Unilever (Br)Exits UK

Bulletguy

John52 - 2018-03-18 8:30 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-03-17 9:14 PM

I never use Homebase since their prices increased and stock limited by comparison to other diy stores.

I used to think that until a few months ago when the local woodyard ran out of fence panels and posts. I went to Homebase as a last resort and was shocked to find them cheaper 8-)

Dearer on other stuff though so you've got to watch em ;-)

A little tip for a friend ... Never go to the DIY stores ... Builders and timber suppliers should always be cheaper on most things and especially when you ask what they can do on the price

antony1969 - 2018-03-18 8:56 AM

A little tip for a friend ... Never go to the DIY stores ... Builders and timber suppliers should always be cheaper on most things and especially when you ask what they can do on the price

Plus you are supporting a local company employing local people and spending their profits locally - even if they do buy German cars - rather than supporting an anonymous corporation ultimately based who knows where in the world.

I never use Homebase since their prices increased and stock limited by comparison to other diy stores.

I used to think that until a few months ago when the local woodyard ran out of fence panels and posts. I went to Homebase as a last resort and was shocked to find them cheaper 8-)

Yes but at the ones round here you've got to have an account, and the discount is based on how much you spend, so not much use to me. Went into B&Q depot trade side, picked stuff off the shelf, went to the counter and they tried to charge me about twice the marked price (literally) because I don't have a trade account there. >:-) So I told them they could keep it Went to Screwfix nearby (owned by same company - Kingfisher) and got it nearly as cheap as B&Q trade.

John52 - 2018-03-18 12:27 PM

Yes but at the ones round here you've got to have an account, and the discount is based on how much you spend, so not much use to me. Went into B&Q depot trade side, picked stuff off the shelf, went to the counter and they tried to charge me about twice the marked price (literally) because I don't have a trade account there. >:-) So I told them they could keep it Went to Screwfix nearby (owned by same company - Kingfisher) and got it nearly as cheap as B&Q trade.

Fair enough ... I have a BandQ trade account here in the pits but they can't touch my building suppliers ... Anyway you've a deal your happy with so no problem

Last time i contacted H/B i was after some 9mm mdf. Unusual measurement but it had to be that thickness and no more. You'll laugh when i tell you what i needed it for too! Battens to mount door speakers in my van.

Long story but the job itself turned out to be unexpectedly much longer than ever planned for too! Ford oem speakers are rubbish so i had a look and they're 7 x 5 elliptical mounted in the doors. Ordered a pair of Alpine speakers, same size etc but way more efficient than Fords.....so knew i could have Pink Floyd and ELO blasting forth full bore effortlessly without any horrible distortion.

BUT......when i came to fit 'em found Ford had done a dirty trick. The door mounting appears elliptical.....but isn't! So after market speakers won't 'drop straight in'. Only way round it was to manufacture a batten, screw that to the inner door panel, then mount my Alpines.

I tried every diy store but none had any of that spec so ended up at a timber merchant. Had to buy a whole sheet as he had no off-cuts but at least it's done the job!

Anyone need any 9mm mdf....i've got a large sheet of the damn stuff here! (lol)

Bulletguy - 2018-03-18 4:24 PM

Last time i contacted H/B i was after some 9mm mdf. Unusual measurement but it had to be that thickness and no more. You'll laugh when i tell you what i needed it for too! Battens to mount door speakers in my van.

Long story but the job itself turned out to be unexpectedly much longer than ever planned for too! Ford oem speakers are rubbish so i had a look and they're 7 x 5 elliptical mounted in the doors. Ordered a pair of Alpine speakers, same size etc but way more efficient than Fords.....so knew i could have Pink Floyd and ELO blasting forth full bore effortlessly without any horrible distortion.

BUT......when i came to fit 'em found Ford had done a dirty trick. The door mounting appears elliptical.....but isn't! So after market speakers won't 'drop straight in'. Only way round it was to manufacture a batten, screw that to the inner door panel, then mount my Alpines.

I tried every diy store but none had any of that spec so ended up at a timber merchant. Had to buy a whole sheet as he had no off-cuts but at least it's done the job!

For a start you should not use MDF in an area subject to damp and its a crap material. Homebase have an excellent 9mm hardwood exterior ply in half sheets and would be a much better product to use in this area. Advise given in good faith not a criticism. B-)

teflon2 - 2018-03-18 6:54 PM

For a start you should not use MDF in an area subject to damp and its a crap material. Homebase have an excellent 9mm hardwood exterior ply in half sheets and would be a much better product to use in this area.

Shhh don't tell him that!

I was hoping he would make himslf a wee boat with the mdf and sail away until it melted!

For a start you should not use MDF in an area subject to damp and its a crap material. Homebase have an excellent 9mm hardwood exterior ply in half sheets and would be a much better product to use in this area. Advise given in good faith not a criticism. B-)

Teflon......i'm not daft! In fact it was the first thing i thought of and did wonder after posting if anyone would pick me up on that so you didn't disappoint! ;-)

Small problem easily overcome. Once cut out before fitting i soaked them in a tray of yacht varnish i thinned down enough for them to absorb. Left them soaking for a couple of days before taking them out then putting a couple of thick coats on. Just had a look at the date when i did them....May 2014, and they are still 100% perfect. ;-)

I knew it would work as i've done a similar exercise before. A hobby of mine is SW listening and i made my own outdoor end-fed longwire antenna from braided copper wire. It was ideal for the job apart from one thing....it had no protective coating. So i 'made' my own! Once i'd got the length of wire (about 60ft) i heated up some Waxoyl, poured it into a tray and soaked the wire in it. That was 23 years ago.......and the antenna is still there....still functioning perfectly :-D

Here is a photo of one of the battens i made.

221369061_SPKRBatten.jpg.0435f6635ab60f597dd2819dfa02bea0.jpg

Bulletguy - 2018-03-18 8:53 PM

Teflon......i'm not daft! In fact it was the first thing i thought of and did wonder after posting if anyone would pick me up on that so you didn't disappoint! ;-)

Small problem easily overcome. Once cut out before fitting i soaked them in a tray of yacht varnish i thinned down enough for them to absorb. Left them soaking for a couple of days before taking them out then putting a couple of thick coats on. Just had a look at the date when i did them....May 2014, and they are still 100% perfect. ;-)

I knew it would work as i've done a similar exercise before. A hobby of mine is SW listening and i made my own outdoor end-fed longwire antenna from braided copper wire. It was ideal for the job apart from one thing....it had no protective coating. So i 'made' my own! Once i'd got the length of wire (about 60ft) i heated up some Waxoyl, poured it into a tray and soaked the wire in it. That was 23 years ago.......and the antenna is still there....still functioning perfectly :-D

Here is a photo of one of the battens i made.

Did someone accuse you of being daft ?. Looking at the screw holes in your battens the varnish didn't penetrate very far.

*-)

teflon2 - 2018-03-19 5:52 PM

Did someone accuse you of being daft ?. Looking at the screw holes in your battens the varnish didn't penetrate very far.

*-)

That's because you aren't seeing screw holes but Tee nuts.....four of 'em for the speaker which was bolted in and as the bolt tightens, pulls the tee nut into the batten. ;-)

1552831509_TEENUTS.jpg.832099fb0afe6d9f2479e5b5f245faba.jpg

• 6 months later...
Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-03-16 9:32 PM

Unilever are shifting it's HQ out of London and relocating to Netherlands after almost a century in UK. CEO Paul Polman says "it has nothing to do with Brexit"......but prior to the referendum he said, "if UK were to exit the EU then we have to look seriously as to how we accommodate that to running our businesses.....we have benefited enormously from the European market and were that to disappear, it will have serious consequences".

https://www.channel4.com/news/unilever-is-unileaving-as-company-moves-headquarters-to-rotterdam

Got that wrong didn't you Bullet :D ..........

pelmetman - 2018-10-05 12:47 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-03-16 9:32 PM

Unilever are shifting it's HQ out of London and relocating to Netherlands after almost a century in UK. CEO Paul Polman says "it has nothing to do with Brexit"......but prior to the referendum he said, "if UK were to exit the EU then we have to look seriously as to how we accommodate that to running our businesses.....we have benefited enormously from the European market and were that to disappear, it will have serious consequences".

https://www.channel4.com/news/unilever-is-unileaving-as-company-moves-headquarters-to-rotterdam

Got that wrong didn't you Bullet :D ..........

Nope. If you had listened to the linked interview you would see it was in March. It's now October.....and shareholders are a fickle lot. They only have to see their shares plummeting to change their minds.

Meantime here are a few more for you to consider due to Brexit.

HSBC: moving 1,000 jobs from London to Paris, where it will set up its EU headquarters.

Lloyd’s of London: moving 100 jobs from London to Brussels; EU headquarters from London to Dublin, Ireland.

JPMorgan: “hundreds” of jobs from London to Dublin, Frankfurt, Germany, and Luxembourg.

Barclays: 150 jobs from London to Dublin, where it will set up EU headquarters.

Bank of America: moving EU headquarters from London to Dublin.

UBS: under 1,000 jobs from London to EU offices, including Frankfurt.

Moneygram: moving EU headquarters from London to Brussels.

European Medicines Agency: moving from London to Amsterdam, including 890 jobs.

European Banking Authority: moving from London to Paris, including 180 jobs.

Hi, Bulletguy,

I use those T-nuts too (but I freel they are called somehing else ... can' remember what. Just looked in my Tool Station catalogue ... PRONGED T-nuts). ToolStation are uually cheaper than Screwfix, but thinner catalogue. ToolStation's free shipping starts at £10. I usually check Ebay for fasteners, prices are usually better, and you can buy smaller quantities.

The pronged T-nuts are easy to knock out, and use again, but you often need one screw longer than the rest to pull them in.

I also use ROPE HOOKS from Towsure or Ebay to hang pictures.

W3526602 - 2018-10-05 5:36 PM

Hi, Bulletguy,

I use those T-nuts too (but I freel they are called somehing else ... can' remember what. Just looked in my Tool Station catalogue ... PRONGED T-nuts). ToolStation are uually cheaper than Screwfix, but thinner catalogue. ToolStation's free shipping starts at £10. I usually check Ebay for fasteners, prices are usually better, and you can buy smaller quantities.

Commonly known as T nuts but sometimes 'pronged' or 'captive'......as long as you include the all important 'T' as that distinguishes it from other types of captive nut. I got mine from Screwfix as they had packs of 10 and all i needed was 8.....at £1.89 a pack i wasn't complaining!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-4-pronged-tee-nut-m6-x-9mm-10-pack/79359

Bulletguy - 2018-10-05 6:05 PM

W3526602 - 2018-10-05 5:36 PM

Hi, Bulletguy,

Commonly known as T nuts but sometimes 'pronged' or 'captive'......as long as you include the all important 'T' as that distinguishes it from other types of captive nut. I got mine from Screwfix as they had packs of 10 and all i needed was 8.....at £1.89 a pack i wasn't complaining!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-4-pronged-tee-nut-m6-x-9mm-10-pack/79359

Bargain .... 2 left you could eBay after too .... Lordy ... Amazing

Archived