Cooker hob top

Tinlizzie

While we were away this winter, I closed the hob glass top, not realising I had left one of the rings on low.

As you can imagine, 5 minutes later an almighty crash reminded me to turn off the hob.

I'm sure I'll be able to replace it - was thinking of wood or aluminium. However, I'm worried that if I do this, and make a similar mistake in the future, the result could be worse. So maybe toughened glass is the best option.

Do modern cookers have some sort of cutout on the lid to switch off the gas - or an alarm?

MY 2015 Hymer does not have a cut-out on the gas hob when you close the lid [which is madness ] and I did the same as you in Morocco this winter priced a new glass lid at Premier motorhomes and they quoted £150 said I would think about it [after I picked myself up of the floor] . I can buy the complete unit sink hob 2 glass lids and fittings for £200 how can they warrant charging that much for a glass lid . Did get a quote of Leisure lines for £62 but they only have black and mines white

Noody on 13th November 2017 wrote" I just have to tell someone" which started a long series of comments on the stupidity of glass cooker/ hob tops. Several remedies were suggested including details of how I solved the problem with Formica and stainless steel.

Alan

My cooker has to have the glass top COMPLETELY open for the gas to get through, So if you close the top, even a fraction , the gas will cut off. BUT you still need to let the cooker cool down before hand, to be on the safe side, as I have an electric plate , which will retain the heat. i put a piece of non slip on top of the plates, and on top of the glass to save scratching it, anyway. . Not sure my cooker would work without the glass top, so need to be extra careful.

PJay

Archived