Satnav

ChrisD

I use Osmand on a first generation Tesco Hudl.

Osmand has all the maps resident on the device, so no mobile data source is required to use it. The maps are very detailed, though the "Navigation" side has its limitations. I tend to use it more as a moving map while driving (with Mrs B navigating with paper maps and a Garmin satnav), though when it has been used within its limitations it has navigated well. I find it more useful when parked up to "explore" unfamiliar areas - the maps show banks, supermarkets, restaurants etc. Maps are updated regularly. Used as a moving map, the display can be configured to show a data window with current speed, altitude, time etc. which is easier to see at a glance than the van speedo & clock.

One advantage of purchasing the "app" (which is currently £9 for the main app & £3.20 for the countour lines upgrade - more than I paid some years ago) is the ability to use it on my Android phone as well - full offline European (USA & other counties available as well) mapping in my pocket. Other navigation "apps" are available which may well navigate better than Osmand, if that is the most important aspect for you. I find the large (8") map display an advantage over smaller satnav screens.

HTH

Thank you for your very informative and enlightening reply.

I will look towards this. The moving map is more important to me than "navigation". ( I prefer a paper map for that).

The moving map can make all the difference when Mrs C is now chief navigator and I've taken the wrong lane around Rouen in the rush hour.

This could be marketed as a marriage extender.

Regards

Chris

I have used Sygic navigation. I recently used it along with the dashcam facility on my Galaxy S8. The dashcam and navigation ran very well for a while but then the S8 complained that it was overheating. Shame as I do like Sygic.

Hi, I have Copilot free version on my Samsung device 10 in screen., with uk and france mapping.

I have added my own poi as well for my selection from Britstops, , camping club, Cmc club, and a selection of other poi, .

it works, albeit a bit basic, and can be upgraded at costs to add extra facilities.

poi information is downloadable from various clubs, if you are members, or from various internet locations.

as a freebie, it is good value, but has linitations.

I also have Garming Camper as well.

The tablet audio output has to be booster bu a separate audio amp, to hear it above the road noise..

tonyg3nwl.

I've used the standard Copilot for quite a few years now on an Android tablet. Occasionally it has a hiccup but generally I find it very good. You can also use it in walk mode which is handy when visiting a nearby town using footpaths.

Purchased the full version of CoPilot (Caravan/Motorhome) at the Spring offer price of about £35. Had a little difficulty installing ACSI, Archies and CMC POIs. The instructions for this version are a bit vague, but with help from a friend who produced a POI install re-write they all work well. (If anyone would like a copy of this please PM me.)

Overall I'm impressed and find it much more intuitive than my 700 series Garmin. (in fact it was my son who advised me to take this route rather than purchase another Garmin even at a staff discounted price - and he used to work for them!!)

This version offers route choices and you can also drag and drop to vary the "offered" route.There are plenty of other options which are configurable to your own choice

It also displays the road number you are on (i.e. A34) rather than just Newbury Road. Very helpful in some circumstances!

CoPilot is installed on a Lenovo Yoga 10 tablet which is held firmly in place by support bought from Ebay at £7.

Archived