Bed comfort

Dickybeau

I’m finding my motor home over cab bed a bit uncomfortable and want to try to do something about it. I’ve looked at Froli springs http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/froli_bed.htm but I wondered if anyone had any other ideas. I’m not sure how the Froli springs will fit my slats and I know that some manufactures are already fitting plastic ‘rose’ type springs that look less complicated than the Froli system. I’m not so bothered about my legs more my hips and shoulders. Any experience? Suggestions? Alternatives? Thanks in advance

We, along with many others, used Duvalay memory foam toppers with built in sleeping bag, or in your case a memory foam topper alone or a full memory foam mattress may be worth considering.

If slats are an issue you can either add more and reduce the spacings or replace them with a solid base, much as many vans already use as a bed base.

Memory foam certainly helps our back and joint problems and we use a memory foam mattress at home too.

If you reduce the ventilation beneath the mattress (more slats or solid base) its likely to get damp and mouldy.

Not tried them because I have a self build with normal domestic mattress, sheets and blankets (suspended from 4 ratchet straps to get the bed level). But I have heard Duvalay mattress toppers are pretty good

We have an additional problem in our van that we can’t get the bed closed s3curely if the mattress is too thick. I’ll look at the memory foam stuff but someone has just suggested fitting a self inflating mattress that campers use under our original mattress.

I’ll look at the toppers too. Testing them out is going to get expensive. Maybe I’ll find a show somewhere to check them

Memory foam mattresses come in many thicknesses and the thicker ones often have layers of other foam to build them up so maybe two mattress toppers, or one topper and a layer of good quality foam would replace your existing mattress, depending on how thick you need?

Memory foam itself comes in several densities and you might be able to get away with a thinner denser topper rather than a thicker lower quality topper, but it is very much a suck it and see as what suits one will not suit another person.

For what it is worth we found a less dense memory foam to the original used in our Duvalays on top of combined seat/bed cushions, that tend to be harder than a dedicated mattress, worked better for us and as we had to dismantle it every day being less dense it rolled up smaller too for storage, but you don't have that issue in an overcab!

We never experienced any condensation issues with a solid bed base but some do.

Never used an inflatable mattress in a van but we did get a lot of condensation under it when we were camping many years ago, but then we were on the ground which is probably more cold than a bed in a van?

We have bought from these people several times over the years and their advice and knowledge helped us get the right foam for the job each time.

https://www.memoryfoamwarehouse.co.uk/memory-foam-mattress-topper/

Pocket sprung mattresses for us in the van and at home. Wife adds a thin mattress topper. Both of us sleep well. Some new Hymers come with a type of froli springs so see if you can get down to a dealer and check them out for comfort.

Archived