On board waste tank

tonyg3nwl

Firstly, our van is 4 years old and my routine ensures that there are no smells whatsoever from the sinks so I know it works for me. I think it helps greatly if you avoid putting bits of food etc down into the tank in the first place so we wipe things before washing. I believe this is more important than putting stuff down into the tank. At the end of a break I empty the tank then flush through with lots of clean water. I put a mix of bleach and proprietary tank cleaner down each outlet to prevent smells in the pipes. Finally I leave the waste tap and all plugs open to allow a flow of air through the tank as I think this really helps stale smells develop.

Guest pelmetman
Don636 - 2018-05-12 3:28 PM

Firstly, our van is 4 years old and my routine ensures that there are no smells whatsoever from the sinks so I know it works for me. I think it helps greatly if you avoid putting bits of food etc down into the tank in the first place so we wipe things before washing. I believe this is more important than putting stuff down into the tank. At the end of a break I empty the tank then flush through with lots of clean water. I put a mix of bleach and proprietary tank cleaner down each outlet to prevent smells in the pipes. Finally I leave the waste tap and all plugs open to allow a flow of air through the tank as I think this really helps stale smells develop.

Ours is 28 years old :D ..........and my routine is do nothing until it gets blocked, and then stick a hose pipe up the waste drain pipe ;-) .......

As for smells we used to get a bit of a whiff when travelling which was easily sorted by putting the plugs in the sinks and shower tray :D ........

Now days whiffs are rare as we live in it full time, maybe we've got used to the smell or the waste tank has developed its own bio system? B-) .........

White Vinegar contains acetic acid and is a proven cleaner. Search the web, eg Sarsons and DriPak, and you will get a feel of what it can do. I have used white vinegar to clean tools. It leaves a smell that goes away with time. I've never used it in my waste tank.

I use Thetford Tank Freshener in the waste tank. It goes down the plug holes. £8 does three cleans. I do one every 6 months so that's just over a fiver a year. It is a chemical has to be disposed off correctly.

There used to be a webpage (referred to here)

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Waste-Tank/41239/

that listed various liquids that might be used (or that people said they used) to clean a leisure-vehicle’s waste-water tank. Those liquids ranged from soft drinks (eg. coca-cola or lemon squash) to aggressive acidic or alkaline chemicals.

If a tank (and/or the associated pipework) is badly contaminated, a strong cleaner will be needed. As a rule of thumb, if one drank the cleaning agent (acid or alkaline) and it did not kill you, then it probably won’t be an effective tank cleaner.

Household bleach is the time-honoured tank-cleaning agent as it is readily available and should not harm the materials employed in a leisure-vehicle’s water system.

• 3 weeks later...
I recently had occasion to get access to the internal cassette mechanisms to re-attach a small part that became dislodged and only when looking on-line did I find out that there is a large diameter plate on top that can be rotated and lifted out giving unrestricted access to the mechanisms on the underside with the benefit that you get full access to give the internals a thorough clean. I keep my cassette really clean but still found some small bits of crud in corners here and there that Zi was able to rinse clean - good as new. What a subject to be discussing!!

Archived