Oil filler cap

ColinM50

Just lost the filler cap while driving along, with a loss of four litres of (very expensive) oil too. Spotted oil on my drive when I pulled up and exploring showed the problem. The filler caps gone along with a load of oil, it was off the dipstick. I heard a sort of funny clatter about a mile from home and put it down to running over some road debris but now think it might have been the cap falling off. Last time the cap was touched was 150 miles ago when I had an oil change at a local indy garage. Phoned him and he came round and had a look and says I was lucky to only lose four litres and we think there's no damage done..

I have every faith that he did the oil change properly and put the cap back tight.

Anyway after £130 for 6 litres of oil and a new cap from Peugeot and five litres of brake cleaner to wash the oil off the engine compartment all seems well but my main concern is how to stop it happening again? Cap seems to click and lock in well but anybody got any ideas as to how to ensure it stay put, short of epoxy or super glue :-S

As he said when leaving, at least the engine compartment won't go rusty. 8-)

Very unusual, only time it happened me was when I forgot to secure it correctly many years ago,

would it be possible on the finger grips to drill a small hole and use a cable tie to prevent it getting lost?

To cheer you up worked in a local garage on Saturdays many many years ago when was a teenager, the owner discover a certain gentleman checked his work when he returned to ask us to loosen the wheel studs.

it seems when he could not tighten them any more than we had he tried to loosen them.

:-)

From past experience and Colin's description, it seems that the filler cap may have a quarter turn twist and lock or bayonet action. It may be that the cap had not been turned sufficiently to latch in place.

I had a similar eperience on a Saab 99 many years ago, with only myself to blame. Returned to scene but of course failed to find the cap. I was lucky and discovered my error before loosing a significant volume of oil. Found the lost cap very much later, nestling on a cross member under the engine.

To avoid loosing the cap completely, I drilled a small hole in the cap rim and secured the cap with a short length of nylon cord. However that does not stop the cap working loose.

Alan

Have never heard of one that had been put on properly coming off so I shouldn't worry to much about the new one. I have heard of them not being replaced after a service and just left on top of the engine and oil splashing out I'd think it would take a fair time to splash out 4 ltrs of oil maybe even 150 mls

There are some on-line entries relating to Citroen/Peugeot oil-filler caps becoming detached while driving, but those reports seem to relate to older vehicles. In those cases a suggestion for this happening is that the plastic cover over the top of the motor is not properly secured in place and and, as a consequence, the cover contacts the filler-cap and loosens it. (My Ducato’s engine cover has three securing points, but the cover wa only clipped to two of these when the vehicle was delivered.)

However, if the cap on Colin’s motor has a ‘locking’ feature, it has to be suspected (as Alanb says) that the cap was not properly inserted when the oil change was carried out no more than 150 miles prior to the cap-coming-off incident.

The cap could be tethered as Alanb describes and, if wire were used and the wire was taut when the cap was fully home, that would stop the cap moving. It’s common practice with competition vehicles to ‘wire’ anything that might vibrate loose (attached photo of oil drain-plug shows hole for wiring) but few people will go to such lengths with road vehicles. But it should certainly be easy enough for Colin to prevent the oil-filler cap coming off if he is really concerned about this happening again.

drain-plug.jpg.c3fff7db00a64d8c384d4bb0adc1d65a.jpg

Think I'll have a look at drilling a small hole in it and wiring it on someway, don't want it happening again that's for sure.

Mech is a highly regarded chap who's worked on my vehicles for years and I have great faith in him but of course it could be "one of his lads" did the oil change and MAYBE wasn't so diligent? BTW just under the cap is the timing chain and he said that without the cap on oil sprays out of the filler hole at a tremendous rate so the suggestion it'd take 150 miles or so is IMHO wrong. It'd be pretty quick.

Normally you would think that the oil wil stay in the downunder sump, irrespective of the oil filler cap, or oil dipstick not closing . They should be air tight to cope whit the positive set crank case pressure system, which is not working than. This will come out from cold start. Water damp, oil, oilmist, and blowby gas. Engine and turbo in danger.

Some years ago used a small independent garage and received great service.

Until one day felt a wobble from the front end.

Both front wheels had been removed and not tightened during the service. The Mechanic has not checked his apprentice!!!

Had this happened to me, I would have held the mechanic responsible.

Many on this forum will have extensive knowledge in engineering and motor mechanics.

And I’m sure many will agree with me.

ColinM50 - 2018-04-30 5:09 PM

five litres of brake cleaner to wash the oil off the engine compartment all seems well but my main concern is how to stop it happening again? Cap seems to click and lock in well but anybody got any ideas as to how to ensure it stay put, short of epoxy or super glue :-S

As he said when leaving, at least the engine compartment won't go rusty. 8-)

I'd have just left the oil, it's the thing I've noticed with my Suzi's, so oil tight anything unprotected corrodes, scaped the paint off the sump driving over saplings, the sump rusted throu from outside.

Only time I've had a cap come off it was a garage not putting it back on right, cap came off after a mile or so.

ColinM50 - 2018-05-01 8:54 AM

Think I'll have a look at drilling a small hole in it and wiring it on someway, don't want it happening again that's for sure.

Mech is a highly regarded chap who's worked on my vehicles for years and I have great faith in him but of course it could be "one of his lads" did the oil change and MAYBE wasn't so diligent? BTW just under the cap is the timing chain and he said that without the cap on oil sprays out of the filler hole at a tremendous rate so the suggestion it'd take 150 miles or so is IMHO wrong. It'd be pretty quick.

We all make mistakes (Even me ;-) ) so it’s just as likely that the the mechanic in whom you “have every faith” did not replace the oil-filler cap properly after the oil change as one of his underlings failing to do this.

Incidentally, the 2.0litre BlueHDI motor now fitted to Peugeot Boxers has a timing-belt not a timing-chain. (The superseded 2/2litre Ford-derived powerplant had a timing-chain not a timing-belt.) However, that doesn’t prevent there being a chain whizzing about beneath the oil-filler cap, as it’s quite likely that the Peugeot BlueHDI motor has the same arrangement as the Ducato’s 2.3litre’s, with a timing-belt to one of the camshafts and a chain from that camshaft to the other one.

This Peugeot webpage

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/base/main.htm

suggests that the timing-belt change-interval might be 180,000km or 9 years, but a Peugeot main agent should be able to confirm this if the information is not in the Boxer handbook.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-05-02 8:21 AM

This Peugeot webpage

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/base/main.htm

suggests that the timing-belt change-interval might be 180,000km or 9 years, but a Peugeot main agent should be able to confirm this if the information is not in the Boxer handbook.

Attached is the service schedule for Peugeot's Euro6 DW10FUC engine.

The belt change interval is rounded to 96,000 miles or 10 years in normal use.

Capture.JPG.9b48214d09f47880fcf242cf9f7c818a.JPG

This may be of no relevance whatsoever but for information the Peugeot Euro6 engine is supplied with a cranked oil filler extension in a little bag, which might indicate that the filler cap is somewhat out of the way or difficult to reach.

C5.JPG.444652ffb362166fc9af903679ff3349.JPG

Archived