Tyrepal did its job

rooster63

Just thought it might be of interest to share my experience of Tyrepal pressure system. Fitted it to my pvc as don't have a spare. Was driving home and the alarm suddenly went off and I could see that the pressure had dropped from 60psi down to 56psi the trigger point. As I had plenty of warning was able to drive a further mile slowly to a layby by which time the pressure had dropped to 50psi. The van still drove with no indication of a deflating tyre and with out Tyrepal I probably would have driven much further and in all likely hood would have ruined the tyre and not been able to choose a safe place to stop. On inspecting the front tyre could see there was a large bolt protruding from the tyre. Called the breakdown company and they sent a mechanic out, he removed the wheel and took it away to be repaired.

It is good to hear that the system worked as designed and potentially saved what could have been a catastrophe.

By coincidence Royal Mail delivered a set to me earlier today. Tyrepal had offered 20% discount over the holiday weekend, which again was good timing as I had been looking at the cheaper £40 versions on e bay over the last few weeks. They had mixed reviews, whereas tyrepal gets good solid reviews on Amazon and various forums.

Still expensive at £84 but like all investments it could save a lot, so worth it in my view.

Raining heavily here today, so will have to wait till tomorrow to fit and try them out.

Davy

In a similar vein a member of the Bailey owners group had a rear blowout a few days ago but the OE TPMS warning of deflation due to a nail came only moments before the tyre exploded and doesn't seem to have contributed anything to the safety aspect in their case; they stopped when they heard the tyre go bang.

32104487_1298408676970372_8208273309767303168_n.thumb.jpg.77da3e94f8c8d90e60a70b6d1ba6996c.jpg

Some comments on the TyrePal “Solar” system.

TyrePal suggests the following pressure ‘alert levels’

High pressure - 20% above recommended pressure.

Low pressure - 15% below recommended pressure.

If the alert levels are set close to the recommended pressure (ie. the pressure recommended in the motorhome’s handbook, or the pressure you’ve chosen to use) an alert will be produced as the tyre heats up in normal use or when cold weather reduces the pressure. It’s not too difficult to adjust the alert levels, but you don’t really want the system to ‘false alert’ when there’s no actual problem.

The batteries fitted to the tyre-valve sensors of the TyrePal Solar system were discussed here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/TyrePal-Solar-probems-/46984/

When I visited the NEC Show in February 2018 I asked the TyrePal exhibitor what a sensor-battery’s minimum reliable operating voltage was and was told that below 3V might prove problematical. I’d bought a Solar system in February 2017 (from the NEC Show) - the voltage of the batteries provided was low and TyrePal replaced them.

In preparation for going abroad last month I bought four new Energizer-branded CR1225 batteries on-line and checked them (all well within their use-by date and with a voltage well over 3V) and fitted them to the sensors just before setting off. Two days later (in France) low-battery alerts began to be issued and I had to turn off the system.

When I got home I removed the Energizer batteries and they were all heavily discharged (below 2V). I then put the 2017-provided replacement batteries (voltage around 3V) back in and moved the Solar system to our car. Since then the system has worked perfectly.

There was nothing to suggest that the Energizer-branded batteries were ‘fakes’, but it’s very odd that all four went flat so quickly. I’ve now bought 10 “Eunicell” CR1225 batteries as I believe this brand is what TyrePal provide (the batteries themselves are unbranded), and if my Solar system works OK on our car with 1-year-old Eunicell batteries, it ought to work OK on the motorhome when I fit new Eunicell ones (maybe!)

I have a Snooper Tyre Pilot system and the batteries are now just going flat after about 18 months use. These are CR1632. The sensors only transmit when the wheels rotate so it probably is mileage dependant.

For coin cells, I only use Renata or Energizer bought from a reputable supplier as there seems to be many fakes about. I have had many "Duracell" labelled batteries leak causing damage to the equipment. I think these were probably fake (off ebay).

The Snooper system looked good on paper, but mine suffers from a serious software bug that means I have to set the upper and lower pressure alarm limits to be the same for the front and rear tyres. This is not a problem if they use similar pressures, but I run my fronts about 10psi lower that the rear tyres so my alarm limits are more like -10%/+25% for the fronts and -22%/+10% for the rears. Unfortunately Snooper are not interested in solving this issue.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-05-10 8:26 AM

......................In preparation for going abroad last month I bought four new Energizer-branded CR1225 batteries on-line and checked them (all well within their use-by date and with a voltage well over 3V) and fitted them to the sensors just before setting off. Two days later (in France) low-battery alerts began to be issued and I had to turn off the system.

When I got home I removed the Energizer batteries and they were all heavily discharged (below 2V). I then put the 2017-provided replacement batteries (voltage around 3V) back in and moved the Solar system to our car. Since then the system has worked perfectly.

There was nothing to suggest that the Energizer-branded batteries were ‘fakes’, but it’s very odd that all four went flat so quickly. I’ve now bought 10 “Eunicell” CR1225 batteries as I believe this brand is what TyrePal provide (the batteries themselves are unbranded), and if my Solar system works OK on our car with 1-year-old Eunicell batteries, it ought to work OK on the motorhome when I fit new Eunicell ones (maybe!)

Strange enough I used Energiser batteries to replace the low ones and they worked for around one week before getting low battery signals. I have replaced them with Ronata batteries bought from the internet and they, so far, appear to be holding up.

I also took advantage of the discounted offer from TyrePal as the a problem I had with the earlier unit was the lack of ease of reading the display, as the latest unit has a colour display I felt it would be easier to read and it is. The most interesting part is that the latest wheel sensors are using a larger 3v battery CR1632 that is rated to last 2 years and they provided an extra set of batteries in the box with the new unit, must mean something!

Bas

We have 4 tyrepal units on cars and the motorhome, and I have to agree, that energizer batteries do not seem to last as they should. The latest dated 2022, and in a new sealed packet only worked for a few days before the low battery warning.

That said, I wouldn't be without the "safety fence" of the Tyrepal, it does give confidence, and at worst, makes you keep your tyres at the correct pressure!

Basil - 2018-05-11 9:10 PM

...I also took advantage of the discounted offer from TyrePal as the a problem I had with the earlier unit was the lack of ease of reading the display, as the latest unit has a colour display I felt it would be easier to read and it is. The most interesting part is that the latest wheel sensors are using a larger 3v battery CR1632 that is rated to last 2 years and they provided an extra set of batteries in the box with the new unit, must mean something!

Bas

The TyrePal systems that have a non-solar-powered monitor have historically used the larger CR1632 battery describes by TyrePal as having a 2-year lifespan.

The tyre-valve sensors used with the latest colour version of the Solar system are a fair bit bulkier and twice as heavy (12g versus 6g) than those of the original Solar system, though this should not matter for a motorhome. Details/Instructions for the colour Solar system are here

https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/User-manual-TyrePal-Solar-Colour-V3-20170920.pdf

(Interesting that comments about Energizer batteries mirror my experience. There’s no doubt that the voltage of ‘my' Energizer batteries was well over 3V when I fitted them, nor that - when I removed them from the sensors a fortnight later - the batteries were flat. I phoned TyrePal about this and it was suggested that I send them the sensors for checking, but as all four batteries had gone flat and the system works OK with the original ‘old’ batteries refitted, it’s got to be the Energizer batteries that were the culprits.)

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure if the tyrepal has temperature sensors, but the snooper tyrepilot does.

It came in useful today as we drove down from Ronda to Casares in the Andalucian mountains.The road is mostly downhill with lots of slow bends. Great views but after about half an hour of this, the temperature alarm went off. This was set to the default of 70degC. I pulled over and the temperature continued to rise to 95 degC before falling back to 50 degC after 10 mins. The pressures were normal.

The front brake discs measured 180degC when I stopped. I am not sure how much higher they would have to be before something failed.

Archived