Mixture of Toll and Non toll roads through Austria?

kevandali

Hi All, I have started a new thread which will hopefully help others in the future intending on the same journey. I am travelling from Zeebrugge through Belgium and Germany and have already decided that I am getting a 'Go Box' for the Austria bit before heading through Slavenia and on to Split, Croatia.

Thing is, I don't want to just get onto the Austrian toll system and stay on it all the way through as I have not yet worked out the toll prices but from what I have read on here, its not going to be cheap staying on toll roads all the way.

To give myself the chance to have a look around and admire the scenery and to also save some money I would like to hear from anyone who has done this trip and mixed toll and non toll roads.

Basically I am after areas where it would be advised to stay on the toll roads and by pass busy areas but at the same time come off the motorways when I can still make good time on parallel non toll roads.

I know its a lot to ask but I am going to start looking into it but I am sure there will be some distinguished, experienced, fellow motorhomer who has drove a =3.5 ton van in this direction.
If I manage to work out a route, I'll come back on here :-)

We've driven through Austria three or four times en route to N Italy and the aim was to avoid motorways, which we achieved until the fourth, when I realised as we were about to enter Austria from a German autobahn that I had passed the last exit before Austria - so I had to get a GoBox, which fortunately turned out to be very easy, at the last services in Germany.  It's a few years ago but it cost me 85€, of which most was supposed to be refundable on exit from Austria.

We only did a few kilometers before exiting the Austrian motorways and reverting to ordinary roads to complete our transit, as on previous tours.  Austria is of course a beautiful place to tour but we had other plans.

We also returned through Austria but avoided motorways, trying as we drove through towns, to find somewhere to return the GoBox.  This proved fruitless and we ended up on the German autobahn again still with GoBox ob board.  Fortune smiled on us and we managed to return it at another German Service Area about 40 km into Germany.  I got about 30€ refunded, so my few miles on Austrian motorways proved to be very expensive indeed.  The prices would be higher now of course.

The GoBox system works smoothly enough but it is designed for HGVs and if your MH is only a little bit above 3,500kg it does seem a steal.  If I was touring Austria I would bite the bullet and get one again, knowing I could return it on the way home through Germany, but if I was heading for Italy again I would plan ahead and avoid motorways - which I had found perfectly easy to do on previous visits.

Kevin, you have to cross the Alps somewhere, and there are a variety of roads on which you could do this, depending on the route you prefer. Some are minor passes, which I suspect would be a bit "hairy" single handing a van over 3.5 tonnes.

I will list off some passes that look reasonably passable for your van, but the information is, in terms of where tolls will be charged, possibly out of date. If you have a sat nav with up to date mapping, and set it to avoid tolls, you should be OK.

From west to east, bearing in mind your desired trajectory, there are:

1 The Fern + Reschen passes between Fussen in Germany and Merano in Italy. You can mix toll with non-toll by choosing to use the A16 from Brennbichl to Zams, and then taking the Landecker tunnel to Fliess, or avoid tolls altogether by using the B171, which parallels the A16, via Landeck and then on to Fliess via the L76. This route is non-toll from the German border just south of Fussen to Brennbichl, and again from Fliess into Italy at Reschen/Resia, and then continues toll-free via Merano, to Bolzano. From Bolzano you can pick up the Italian A22 south to Verona, or take the parallel non-toll SS12.

2 The Brenner pass from Innsbruck to Bolzano. Gives a choice of A13 autobahn, which I believe charges a toll in addition to requiring a vignette if up to 3.5 tonnes (I assume the Go-Box would merely combine the two charges automatically.) or the toll free old Brenner road (B182). Then south from Bolzano as in 1 above. Got half way along this a few years back and the Brenner road was closed by a landslide, so were diverted (toll free) on to the A13 Autobahn to the Italian border.

3. Grossglockner pass, or the Felbertauern tunnel, from Rosenheim in Germany to Leinz in Austria, and then on via Villach on toll or non-toll to choice and continuing into Slovenia via the Karawanken (toll) tunnel.

4 The Tauern + Katschsberg tunnels on the A10 between Salzburg in Austria and Villach in Austria and then as in 3 above. The A10 is toll autobahn, with additional charges for the two tunnels. Comment as above for charging with Go-Box.

Me? I'd dump the Go-Box idea and use route 1 toll free, and then the Italian autostradae where the tolls are more reasonable, or continue toll free, to Trieste.

kevandali - 2018-03-21 4:06 PM  

I know its a lot to ask but I am going to start looking into it but I am sure there will be some distinguished, experienced, fellow motorhomer who has drove a =3.5 ton van in this direction.

I was thinking of you, Brian. Thanks for all the info, will get the maps out :-)

Kev,

though I've used most/all of the routes Brian describes, frankly, I think there is a better alternative given that you are going so far east.

Ignoring tolls, the best non-dawdling route to Slovenia is probably Belgium, Germany, into Austria at Salzburg and down the A10 and A11 to the Karawanken Tunnel into Slovenia.

This is, of course, toll free on the Belgian and German Autobahn as far as the German border just short of Salzburg (and fast, though the German Autobahn have a habit of creating jams, particularly around the many roadworks).

The full length of the best route through Austria is then, of course, all toll, and would take a couple of hours or so, BUT, it is entirely possible to bypass this toll route, paralleling the Autobahns (though at some separation in places), and predicted timings for a car are only about 1.5 hours longer.

Given the nature of the roads, and some of the passes, I think it is more likely to be an additional 2 to 3 hours in a M/H (the total distance is only 142 miles, however, so you don't need to keep average speed high), but you are, in any case, saving a lot of mileage and time on the other, less-direct routes.

The key bit (away from the Autobahn) is the Radstadter Tauern pass, which is fairly benign and well-surfaced for a medium height Alpine pass (I've done it in the 'van to avoid tolls).

The route can be seen here:

https://goo.gl/maps/KNX2BTVxcNK2

There are a few points to note, however:

The toll-free route around Salzburg is a bit convoluted (I've done it); you might want to get value out of your Go-Box and go into Austria and round the motorway to Neu-Anif just at the other end of Salzburg, and then drop off onto the other route.

You'll need to carefully check the rules for the Karawanken Tunnel - I think the bit of Autobahn from the end of the route on the map I've posted into the tunnel is "free", but the tunnel has a toll, and I think this will come off the Go-Box if you have one - you'll also have to check the toll arrangements for the Slovenian half of the tunnel AND the Slovenian Motorways (which used to be toll-gated for over 3.5t, but I think it has just changed) - you can (or at least could) escape the Slovenian motorway system by exiting immediately at the tunnel exit.

If you don't like the look of the tunnel, there is another pass not far to the east, but I can't vouch for it.

Don't get "freaked" by 3.5t limit signs on Austrian non-motorway roads - if they are accompanied by a picture of a lorry (most are) then they do not apply to motorhomes (and I've seen official wording confirming that in the past). A 3.5t limit without the picture of a truck is, however, absolute.

...adding a little bit about both Slovenia and the Karawanken Tunnel.

Slovenia moves to a Go-Box type system for >3.5t from the first of April - previously, you could choose to use the motorway and pay at toll-gates (<=3.5t required only a vignette). I suspect you will want to avoid this and use the other roads (especially as it needs a separate box!).

I can find absolute confirmation that, for a vehicle <=3.5t the separate tunnel toll is valid from/to the first motorway exit on either side (which is pretty logical). I suspect this arrangement will apply equally to vehicles >3.5t (and the tunnel toll is slightly higher for these - I suspect €10.20 either way - it certainly is that heading North from Slovenia).

It is implied that the toll can be paid by Go-Box heading South by picking an appropriate lane (though you might want to approach a toll-booth instead). It is also implied that the toll can be paid by cash/card at the toll booth heading North.

HTH

AFAIK, a vignette or "Go-Box" (not the Austrian one) depending on weight are only required for the motorways.

Details of toll roads here:

https://www.dars.si/Dokumenti/Toll/Tolling_system_and_roads_298.aspx

I am absolutely sure you can traverse the Karawanken Tunnel on the motorway without either an Austrian or Slovenian vignette if you are <=3.5t as long as you enter/exit at the first junction at the two ends (The toll will be payable though).

I would expect the same tunnel arrangement to apply for above 3.5t, albeit at a slightly higher toll.

Brian Kirby - 2018-03-21 6:28 PMKevin,  1 The Fern + Reschen passes between Fussen in Germany and Merano in Italy. You can mix toll with non-toll by choosing to use the A16 from Brennbichl to Zams, and then taking the Landecker tunnel to Fliess, or avoid tolls altogether by using the B171, which parallels the A16, via Landeck and then on to Fliess via the L76. This route is non-toll from the German border just south of Fussen to Brennbichl, and again from Fliess into Italy at Reschen/Resia, and then continues toll-free via Merano, to Bolzano. From Bolzano you can pick up the Italian A22 south to Verona, or take the parallel non-toll SS12.

Well, this travelling malarki is bugging me a lot more than it should, seriously thinking about the route above from Brian (cheers Brian)
Will look at it on more depth and plan it out, then even though I know there will be plenty of stop over places en-route I will look at a few so I have certain places to aim for. When I have worked my a detailed route, probably on Google My Maps, will stick link on here in case some other poor soul wants to travel 1000 miles plus :-)
(PS any suggestions for a decent paper map backup?)

Robinhood - 2018-03-22 5:59 PM

AFAIK, a vignette or "Go-Box" (not the Austrian one) depending on weight are only required for the motorways.

Details of toll roads here:

https://www.dars.si/Dokumenti/Toll/Tolling_system_and_roads_298.aspx

I am absolutely sure you can traverse the Karawanken Tunnel on the motorway without either an Austrian or Slovenian vignette if you are <=3.5t as long as you enter/exit at the first junction at the two ends (The toll will be payable though).

I would expect the same tunnel arrangement to apply for above 3.5t, albeit at a slightly higher toll.

The easiest way to avoid tolls is to set a sat nav to avoid toll roads (assuming its maps are reasonably up to date). This would eliminate the need for a GoBox for the passage through Austria. I would just add that Austria, at its narrowest, is only just over 50 miles wide as the crow flies, and even if taking the longer passage from Salzburg to direct into Slovenia is only a little over 100 miles. I just ask whether this passage should become such an issue for planning the route. One is only looking at 1.5 to 3 hours actual driving time, even off motorway.

However, setting the sat nav to avoid tolls will automatically also avoid toll tunnels and toll Alpine passes.

The alternative routes selected by the sat nav may then be restricted for certain categories of vehicles, possibly including motorhomes exceeding 3.5 tonnes.

Therefore, trying to exclude some toll roads while including others may get a bit tricky, more so if travelling single handed. It would involve pre-planning stops where one can safely change the sat nav settings to include toll roads (for instance just before desirable toll sections - tunnels, selected passes, etc.) and then further stops to switch back to avoiding toll roads once beyond the desired toll section, and so on. To me, that strategy, when single handing, seems liable to ratchet up the stress levels and to become a bit of a distraction.

...though a route to the first exit after Salzburg via Belgian and German motorways is easy enough to enter. Then, a switch to to a toll-free route to the entry before the Karawanken tunnel.

Frankly, I'd initially set up a toll-free route all the way to the latter, and 'wing it' from memory the junction or two on the motorway past Salzburg, exiting at the Anif exit outlined above - the satnav should catch up.

It has the advantage of maximising motorway use, and minimising mileage when looking for a fast journey.

Whilst I last used the Radstadter Tauern pass in a 3,5t vehicle, it is a decent road and (acknowledging the advice on weight limit signs with trucks on) I'm pretty sure there are no adverse restrictions.

• 1 month later...

Decided to go the non Go Box route. Cheers Brian.

1 The Fern + Reschen passes between Fussen in Germany and Merano in Italy. You can mix toll with non-toll by choosing to use the A16 from Brennbichl to Zams, and then taking the Landecker tunnel to Fliess, or avoid tolls altogether by using the B171, which parallels the A16, via Landeck and then on to Fliess via the L76. This route is non-toll from the German border just south of Fussen to Brennbichl, and again from Fliess into Italy at Reschen/Resia, and then continues toll-free via Merano, to Bolzano. From Bolzano you can pick up the Italian A22 south to Verona, or take the parallel non-toll SS12.
At the moment at a place called Sinsheim having polished off a disgusting breakfast and a not so bad coffee. My sat nav is playing up a bit and sometimes wanders between roads instead of doing what it should, luckily I have a back up so fingers crossed all will be well, thanks for all the help everyone.
Will keep you updated.

Going to have a cycling day at Fussen today. Not sure if you’ll get to read this Brian but would I have to set sat nav to non toll to Rifenal just before the Landecker Tunnel and re set it to toll so it directs me through the tunnel? 
What a lovely place, highly recommended ??

I think you would Kevin. I've used the Landecker before it was incorporated into the Austrian toll roads system, but not since. However, I've never found transiting Landeck to be a problem, so have never (yet :-)) considered using the tunnel as a short-cut. Good luck.

I'd echo Brian's view.

If you aren't absolutely critical for time you can save some money by going through the centre of Landeck on the non-toll roads.

It can be a little busy, but eminently driveable, and I've done it reasonably recently in a coachbuilt.

We're planning to take that road later this month, and as we have no plans to stop in Austria (at least going outwards), that's the route we'll take to avoid the need for a vignette.

Thanks so much for the help, both of you.
I had let my imagination take over and had myself being directed up something like Hard Knot Pass, no where near as bad, good roads and amazing views, didn't go through the tunnel as advised.
Just chugging along past lake Garda on the toll road, just Slovenia to navigate but got it sorted.
Cheers again
Kev

Archived