Flyscreen not mosquito proof

plwsm2000

We are having a few problems with mosquitoes getting into the van during the night. I think they are getting in between gaps in Hiki III flyscreen. The flyscreen is the concertina type and the gap between the end of the flyscreen material and the plastic surround is about 4-5mm. Hopefully you can get an idea of the gap from its shadow in the attached photo.

It seems to me that the flyscreen material has been cut too short. I intend to take this up with the manufacturer, but is this a common fault or just on mine?

heki_flyscreen.jpg.ce988b8733ea775a8c6b0be2913f2f19.jpg

Guest pelmetman

Don't go to Scotland..........I thought they were midge proof to 8-) .......

But getting back to the rest of the UK ;-) ........

We have recently replaced our Fiamma roof vents with what we thought were like for like........sadly they're not *-) ........

They're much more fragile and Elf & frigging safety has ensured for ventilation reasons the mozzies have open door access to your Moho despite the mozzie screen that comes with the skylight 8-) ........

Progress eh? >:-) .......

I'm not very convinced as to them being mossie proof, and of cause midges treat them distain.

I spray all nets with Peripherin at the start of any trip which is to mossie or midge territory.

p.s. For those making frequent trips to mossieland and not wanting to use chemicals then a fine net curtain material will do the job, you just need to find a way to attach it.

The clue is in the name. If you want to leave windows open then you will need to buy a Mosquito net and either sleep under it or cut it up and fit to whatever windows you leave open.

It will not be foolproof because they will always find a way in through whatever gaps and holes they find.

You can test if they are getting in via that particular screen. Get a bit of foam door/window draft excluder and put it temporarily in the gap each time you use the screen. If you get no more problem QED. 

I personally doubt this is their method of ingress. 

Also I would not bother with Permethrin spray - it is a contact insecticide & not very effective - & although "safe" all insecticide formulations are harmful. One Mossie flying in through the door during the say can, then waiting for nightfall behind a curtain is easily overlooked but can give lots of bites. I was a Research Biochemist and ran a Pest Control business for 50 years & in my experience pests are chancers.

The flyscreens on our windows & door are probably the weakest area of our otherwise ideal AT. Beside needing regular cord replacement or mesh resetting they offer deterrent not an effective barrier to insects IMHO. The mozzies in OZ are often the size of a moth so they do offer some protection there. They are not however very effective against sand flies. When the wind blows the mesh lifts out of the vertical channel and they are even less effective. Cheers,

Thanks for the replies.

We are in Spain at the moment and I have just bought and fitted some mosquito netting from a local supermarket. It comes with an adhesive backed velcro type of tape (the one with the "hooks"). I stuck this to the plastic surround of the vent and cut the netting to size. The tape seems to grip the netting quite firmly and leaves no gaps.

I'll see if this improve things.

I still don't know if my Heki flyscreen has been cut too short. Is this the same on yours?

I’m pretty sure that - if you contact Dometic - you’ll be told that all Heki III Plus rooflights have a gap of several millimetres between each side of the black gauze concertina fly-screen and the rooflight’s frame.

The design of the flyscreen demands that there be some clearance between the flyscreen’s sides and the frame and having a minimal gap would invite ‘bindng’ and potential damage to the flyscreen’s fairly fragile material.

Rather than question Dometic, you might be better contacting Leisureshopdirect who should be able to confirm whether a 4mm-5mm gap is commonplace for the Heki III Plus rooflight.

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/help

plwsm2000 - 2018-06-09 7:04 PM

Thanks for the replies.

We are in Spain at the moment and I have just bought and fitted some mosquito netting from a local supermarket. It comes with an adhesive backed velcro type of tape (the one with the "hooks"). I stuck this to the plastic surround of the vent and cut the netting to size. The tape seems to grip the netting quite firmly and leaves no gaps.

I'll see if this improve things.

I still don't know if my Heki flyscreen has been cut too short. Is this the same on yours?

No definately not the same as mine. My mesh (sliding panel) T

Is very much finer mesh. The mesh size in the photo, indicates to me that it's not mozzy or midge proof, never mind to gaps.

I think you will see an improvement with your solution.

Archived