Protection for vulnerable switch

michaelmorris

Our recent habitation check identified that the controller for Truma hot water boiler was broken, probably due to accidentally being knocked. £76 later we have a new controller.

I've taken to the opportunity to add some switch guards around it to reduce the risk of it happening again. These are simply two aluminum kitchen 'D ' handles. I nicked the idea from the switch guards used in the Apollo spacecraft!

1487191730_Dhandles(450x600).jpg.0365303e1e0d73aaf96c74625a596b49.jpg

NlFie.jpg.ad72489ef1a65470e3f16e2521dc7c00.jpg

As the switch is also at "dog height " another simple method is to get a small plastic tub that will cover the switch. Then with some self adhesive velcro on the panel and the edge of the tub you have a cover that is easily removable.

A very neat solution, we had a similar problem, the heater control was at the narrowest point between galley and dinette seat which meant those of the 'crew' with wider hips ;-) would brush against it and 'adjust' the temperature, I decided to cut out a square in panel and sink the control.

Perhaps designers more respect - after all bad design must save them at least 50p per van in production costs - and cost them a fortune in bad publicity - and surely nobody would set out to do that - or would they!

As the old saying goes - never attribute to malice anything that can easily be explained by stupidity!

Good topic Michael & good fix for your switches. When I first opened the door into the space below the main bed on my AT Tracker FB I was confronted with an unprotected hot water bleed valve. We keep all manner of kit in that space and I felt it would last one trip before it was damaged. I looked around and found an electrical junction box cover that I mounted on a rocking frame so access to the valve was still possible. You do wonder how the locations of some items are decided. Cheers,

Archived