Vehicle battery not charging off LRM1218

artheytrate

We have a 2017 Globecar Campscout,and I installed an extra VARTA 95 ah AGM battery and 200 watt of solar.

The van is fitted with an EBL 119 with a LRM1218 solar regulator, just recently I’ve noticed that the vehicle battery is not charging after the leisure batteries have gone on to float charge of 13.6volts, but if using hook up the cab battery does charge ok.

I’ve contacted Schaudt and the suppliers that I bought it from and all they say is check that the vehicle battery is connected which it is using the wiring that came with the LRM 1218.

Any ideas anyone.

John.

The EBL 119, like the old EBL 99, doesn't have the centre pin on the 3 pin Solar socket wired to the starter battery like it is on later units. So if it has been wired like other EBL's, no charge will get through to the Starter battery.

The EBL 99, 119, etc units therefore use an adapter harness to access the Starter battery via the 'Starter to Fridge' cabling.

There should have been an 'adapter' harness with a 5 pin plug one end and a 5 pin socket the other in the box, with the 'two wire' cable used in the 3 pin Solar Port, not the 'three wire' cable which is only meant for EBL 100, 101, etc.

Check the adapter cable has been installed in Block 2. If it hasn't, fit the 'flying wire' of the adapter harness to the LRM 1218 Solar Reg Starter battery output terminal.

Pull the 5 pin plug from BL2, Insert the adapter cable in the now vacant socket and the plug just removed from BL2 into the adapter cable socket.

You should now have the adapter harness sitting between the EBL and the old BL2 plug and if you trace the 'flying wire' it leads to Pin 1 which is the cable directly from the Starter battery to the Fridge (obviously via the EBL 'Fridge relay').

Do it in that order to minimise shorts, maybe consider pulling the fuse at the Solar panel first to isolate it from the Solar regulator? DO NOT PULL ANY FUSES BETWEEN THE REGULATOR AND THE EBL until you first isolate the Solar Panel from the LRM 1218. If you need to replace the 3 wire Solar cable with the 2 wire version, you must isolate the Solar panel first.

Just as you would isolate the solar panel before removing the battery leads, etc.

For more details, on where to install a fuse if you don't have one, see here : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-power.php

At the bottom of this page http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/schaudt-elektroblock.php you will find a photo of a EBL 119 showing the Block layout and a EBL 119 document with wiring diagram at the end of the PDF to help you further.

Archived