Iplayer abroad

Tezza123

Officially you cant. Its not licensed to work abroad. You can sometimes get around this by using what they call a VPN (Virtual Private Network) which is software you load on your computer that makes it appear like you are still in the UK, then in theory iPlayer and other TV catch up sites should work but iPlayer has got wise to this and they are now blocking VPN providers. Its luck of the draw if it works one day and not the next.

I use Zenmate but you have to pay for a version that offers a UK IP address as you do with most of them but they cost peanuts but be aware that it might not work.

There are a few sites that offer free live TV some of which still work abroad. This one was working a while ago but you would need to check. http://www.tvcatchup.com/

If you are connecting your iPad via WiFi (e.g. using a campsite WiFi) you can stream iPlayer radio, but TV only if you route your connection via a UK based VPN, as has already been mentioned. However, if you buy a UK SIM card or cellular contract and use it in Europe, the network provider routes all your "online data" into their UK servers so that they can manage your usage.This has the effect of making your connection enter the internet as though you were in the UK. Consequently, this means that you will have a UK IP address and the likes of BBC iPlayer, ITV and Channel 4 players etc will work as though you were in the UK.

I use Vodafone UK for this and it works in Spain without problem. However, streaming TV (or downloading to your iPad) is heavy on data usage. I have a 50 GByte/month contract which costs £30, using the SIM in a MiFi unit both at home and abroad. I did away with the UK landline/broadband last year and I am saving £30 a month, which covers the cost of the Voda contract SIM. We also retained a Voda SIM in our mobilephone and this has unlimited calls in the UK and Europe and only one number on which to contact us wherever we are. Win/win, unless this all falls apart after Brexit.

I use TV catchup. Watch all programmes live! Install app, no pay, it’s great. Wi fir needs to be good, but use it all over France!

Good luck. No can use bbc iplayer live, but I download lots of programmes before I go, then watch the downloads. No wi fi needed!

Ian

Matrix Meanderer - 2018-03-25 10:22 PM

The favourite internet site on The Costas this winter was www.myiplayer.com

This gives you access to most of the UK catch up services, the regular UK channels and Sky Sports if you have a decent strength WiFi signal.

Don't ask me how it works, it just does.

:-D

Does it allow you to watch programs that have been on or just live TV? I had a quick look at it just now and it seemed to play live TV but wanted me to install something so I backed off.

Barryd999 - 2018-03-31 9:42 AM

This gives you access to most of the UK catch up services, the regular UK channels and Sky Sports if you have a decent strength WiFi signal.

Does it allow you to watch programs that have been on or just live TV? I had a quick look at it just now and it seemed to play live TV but wanted me to install something so I backed off.

You don't need to download anything, just watch direct from the website. Ignore any download suggestions. 8-)

Matrix Meanderer - 2018-03-31 1:25 PM

You don't need to download anything, just watch direct from the website. Ignore any download suggestions. 8-)

Yes I can see that but it just seems to play live TV. I dont think you can access stuff thats been on like you can on iPlayer or ITV hub etc unless Im missing something.

You can download iPlayer stuff but of course it still expires after 30 days. I tend to download stuff from Torrent sites and just take them away on the laptop hard drive and watch them on there. We had about four months worth on the last trip.

Barryd999 - 2018-03-31 3:34 PM

Yes I can see that but it just seems to play live TV. I dont think you can access stuff thats been on like you can on iPlayer or ITV hub etc unless Im missing something.

You can download iPlayer stuff but of course it still expires after 30 days. I tend to download stuff from Torrent sites and just take them away on the laptop hard drive and watch them on there. We had about four months worth on the last trip.

At the bottom of the screen is a "Catch Up" tab click on that and it takes you to all the catch up services.

Should work direct from the screen.

Matrix Meanderer - 2018-03-31 5:09 PM

At the bottom of the screen is a "Catch Up" tab click on that and it takes you to all the catch up services.

Ah yes I See it. However for iPlayer it just opens up the bbc address so it wont work outside of the UK. I just tried it from Germany (using a VPN). Still useful though.

Barryd999 - 2018-03-31 6:18 PM

Ah yes I See it. However for iPlayer it just opens up the bbc address so it wont work outside of the UK. I just tried it from Germany (using a VPN). Still useful though.

I used the BBC iplayer catch up in Spain in January and it worked OK. People on the Bonterra Park campsite in Benicassim also reported normal working of the catch up services.

So no idea why the VPN didn't work. The wonders of the internet :-D

Matrix Meanderer - 2018-03-31 7:15 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-03-31 6:18 PM

I used the BBC iplayer catch up in Spain in January and it worked OK. People on the Bonterra Park campsite in Benicassim also reported normal working of the catch up services.

So no idea why the VPN didn't work. The wonders of the internet :-D

Its probably still worth trying as presumably the site is somehow using some kind of VPN to access iPlayer but the BBC are picking it up but may not next time if the catchup site changes its IP. I think its all hit and miss now.

The BBC (and Freesat) are very active in tracking and blocking VPNs and Smart DNS services.

I suppose it is simple to do when they see 10,000 connections from the one IP address.

Unlike ITV, C4, Five, and Sky, who seem to be a bit less active.

Also note that if you have a SKy Go / Now TV account, you can now watch those subscription services in another EU country without a VPN / Smart DNS service.

For a limited time

You have something like 35 days use, before the device must be connected to a UK IP address, then the "counter" returns to 0!

All part of the new EU rules...well until Brexit.

From today 1st April you can use upto 4 devices in EU countries from your UK SKY ACCOUNT.

All you have to do is use the same device in the UK on your return to prove your a UK. Citizen and been on holiday.

Archived