Syria

Bulletguy

pelmetman - 2018-04-15 6:43 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-04-15 11:01 AM

The Jury is still out for me but I still think both Trump and May should have sought approval before any kind of "token" strike which is all it was really anyway.

Approval for what? *-) .........Blimey Cameron made that mistake years ago ;-) .........

But hey it's nice to know should Corbyn get in to power.......that I'll only need to place my head between my knee's and kiss my arse goodbye when the missiles are incoming >:-) .........

As he awaits the reply to his email for constructive talks (lol) (lol) (lol) ............

The United Nations,US Congress and the UK Parliament exist for a good reason. To legitimise acts such as this. If a rogue country goes off taking similar or worse action on another country that they feel is right we can hardly take the moral high ground and say they should have gone through the United Nations when we dont when it suits us or even consult our own Parliament.

Had it gone tits up and we had killed civilians or Russian troops we had no official authority to go ahead and the consequences could have been severe and lets face it the Americans have all the gear but no idea and dont have a great reputation for not cocking stuff like this up. In the first Gulf war they killed more Brit soldiers than the actual enemy did!

I agree we should do something but I doubt this has been effective. We should have done something in 2013 and now its too late. The only way Syria will ever get resolved is by getting Assad to the negotiating table and we have just set that back now. Bombs and show of strength might get the Gung Ho hang em high brigade all fired up but whats it actually achieving? The entire thing was pretty much announced on Twitter before it happened. I suspect all they have blown up is a few old empty buildings.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-04-15 7:04 PM

The Jury is still out for me but I still think both Trump and May should have sought approval before any kind of "token" strike which is all it was really anyway.

Approval for what? *-) .........Blimey Cameron made that mistake years ago ;-) .........

But hey it's nice to know should Corbyn get in to power.......that I'll only need to place my head between my knee's and kiss my arse goodbye when the missiles are incoming >:-) .........

As he awaits the reply to his email for constructive talks (lol) (lol) (lol) ............

The United Nations,US Congress and the UK Parliament exist for a good reason. To legitimise acts such as this. If a rogue country goes off taking similar or worse action on another country that they feel is right we can hardly take the moral high ground and say they should have gone through the United Nations when we dont when it suits us or even consult our own Parliament.

Had it gone tits up and we had killed civilians or Russian troops we had no official authority to go ahead and the consequences could have been severe and lets face it the Americans have all the gear but no idea and dont have a great reputation for not cocking stuff like this up. In the first Gulf war they killed more Brit soldiers than the actual enemy did!

I agree we should do something but I doubt this has been effective. We should have done something in 2013 and now its too late. The only way Syria will ever get resolved is by getting Assad to the negotiating table and we have just set that back now. Bombs and show of strength might get the Gung Ho hang em high brigade all fired up but whats it actually achieving? The entire thing was pretty much announced on Twitter before it happened. I suspect all they have blown up is a few old empty buildings.

Yeah Barry *-) .......

Keep on reading that left wing twaddle >:-) .........

C'mon then Barrie how are you going to negotiate with Assad when he's said time and again he wont

antony1969 - 2018-04-15 7:22 PM

C'mon then Barrie how are you going to negotiate with Assad when he's said time and again he wont

We (well the west) is going to have to publicly admit that Assad has won and is going to stay in power and shake hands with the Devil. His victory is irreversible now and nobody wants another Iraq or Afghanistan. Of course getting Russia onside would help but good luck with that now.

Negotiation is always possible you just have to give something to the person you want at the table to get them there. Syria is a complete tinder box nightmare with way too many countries involved. Its the only way. Lobbing a few bombs in to say "look how hard I am" will do nothing. Just set it all back further.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-04-15 7:56 PM

Negotiation is always possible

So long as you have no moral backbone :-| ........

Just sayin ;-) ......

Tracker - 2018-04-15 6:32 PM

Let he who is without sin cast the first insult etc ect

People in glasshouses ought not to throw insults etc etc

Oh for sure, but if you'd read Antony's post he missed a word out which would have supported your view. Instead he claimed "i'm not the one who hates politicians and calls them names" which implies he doesn't hate politicians or call them names......which as we ALL know is most certainly not true!

What he should have said was, "i'm not the only one who hates politicians and calls them names". The difference one word can make to context. . ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-04-15 8:17 PM

Oh for sure, but if you'd read Antony's post he missed a word out which would have supported your view. Instead he claimed "i'm not the one who hates politicians and calls them names" which implies he doesn't hate politicians or call them names......which as we ALL know is most certainly not true!

What he should have said was, "i'm not the only one who hates politicians and calls them names". The difference one word can make to context. . ;-)

I see the drugs are taking longer to wear off? :D ..........

Theres a thread on Motorhome Matters about 'Fiamma drip stop' - I wonder if drip stop would work on you!

pelmetman - 2018-04-15 8:05 PM

Just sayin ;-) ......

What do you suggest then Dave? You and others here seem pretty hacked off that there are millions of Syrian refugees wandering around I would have thought you would welcome some kind of negotiation and peace process even if it means giving way to Assad somewhat to get shot of them.

Your only other option is an all out invasion of Syria and remind me how well the last few went as well as the rise of terrorism as a result.

It takes more backbone to think cleverly and lure someone to a negotiating table than it does to click a mouse and fire a few missiles form the safety of a warship hundreds of miles away.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-04-15 9:11 PM

Just sayin ;-) ......

What do you suggest then Dave? You and others here seem pretty hacked off that there are millions of Syrian refugees wandering around I would have thought you would welcome some kind of negotiation and peace process even if it means giving way to Assad somewhat to get shot of them.

Your only other option is an all out invasion of Syria and remind me how well the last few went as well as the rise of terrorism as a result.

It takes more backbone to think cleverly and lure someone to a negotiating table than it does to click a mouse and fire a few missiles form the safety of a warship hundreds of miles away.

You need to get with the program Barry ;-) ........

Syria is not about Syria *-) .......

It's about Putin V the West :-| .......

Tracker - 2018-04-15 8:54 PM

Theres a thread on Motorhome Matters about 'Fiamma drip stop' - I wonder if drip stop would work on you!

Third post down in reply to the 2nd one.......perfectly summed up! (lol)

pelmetman - 2018-04-15 9:34 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-04-15 9:11 PM

Just sayin ;-) ......

You need to get with the program Barry ;-) ........

Syria is not about Syria *-) .......

It's about Putin V the West :-| .......

That's not what your Dear Leader told you though is it? She said, "it's essential to co-operate with our partners to alleviate further humanitarian suffering" specifically referring to the Syrian regime.

Or are you suggesting she's misled the public with ulterior motives in mind?

It's been pointed out to you before that Assad has used chemical weapons before in Syria, the first back in 2013 in Aleppo. You weren't bothered about that then. You've always been more annoyed about refugees fleeing the country some of whom dared set foot in UK because you don't want any here.

antony1969 - 2018-04-15 6:43 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-04-15 6:29 PM

antony1969 - 2018-04-15 5:42 PM

Thought I said Libya ??? ... By the way i'm not the one who [hates politicians and calls them names and question their sanity or insults their family just because they have a different view to me ... That I leave to you and you do it very , very well time and again

You mean like Sadiq Khan who you continually make disparaging and insulting remarks about on here?

Please explain ... I dont remember calling him or his family any names like you do with POTUS Trump

Still waiting

We (well the west) is going to have to publicly admit that Assad has won and is going to stay in power and shake hands with the Devil. His victory is irreversible now and nobody wants another Iraq or Afghanistan. Of course getting Russia onside would help but good luck with that now.

Negotiation is always possible you just have to give something to the person you want at the table to get them there. Syria is a complete tinder box nightmare with way too many countries involved. Its the only way. Lobbing a few bombs in to say "look how hard I am" will do nothing. Just set it all back further.

Well personally I'd rather lob a few bombs over to hinder the chemical making process than negotiate and "give something" to a tyrant who'd use those chemicals on his own people ... So basically you'd rather do a deal with a mass murderer than do a deal with POTUS Trump , you know your famous you'd "rather starve to death than do a deal with him" ... Typifies the screaming hypocrisy of the wet brigade

antony1969 - 2018-04-16 6:22 AM

Well personally I'd rather lob a few bombs over to hinder the chemical making process than negotiate and "give something" to a tyrant who'd use those chemicals on his own people ... So basically you'd rather do a deal with a mass murderer than do a deal with POTUS Trump , you know your famous you'd "rather starve to death than do a deal with him" ... Typifies the screaming hypocrisy of the wet brigade

Doing a trade deal with Trump is a choice we can make as its like deciding which supermarket to go to, its not threatening world peace. I wouldn't rather deal with Assad but we have no choice. The western Governments have already privately acknowledged that he has won and his victory cannot be reversed but they are going to have to do that publicly to stand a chance of getting him to the negotiating table. There is no alternative. This will just go on and on otherwise. Hindering the chemical weapons process has not stopped nearly half a million people dying, only 1900 of them by chemical weapons.

I find it pathetic that at such high levels of government there appears to be the same sort of dick waving contest that you would get on a forum or down the pub.

If you or anyone else has a better solution, lets hear it.

Barryd999 - 2018-04-16 8:44 AM

Doing a trade deal with Trump is a choice we can make as its like deciding which supermarket to go to, its not threatening world peace. I wouldn't rather deal with Assad but we have no choice. The western Governments have already privately acknowledged that he has won and his victory cannot be reversed but they are going to have to do that publicly to stand a chance of getting him to the negotiating table. There is no alternative. This will just go on and on otherwise. Hindering the chemical weapons process has not stopped nearly half a million people dying, only 1900 of them by chemical weapons.

I find it pathetic that at such high levels of government there appears to be the same sort of dick waving contest that you would get on a forum or down the pub.

A POTUS Trump deal doesn't threaten world peace but you'd rather starve to death ... Regarding a Syria solution I don't have one , your the one crying over the attack to try to stop a proper nutter from attacking and killing his own people ... I have a feeling your anger at the bombings are more to do with who's sending the bombs over , your much hated POTUS Trump and our Tory government

antony1969 - 2018-04-16 9:52 AM

A POTUS Trump deal doesn't threaten world peace but you'd rather starve to death ... Regarding a Syria solution I don't have one , your the one crying over the attack to try to stop a proper nutter from attacking and killing his own people ... I have a feeling your anger at the bombings are more to do with who's sending the bombs over , your much hated POTUS Trump and our Tory government

Well they have just seriously threatened world peace for probably no real gain other than to send a message, a message Assad doesnt really appear to give a toss about. I would call playing a game of Chicken with WW3 a threat to world peace. Could easily have gone terribly wrong.

Syria is just a complete hot bed of warring factions all of which are bad apart from maybe the Kurds. Bombing it is pointless and risky.

Its hypocritical as well. The US have used chemical weapons in the past and sold them to Saddam, Saudi Arabia are constantly carpet bombing Yemen but we continue to supply them with weapons. Nobody is "clean" in all of this and negotiations is the only way forward even if Assad is an evil despot.

Barryd999 - 2018-04-16 10:07 AM

Well they have just seriously threatened world peace for probably no real gain other than to send a message, a message Assad doesnt really appear to give a toss about. I would call playing a game of Chicken with WW3 a threat to world peace. Could easily have gone terribly wrong.

Syria is just a complete hot bed of warring factions all of which are bad apart from maybe the Kurds. Bombing it is pointless and risky.

Its hypocritical as well. The US have used chemical weapons in the past and sold them to Saddam, Saudi Arabia are constantly carpet bombing Yemen but we continue to supply them with weapons. Nobody is "clean" in all of this and negotiations is the only way forward even if Assad is an evil despot.

They weren't really bombing Syrians were they ... They bombed a chemical weapons store/factory which hopefully will mean it's either made it impossible or more difficult for Assad to kill his own people so how can that be up for debate as to wether it was correct to do so or not ... Bet if it had been some kind of EU coalition of countries led by Juncker bombing Syria your attitude would have been quite different but a nasty POTUS Trump led raid and the red mist comes down

antony1969 - 2018-04-16 12:25 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-04-16 10:07 AM

They weren't really bombing Syrians were they ... They bombed a chemical weapons store/factory which hopefully will mean it's either made it impossible or more difficult for Assad to kill his own people so how can that be up for debate as to wether it was correct to do so or not ... Bet if it had been some kind of EU coalition of countries led by Juncker bombing Syria your attitude would have been quite different but a nasty POTUS Trump led raid and the red mist comes down

No not really. Its not because it was Trump, I would feel the same if it had been any leader that had instigated it. Trump let them know it was coming via Twitter. Do you honestly think they wouldn't have moved any weapons beforehand or that they were probably underground anyway. The big shiny bombs are never that effective. Assad has managed to kill half a million of his own people perfectly well without Chemical weapons anyway. If it had been a thought out and agreed course of action by the UN (Not the EU) I would be more inclined to support it if I thought it would be effective.

To be fair, in all seriousness I dont actually think Trump is a war monger. He likes to sound hard on Twitter but thats just an ego thing for him. I Think he would rather keep out of it all if the truth be known and just barricade America in.

We can discuss this until the Cows come home but the only way you will resolve the war and the Refugee crisis is by negotiation. Unless of course your prepared for yet another all out land war. Nobody has the stomach for that.

Barryd999 - 2018-04-16 12:56 PM..............................We can discuss this until the Cows come home but the only way you will resolve the war and the Refugee crisis is by negotiation. Unless of course your prepared for yet another all out land war. Nobody has the stomach for that.

Agree. No war/conflict can be resolved militarily unless the victor has, for all intents and purposes, killed off the entire population he confronted. So, one day, Assad or his cronies will probably find they need to negotiate his way back into "the rest of the world".

In the meantime, I think his nightmares haven't yet really begun. His only friends and allies are Russia and Iran, both of which countries can be expected to exact recompense for their support.

I rather think Assad is going to find he's won his war, but lost his country!

Not sure what spoils Russia is after, but it seems pretty clear that Iran's interest is political, and an unquestioning land route through to Lebanon.

Russia and Iran seem odd bedfellows, so it'll be interesting to see how long they remain best mates after the war dust has settled - which, looking at the scale of destruction, won't be soon!

I rather suspect the numbers of refugees from Syria will rise, rather than diminish, after the fighting ends, as people begin to realise what their long term futures look like.

Wonder if this is true. https://www.mintpressnews.com/famed-war-reporter-robert-fisk-reaches-syrian-chemical-attack-site-concludes-not-gassed/240660/

Oh dear if it is.

It proves one thing though. If you go threatening world peace and putting us all at risk you need to make sure your 100% certain before you start lobbing bombs or pointing the finger and that you have the backing of the UN and various Parliaments / Congress. I hope its not true as we are going to really have egg on our faces if it is.

Barryd999 - 2018-04-18 1:05 PM

Wonder if this is true. https://www.mintpressnews.com/famed-war-reporter-robert-fisk-reaches-syrian-chemical-attack-site-concludes-not-gassed/240660/

Oh dear if it is.

It proves one thing though. If you go threatening world peace and putting us all at risk you need to make sure your 100% certain before you start lobbing bombs or pointing the finger and that you have the backing of the UN and various Parliaments / Congress. I hope its not true as we are going to really have egg on our faces if it is.

A fluent Arabic speaker he's a journalist of some considerable repute too having reported on Middle East matters for over 40 years and won many international press awards.

I hope we aren't going to have another Dr David Kelly 'episode'.

Full report here: https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/syria-chemical-attack-gas-douma-robert-fisk-ghouta-damascus-a8307726.html

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/critics-leap-on-reporter-robert-fisk-s-failure-to-find-signs-of-gas-attack-fx7f3fs2r

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2018/04/robert-fisk-reports-head-of-douma-clinic-denies-chemical-weapons-attack/

Archived