For your information (locking yourself out of the van)

kevandali

Well, we managed to lock ourselves out of the van (all ok now)

Just posting this so others don't make the same mistake. :-)
Better half was having a siesta in the van and the habitation door was open with the fly screen thingy across.
I was outside partaking in a beverage for medicinal purposes.
Better half got up, pressed the button in the can that locks all the doors and joined me for a beverage.
About an hour later as it was 'getting a bit nippy' better half closed the habitation door.
Much later when thinking of moving inside the van, all doors locked.
Van keys on the side, inside the van 8-)
Didn't panic, spare set of keys in the better half's bag....... in the garage!!!

Bottom line, if you push the central locking button in the Fiat cab with the habitation door open, it locks all the doors and when you close the habitation door at a later date.... it is also locked.
Called out the Fiat breakdown guy and he was brill at getting in without causing damage.
He slightly prised open a window at its centre/bottom, inserted what looked like a square whoopy cushion and pumped it up with the attached rubber hand pump which spragged the window slightly, he then used a metal rod to knudge the window clips open, viola..... no paranoid that the safety conscious better half will do it again so both carry keys.

One of our members recently posted on Fun a similar sorry tale about locking himself and his wife out of the van - keys locked in garage and the other keys locked in the van. Glad your's worked out without too much fuss.

Steve H, you may want to check your insurance because on mine, hiding a duplicate set of keys on the chassis, or similar place, could invalidate the insurance. Comfort's policy states, "Your policy does not cover the following or damage arising from theft whilst the ignition keys of your motorhome have been left in or on your motorhome ........"

The Chausson 610 on the Ford chassis I had last year was wired in such a way that the central locking system didn't "see" that the hab door had been opened, so re-locked the doors after about a minute if only the hab door had been opened. I was concernd about being locked out if the door blew shut, so have taken to having the van keys around my neck on a lanyard whenever I step outside.

This year's Chausson 610 on the Fiat doesn't have this habit (according to the dealer the Fiat body controller can be programmed to ignore the hab door, the Ford can't), but I still carry the keys on the lanyard if I step outside.

Nigel B

(edited for spelling)

Archived