India wants free movement of people as part of trade deal

Barryd999

This gave me a laugh this morning. Its also covered in more "reliable" online publications but I though the Sun's coverage was funnier because of how its Brexiteer readers if you read the comments have totally spat out their dummies although some of the comments show how vile some of them are.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5994207/india-to-demand-easier-migration-to-the-uk-for-brexit-free-trade-deal/

They also say they are in no hurry to do a deal with us.

Damn those pesky foreigners!! The just wont go away will they? Now we will be swapping French, German and Polish workers for flipping Indians!! Good God!! What happened to the lovely vision of an under populated sunny, whites only 1950s Britain with Bobby's on bicycles clipping young whipper snappers round the Lug hole? (lol)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barryd999 - 2018-04-08 11:46 AM

This gave me a laugh this morning. Its also covered in more "reliable" online publications but I though the Sun's coverage was funnier because of how its Brexiteer readers if you read the comments have totally spat out their dummies although some of the comments show how vile some of them are.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5994207/india-to-demand-easier-migration-to-the-uk-for-brexit-free-trade-deal/

Damn those pesky foreigners!! The just wont go away will they? Now we will be swapping French, German and Polish workers for flipping Indians!! Good God!! What happened to the lovely vision of an under populated sunny, whites only 1950s Britain with Bobby's on bicycles clipping young whipper snappers round the Lug hole? (lol)

Who voted for a whites only 1950s Britain ???

antony1969 - 2018-04-08 12:10 PM

This guy did I bet.

I bit of light hearted Brexiteer stereotyping Antony. However given that most of the older generation voted out and keep banging on about immigrants and how everything was rosy before we joined the EU its easy to see why that stereotype exists.

Barryd999 - 2018-04-08 1:08 PM

This guy did I bet.

I bit of light hearted Brexiteer stereotyping Antony. However given that most of the older generation voted out and keep banging on about immigrants and how everything was rosy before we joined the EU its easy to see why that stereotype exists.

"stereotypes" ... Maybe our "older generation" lived in better times Barry in 1950s Britain without mass immigration , you ever thought of that ???

antony1969 - 2018-04-08 2:41 PM

This guy did I bet.

"stereotypes" ... Maybe our "older generation" lived in better times Barry in 1950s Britain without mass immigration , you ever thought of that ???

Yeah I bet it was great. Rationing still going on, rubbish beer and no Internet. Imagine that! No Internet!!

The 70s when we joined the EU wasnt much better. The country was a basket case then but it seems thats where some want us to go back in time to.

The trouble is you cannot stop globalisation and cut yourself off in a protectionist way unless your self sufficient and have something to offer everybody else wants and the UK is neither self sufficient or has anything outstanding everybody else wants so you have to take part in the global or in our case European market.

Things have moved on and will continue to do so. Better to embrace the global village than try and cut yourself off from it or go back to a time that only exists in the memories of some Brexiteers.

Guest pelmetman

Well if they're coming here to work in skills that we're short of, and not just to access benefits as Big Issue sellers then I don't have an issue providing they also pay for their own health insurance ;-) ..........

Barryd999 - 2018-04-08 2:55 PM

Yeah I bet it was great. Rationing still going on, rubbish beer and no Internet. Imagine that! No Internet!!

The 70s when we joined the EU wasnt much better. The country was a basket case then but it seems thats where some want us to go back in time to.

But looking on the more positive side of the " old days " - that was when the next generation could always expect to be better off than the current one - and could even look forward to buying their own homes !

Can you imagine that !

;-)

Guest pelmetman

The trouble is you cannot stop globalisation and cut yourself off in a protectionist way unless your self sufficient and have something to offer everybody else wants and the UK is neither self sufficient or has anything outstanding everybody else wants so you have to take part in the global or in our case European market.

You don't need globalisation to trade stuff with foreigners Barry ;-) .........

We were doing it before they invented religion and globalisation (lol) ..........

This guy did I bet.

Things have moved on and will continue to do so. Better to embrace the global village than try and cut yourself off from it or go back to a time that only exists in the memories of some Brexiteers.

So the country not now being a "basket case" is all because we are in the EU is it ??? ... Your presuming again Barry and insinuating that our "older generation" want to take us back to 1950s Britain ... I aint heard that anywhere only from you and its a little hypocritical from someone like yourself a pro-EU club member to slam others who want to embrace a growing world market rather than a dying EU market ... In your own words "Better to embrace the global village" Barry

antony1969 - 2018-04-08 3:07 PM

This guy did I bet.

So the country not now being a "basket case" is all because we are in the EU is it ??? ... Your presuming again Barry and insinuating that our "older generation" want to take us back to 1950s Britain ... I aint heard that anywhere only from you and its a little hypocritical from someone like yourself a pro-EU club member to slam others who want to embrace a growing world market rather than a dying EU market ... In your own words "Better to embrace the global village" Barry

There is nothing to stop us trading with the rest of the world while in the EU Antony. We do that already but nothing shows me that there is a line of countries waiting to strike trade deals better than the one we have on our doorstep right now.

I think its a smoke screen all this "lets do trade deals with the rest of the world" instead of Europe when mainly all the Breixteers wanted was to get rid of immigrants. Those Sun readers in the comments on the article certainly dont seem very happy about having to accept immigrants from India but what did they expect? We could set up trade deals with other countries or trading blocs and not have similar conditions attached?

Dave says they can come as long as they pay for their own health care and dont start selling The Big issue. What conditions you put down on free movement as part of a trade deal will depend on who is holding all the cards and I suspect the UK will be looking pretty desperate in the near future.

We had a good deal. A Cracking deal and now we have to start again from not a very good position. I think we will get taken to the cleaners and wait till your pal Donald gets going.

Barryd999 - 2018-04-08 3:20 PM

....................... mainly all the Breixteers wanted was to get rid of immigrants.

I think you are wrong there Barry.

From what I heard and read, most Brexiteers were unhappy about the rate of immigration into this country when the infrastructure can't cope with the size of the population we already have.

If only the politicians, in the EU as well as Westminster, had listened to so many peoples concerns - Brexit would never have happened.

:-|

antony1969 - 2018-04-08 3:07 PM

This guy did I bet.

There is nothing to stop us trading with the rest of the world while in the EU Antony. We do that already but nothing shows me that there is a line of countries waiting to strike trade deals better than the one we have on our doorstep right now.

I think its a smoke screen all this "lets do trade deals with the rest of the world" instead of Europe when mainly all the Breixteers wanted was to get rid of immigrants. Those Sun readers in the comments on the article certainly dont seem very happy about having to accept immigrants from India but what did they expect? We could set up trade deals with other countries or trading blocs and not have similar conditions attached?

Dave says they can come as long as they pay for their own health care and dont start selling The Big issue. What conditions you put down on free movement as part of a trade deal will depend on who is holding all the cards and I suspect the UK will be looking pretty desperate in the near future.

We had a good deal. A Cracking deal and now we have to start again from not a very good position. I think we will get taken to the cleaners and wait till your pal Donald gets going.[/QUOT

Your joking ... We can trade with the rest of the world now while still an EU member ... Ruddy hell thats sumat else us thick Brexit types have learned now ... I'd love to know from where or whom you get your info about other deals outside the EU , how the hell do you know what we will end up with ??? You talk about being part of the EU "global village" but wet yourself when the rest of that big bad world is mentioned and as for POTUS Trump he's already said what his intentions are regarding the UK but because you don't like him and would rather starve than do deals with him as you put it you choose to do your usual scare story routine ... You want a "global village" that is restricted to the EU Barry ... Not very forward thinking is it when that market is shrinking

Guest pelmetman

Really??? *-) .........So why is the EU so desperate to stop us signing up trade deals until we leave eh? ;-) .........

Show me where it says we cant trade with the rest of the world? Of course we can just not within a free trade deal. Another Brexit myth.

As members of the EU, we benefit from free trade agreements with over 50 countries around the world and we are also trading more and more with rising economies like China and India. We would have also benefited from new free trade agreements the EU is currently negotiating with other countries including the United States, Australia and Japan although I think you can forget the USA as its gone mental.

If we leave we will no longer trade for free with other EU countries unless we get a deal but we would also have to negotiate new trade deals with more than 50 other countries worldwide that we had a trade deal with via the EU.

To say however we cannot already trade outside of these countries is crap. If I want to sell computers to Timbuktu who says I cant?

malc d - 2018-04-08 3:47 PM

....................... mainly all the Breixteers wanted was to get rid of immigrants.

From what I heard and read, most Brexiteers were unhappy about the rate of immigration into this country when the infrastructure can't cope with the size of the population we already have.

If only the politicians, in the EU as well as Westminster, had listened to so many peoples concerns - Brexit would never have happened.

The Government could have done much more to handle Immigration. Its yet another ill they and the Brexiteer elite passed the blame to the EU for. It wont change. Even the hard Brexiteers like Boris and Fox are Pro Immigration. Its just not on their agenda and wont be post Brexit either. It was purely a vote winner.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-04-08 5:31 PM

The Government could have done much more to handle Immigration. Its yet another ill they and the Brexiteer elite passed the blame to the EU for. It wont change. Even the hard Brexiteers like Boris and Fox are Pro Immigration. Its just not on their agenda and wont be post Brexit either. It was purely a vote winner.

By eck Barry you have a very conveniently forgetful memory when it comes to EU migration *-) .........

Who was it that opened Britain's door to Eastern European migration ahead of Germany France etc? :-| .......

I'll give you a clue, his name starts with a B and sounds like liar >:-) .......

You voted to embrace multicultural Britain? Wow....i'm impressed! (lol)

Ah.......that blip didn't last long!

As for 1950's Britain.......gas street lighting, rationing, valve radios (people called 'em wireless sets), only the wealthy had a telly also valved which took an age to warm up and worked on 405 line and both channels went off at midnight. Yep there was only two and in the 50's didn't even fire up until 5pm. Polish made LG flat screens were still a long way off.

Telephone?? What's that?? Wealthy folk had them, easily identified by long wires from the house connected to a big wood pole. The rest wrote letters.

The poor had a weeks holiday in Blackpool and the wealthy holidayed on the Cornish Riviera in swanky hotels.

"Mass" immigration?? Who else would do jobs Brits considered beneath them? Good job we still had our colonialist empire to import labour from eh? People used to hard manual graft. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-04-08 5:28 PM

Show me where it says we cant trade with the rest of the world? Of course we can just not within a ***free trade deal.***

I rest my case *-) .........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-04-08 5:41 PM

You voted to embrace multicultural Britain? Wow....i'm impressed! (lol)

Ah.......that blip didn't last long!

As for 1950's Britain.......gas street lighting, rationing, valve radios (people called 'em wireless sets), only the wealthy had a telly also valved which took an age to warm up and worked on 405 line and both channels went off at midnight. Yep there was only two and in the 50's didn't even fire up until 5pm. Polish made LG flat screens were still a long way off.

Telephone?? What's that?? Wealthy folk had them, easily identified by long wires from the house connected to a big wood pole. The rest wrote letters.

The poor had a weeks holiday in Blackpool and the wealthy holidayed on the Cornish Riviera in swanky hotels.

"Mass" immigration?? Who else would do jobs Brits considered beneath them? Good job we still had our colonialist empire to import labour from eh? People used to hard manual graft. ;-)

I see the drugs took longer to wear off today :D ..........

antony1969 - 2018-04-08 3:07 PM.........................I aint heard that anywhere only from you and its a little hypocritical from someone like yourself a pro-EU club member to slam others who want to embrace a growing world market rather than a dying EU market ... In your own words "Better to embrace the global village" Barry

UK trade with the EU is not dying, it is growing, and you are being misled by people presenting percentages rather than values. See below for trade values since 2009. (Source: HMRC)

..............2010......2011.....2012......2013......2014......2015......2016......2017

Exports 141,931 158,293 149,986 150,423 146,666 133,607 143,200 163,762

Imports 184,726 201,599 206,914 217,101 221,360 219,282 237,238 257,254

Balance -42,795 -43,306 -56,928 -66,678 -74,694 -85,675 -94,038 -93,492

That is the point. Our trade with the rest of the world is actually rising faster so, when presented as a percentage, it creates the illusion that our trade with the EU is falling. It is merely relative decline, rather than absolute decline. It is unsurprising that our trade with the rest of the world rises faster, as most of the countries where the higher growth arises are starting from a lower base, so their own economies are growing faster than ours, or the EU's.

You are being presented with economics sleight of hand. All you need to ask yourself, is why would anyone want to distort the true picture by doing that?

Since we are already getting rising trade with the non-EU world - albeit some of that trade is through EU negotiated trade deals - why would we want to reduce our trade with the EU? Surely, the most sensible approach would be to continue to benefit from growing trade with the EU, while concentrating on further increasing trade with the rest of the world, through the benefits of the existing EU negotiated international trade deals we already have?

What we really need to do is increase our exports generally, while increasing our output of those goods that we presently import from abroad (EU and non-EU), so as to dampen demand for imports which, at present, substantially exceed our exports. That we don't, and haven't for years, has nothing to do with the EU, and everything to do with UK industry and it desire/ability to export.

pelmetman - 2018-04-08 5:40 PM.............................Who was it that opened Britain's door to Eastern European migration ahead of Germany France etc? :-| .......

A democratically elected British government with a large parliamentary majority - all on its own, while most of the rest of the EU placed a temporary moratorium on such migration. Might have been better to follow the majority EU approach, mightn't it?

pelmetman - 2018-04-08 5:42 PM

Show me where it says we cant trade with the rest of the world? Of course we can just not within a ***free trade deal.***

I rest my case *-) .........

You never made a case, Dave, you asked a question (you even put a question mark in to prove it! :-)):

pelmetman - 2018-04-08 4:33 PM

Really??? *-) .........So why is the EU so desperate to stop us signing up trade deals until we leave eh? ;-) .........

Trade deals merely allow countries to trade on terms that they have freely agreed, usually at import tariffs below WTO levels.

Nothing in the EU rules, which we contributed to, prohibits us or other EU members from trading with the rest of the world on WTO terms. The UK, and most of the other EU states already do this.

The free trade agreement embargo is designed to prevent member states from importing goods from outside the EU that do not comply with EU standards, and then exporting them to the EU to the detriment of EU manufacturers. It is to maintain a level playing field in traded goods.

Brian Kirby - 2018-04-08 6:17 PM

antony1969 - 2018-04-08 3:07 PM.........................I aint heard that anywhere only from you and its a little hypocritical from someone like yourself a pro-EU club member to slam others who want to embrace a growing world market rather than a dying EU market ... In your own words "Better to embrace the global village" Barry

UK trade with the EU is not dying, it is growing, and you are being misled by people presenting percentages rather than values. See below for trade values since 2009. (Source: HMRC)

..............2010......2011.....2012......2013......2014......2015......2016......2017

Exports 141,931 158,293 149,986 150,423 146,666 133,607 143,200 163,762

Imports 184,726 201,599 206,914 217,101 221,360 219,282 237,238 257,254

Balance -42,795 -43,306 -56,928 -66,678 -74,694 -85,675 -94,038 -93,492

That is the point. Our trade with the rest of the world is actually rising faster so, when presented as a percentage, it creates the illusion that our trade with the EU is falling. It is merely relative decline, rather than absolute decline. It is unsurprising that our trade with the rest of the world rises faster, as most of the countries where the higher growth arises are starting from a lower base, so their own economies are growing faster than ours, or the EU's.

You are being presented with economics sleight of hand. All you need to ask yourself, is why would anyone want to distort the true picture by doing that?

Since we are already getting rising trade with the non-EU world - albeit some of that trade is through EU negotiated trade deals - why would we want to reduce our trade with the EU? Surely, the most sensible approach would be to continue to benefit from growing trade with the EU, while concentrating on further increasing trade with the rest of the world, through the benefits of the existing EU negotiated international trade deals we already have?

What we really need to do is increase our exports generally, while increasing our output of those goods that we presently import from abroad (EU and non-EU), so as to dampen demand for imports which, at present, substantially exceed our exports. That we don't, and haven't for years, has nothing to do with the EU, and everything to do with UK industry and it desire/ability to export.

The importance of the EU market to UK trade in comparison to world wide trade is becoming less and less Brian and who's suggesting reducing trade with the EU anyway ??? ... Growth in other non EU countries far exceeds growth in the EU so why on earth would we not want to step out more into Barrys wider "global village" and take advantage of that ???

Barryd999 - 2018-04-08 5:31 PM

Pro good immigration Barry and show us who isn't ... Good immigration helps all , continued gutter immigration helps no one

Show me where it says we cant trade with the rest of the world? Of course we can just not within a free trade deal. Another Brexit myth.

As members of the EU, we benefit from free trade agreements with over 50 countries around the world and we are also trading more and more with rising economies like China and India. We would have also benefited from new free trade agreements the EU is currently negotiating with other countries including the United States, Australia and Japan although I think you can forget the USA as its gone mental.

If we leave we will no longer trade for free with other EU countries unless we get a deal but we would also have to negotiate new trade deals with more than 50 other countries worldwide that we had a trade deal with via the EU.

To say however we cannot already trade outside of these countries is crap. If I want to sell computers to Timbuktu who says I cant?

Barry my line about trading with the rest of the world was in jest ! and I don't think anyone even the dimmest Brexit type believes we can't trade currently outside the EU ... We may well benefit from current EU trade deals with other countries Barry but we may well benefit further from eventually not having to pay billions into your beloved club to access those deals

Archived