Headlamp Protectors

Zydeco Joe

Does anybody use them and if yes best place to get them. Are they easy to fit. Would like ones that are set for driving in Europe which I think is possible .Have used tape as a mask for years but this marks the headlamp and as we are getting a new van think it might be a good idea to get a set or even two sets one for UK driving. Model is a 2018 Fiat 2.3 Carado T135.

Vancomfort and Motorhome Essentials sell them, amongst others. They are made by an Australian company whose name escapes me at the moment, and have a template for beam masking marked on the covers, as well as being supplied with sticky back masks to fit.

The covers are good quality, but the masks are hopeless. All they seem to do is cast two rectangular shaped shadows on the road a short distance ahead of the van, and the beam upswing to the left that they should be masking, is still present.

I keep meaning to investigate the correct shape and position for the headlamp masks, but haven't gotten around to it yet. On our last trip to France, I just set the headlamp adjuster to maximum lowered position, but at least the visible presence of the masks probably convinces the Gendarmes that you've made the effort!

Zydeco Joe - 2018-05-14 11:32 AM

Does anybody use them and if yes best place to get them. Are they easy to fit. Would like ones that are set for driving in Europe which I think is possible .Have used tape as a mask for years but this marks the headlamp and as we are getting a new van think it might be a good idea to get a set or even two sets one for UK driving. Model is a 2018 Fiat 2.3 Carado T135.

Did you mean beam deflectors? If so then these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headlamp-Beam-Deflectors-HeadLight-Converters-Adaptor-Or-GB-Sticker-Plate/261253645223?epid=1660284274&hash=item3cd3ee43a7:m:mKF0glDlO8Cz_mG_q6hNclQ

If you can find them, get a pair of beam benders which can be used either for RHD/LHD or LHD/RHD. By using them the "wrong" way, you can stick them on the INSIDE of the plastic protectors.

That way, you not only have a permanent, clip-on pair of deflectors you can use again and again, but also a smooth outer surface for cleaning, with no danger of the deflectors coming off.

Zydeco Joe - 2018-05-14 11:32 AM

Bought a pair for my van from Formula4 - nine years ago.

I stuck beam benders on them when new - and they are still there.

Very easy to fit - just lift the bonnet and clip in place on my 2003 Ducato.

:-|

These links are to fitting instructions for “Eurolites” headlamp adapters

http://www.motoring-into-europe.co.uk/fitting.html

My experience of Ducato X290 UK-norm headlamps is that there are two potential difficulties when driving abroad. The first is that there’s a significant ‘kick-up’ on the left part of the dipped-beam pattern that might cause dazzle if the beam’s downwards deflection is insufficient - but this can be addressed by ‘masking’ off the kick-up part of the pattern.

The other difficulty is that the dipped-beam pattern is designed to illuminate the side of the road to the left of the vehicle and, consequently, when driving on the right (eg. in Continental Europe) on dipped-beam the edge of the road on the right is hardly illuminated at all.

I vaguely recall reading (in MMM magazine?) a comparative review of commercially available ‘beam deflectors’ that stated that they just don’t deflect - they can be used to deal with the kick-up, but (as one might reasonably expect) there’s no way that sticking something on the outside of a ‘left-dipping’ headlamp can magically turn it into a ‘right-dipping’ one.

I've used these deflectors supplied by Vancomfort for the last three motorhomes (all Ducatos).

I leave them on the vehicle and just apply/remove the sticky black plastic shapes when entering/leaving France. Takes two minutes to do this job and I put them back onto the backing sheet for use next time.

If you peel them off carefully then it's a simple job and you can reuse the shapes many times.

I buy them to protect the headlamp unit rather than for the night driving headlamp performance. We rarely drive in Europe at night but obviously they're useful in tunnels etc. Actually I'm hopelessly cynical about putting on these "patches" due to the very high percentage of UK cars (and motorhomes) that I see in Europe without any beam deflectors fitted. You sometimes wonder why you bother with beam deflectors but then the cost of a new headlamp comes to mind. Never seen any police checking headlamps, but maybe they do.

I'm sure that the last thing on a Euro policeman's list is to pull up UK cars/vans without beam deflectors so I just stick on the black patches and drive with a happy smile (lol)

Matrix Meanderer - 2018-05-15 11:03 PM

I'm sure that the last thing on a Euro policeman's list is to pull up UK cars/vans without beam deflectors so I just stick on the black patches and drive with a happy smile (lol)

You may or may not be right, but when I was on traffic patrol there were certain offences that we referred to as "starters for ten" - minor infringements that we would not normally consider putting pen to paper for on their own, but which were a reason to stop a vehicle to check other matters and might be added to the list if the check revealed a string of other issues.

The French police in particular seem much more proactive than here in the UK in my experience, in turning up in a small town or at a junction and covering all exits to stop and check anything that draws their attention. I can't see the point of deliberately drawing their attention to me just because many other Brits are trying hard to do so ;-)

Apart from which, I don't wish to intentionally cause glare or discomfort to oncoming drivers!

I've used black tape in the past but had the same pair of Eurolite stickers on for the past four or five years now. MOT man is perfectly ok with them too.

The only downside to anything 'stick on' is removal can be a pain on plastic lens lights (hence the reason i left mine on). If you have glass units then removal is very simple.

I rarely drive in Europe at night anyway and for that matter it's rare i drive at night here in UK since retiring!

Archived