is a couple of Globecar-related Facebook sites that might be useful for obtaining feedback from Globescout owners about the shower’s practicality.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/Globecar-Possl-forum-237394196692444/

https://www.facebook.com/GlobecarMotorhomesUK/

....I think Colin has misinterpreted the original post. I suspect Richard is expressing a liking for the Globecar range, and specifically for the Globescout because it doesn't have the shower in the aisle.

The question is phrased, I think, to seek encouragement about the aisle arrangement, in order to ascertain whether he should be more inclusive in his model selection.

There are comments in other threads on here, but i will repeat mine (about my Campscout) for ease of reading.

I am less enthusiastic than Colin has been about the arrangement, since it does have some drawbacks, but, on balance, for me it represents a good balance of space use for a PVC, with more pluses than minuses.

We use the shower in our 'van, as, though we use campsites, we also tend to use Aires/Stellplätze on the continent. As a shower, the arrangement is 'adequate'. It does take a little time to set up, and in addition, it is essential to 'wipe down' after use (though this is generally the case with all non-dedicated motorhome shower compartments). The nature of the tambour door makes the latter slightly more demanding than some. That's the downside.

On the upside, the arrangement makes for a much bigger washroom/toilet compartment than is usual in a PVC without stealing the associated space. With my less-than-sylph-like figure, this is a huge plus. The tambour door also provides an easy means of isolating the front or rear of the 'van, should someone be getting changed, or indeed be sleeping in the rear, whilst the other is reading in the front. In our case, unless showering, only the smaller section of door is generally used, as isolating the front of the compartment gives a washroom/changing room to the rear (as long as the rear blinds are drawn, of course ;-) ).

You pays your money......

Yes, it seems I may have interpreted the OP wrong. I blame it on reading on my phone.

:D

As you can imagine I'm not that keen on this model, one of the downsides of the Campscout shower is having to use a curtain, but as the shower is a good size it doesn't cling to you in use, and when pulled aside is out of way and you don't brush against it, I'm not at all sure this would be case with the small washroom in Globescout.

Robinhood - 2018-03-14 8:36 AM

In our case, unless showering, only the smaller section of door is generally used, as isolating the front of the compartment gives a washroom/changing room to the rear (as long as the rear blinds are drawn, of course ;-) ).

You pays your money......

In daylight and not using lighting you can't see into the van, but we did find it slightly disconcerting at first when someone walked past the van. Even when showering it's a much better arrangement IMO, as once the shower is finished you can roll back one section and access the rear to get clothes and have large area to dress whilst the front of van is being used with the blinds open and even the SLD open.

Richard1550 - 2018-03-19 11:02 PM

Thanks very much for the various replies. We were specifically looking at the Globescout as we did not want to infringe in the passageway. I think we will keep a lookout for when one is advertised closer to us and then go and see it.

It's a marmite thing, from above you will see I'm a great fan of the larger shower in the passageway (not so sure on the smaller ones such as Gobestar 600L). There are upsides and downsides to any layout, IMO in a PVC the upsides outweigh downsides, I think it also could be useful in a small coachbuilt, where space is also at a premium.

Several motorhome manufacturers nowadays offer innovative showering arrangements for 6-metre long panel-van conversions.

Malibu/Carthago uses a peculiar ‘slide away’ toilet (that I’ve always been wary of) and Adria offers 6m-long Van models with showering arrangements similar to Globecar (ie. with the shower-tray inside the toilet compartment or extending into the passageway outside).

http://www.adria-mobil.com/vans/twin+range/

http://www.adria-mobil.com/application/adria/upload/pdf/catalogues/int_van_2018_book_05_web.pdf

Rapido’s V55 model has a dedicated shower compartment, but an odd swinging wardrobe-unit as a result.

I don’t know how the Globecar and Adria specifications/prices compare, but I’d definitely research the Adria Van ranges carefully before opting for a Globecar.

colin - 2018-03-20 10:07 AM

Richard1550 - 2018-03-19 11:02 PM

Thanks very much for the various replies. We were specifically looking at the Globescout as we did not want to infringe in the passageway. I think we will keep a lookout for when one is advertised closer to us and then go and see it.

It's a marmite thing, from above you will see I'm a great fan of the larger shower in the passageway (not so sure on the smaller ones such as Gobestar 600L). There are upsides and downsides to any layout, IMO in a PVC the upsides outweigh downsides, I think it also could be useful in a small coachbuilt, where space is also at a premium.

We found a further disadvantage for us of the "passageway showers" was that gaining access to the washroom, but particularly the toilet, involved shuffling either segmental sliding, or tambour, doors (depending on make) to get in. If both occupants wish to use the toilet during the night, the logistics of who goes first, who goes second, and where the other waits either to access the toilet, or to return to bed, is somewhat of a faff.

This affects layouts based on a transverse double bed: it should not arise in the case of longitudinal beds. A shower contained entirely within the washroom eliminates that problem but, as stated above, does result in a compromised shower.

Agree with Derek's comments re the Malibu swivel toilet, especially how one could clean the space into which the toilet rotates. However, they have a good washroom layout using hinged (albeit slightly finicky) shower screens instead of a curtain.

Archived