Removing Fridge, HELP!

mikemelson

Hi,

I’ve got to remove my fridge to clean the jet as it’s not working fully on gas, an operation I’ve performed many times.

But this time I’m stuck, one of the retaining screws won’t come out of the recess, I’ve tried a magnetic screwdriver & blu-tack but to no avail, the gap around the screw is to small for tweezers.

The screw tightens & loosens but cannot be withdrawn from the recess. I’m thinking of inserting a hacksaw blade between the fridge & surrounding frame to cut through the bloody thing but this seems a bit drastic.

The vehicle is a PVC & the jet cannot be accessed through the outside vent.

Anyone out there have any ideas? I

To advance from blue tack, you could try superglue on the end of a nail, or screwdriver bit.

Rapid setting epoxy resin adhesive is also a possibility, but you may have to hold the parts together for over 5 minutes.

Alan

Can you unscrew it until you are confident it is fully disengaged, and then work a couple of turns of fine wire, thread, or monofilament nylon, around its shank, below its head, and then try gently pulling on that while gently turning the screw?

If the screw is self tapping it will be very hard steel, probably too hard for a hacksaw blade to cut through especially if you are unable to stop the head turning whilst you saw.

Is there any access from the other side even if it means cutting or drilling a hole to get at the pointed end of the screw?

mikemelson - 2018-05-04 2:53 PM

Hi,

I’ve got to remove my fridge to clean the jet as it’s not working fully on gas, an operation I’ve performed many times.

But this time I’m stuck, one of the retaining screws won’t come out of the recess, I’ve tried a magnetic screwdriver & blu-tack but to no avail, the gap around the screw is to small for tweezers.

The screw tightens & loosens but cannot be withdrawn from the recess. I’m thinking of inserting a hacksaw blade between the fridge & surrounding frame to cut through the bloody thing but this seems a bit drastic.

Spigot on Wild Camping Forum has the same issue have a look there .....

BKen1 - 2018-05-04 6:22 PM

mikemelson - 2018-05-04 2:53 PM

Hi,

Spigot on Wild Camping Forum has the same issue have a look there .....

That’s me!

To me it appears a small section at the top of the thread has corroded & the remaining thread is not picking up.

Are you are able to get anything behind the screw ?

Often pressure applied at the screw pointed end will help to get the remaining thread to engage.

Many thanks for the input guys,

Tezza on the Wildcamping forum came up with the simple & effective solution.

I put a thin bladed knife between fridge & frame, pressed down on screw to engage with the threads & just unscrewed, it came out immediately.

Why didn’t I think of this?

Archived