reving engine

gp1

Hi is it ok to put your foot down for example when moving off from traffic lights? If the engine is warm. Does this put extra wear on the engine ? Ive always driven depressing the acceleration pedal about half way thinking i was looking after the engine but i might be wrong.

Bearing in mind these vans were designed for white van man to thrash from dawn to dusk I doubt you will ever harm your engine driving hard but sensibly.

That said, use your ears and if it sounds wrong it may well be wrong and do NOT over rev the engine in neutral or in too low a gear.

Engines need to be used and mollycoddling them can be as harmful as thrashing them mercilessly.

I always made a point of warming it up before asking too much of it - and check the oil level as often as you remember.

Thankyou very much sounds like good advice. Yes i never really understood things like this car / van needs to be used. Always thought using things wears them out. Although did read a good post about storage and running engine for 5 mins without letting it get hot. - just creates moisture. And oil needs to circulate the engine.

Yes have been checking oil recently. I jet washed underside of my van the other day and noticed next day i had an o leak so booked it in. Turns out that all that water must have got up inside engine and quite alot of oil must have just got dislodged. I checked on the road and it definately was black oil but my oil levels are fine. So cancelled garage.

Tracker - 2018-06-19 12:15 PM

I have a pressure washer but have not and would not ever use it on a car or van because it think it can do more harm than good and is totally unnecesary. There are those that would disagree so it is just an opinion.

I use mine all the time. But I turn it right down so that there is very little pressure, just a wide spray to wet the vehicle before shampooing and to rinse off afterwards.

I turn the pressure up a little to clean the wheel arches, but nowhere near maximum.

Deneb - 2018-06-19 12:19 PM

Tracker - 2018-06-19 12:15 PM

I have a pressure washer but have not and would not ever use it on a car or van because it think it can do more harm than good and is totally unnecesary. There are those that would disagree so it is just an opinion.

I use mine all the time. But I turn it right down so that there is very little pressure, just a wide spray to wet the vehicle before shampooing and to rinse off afterwards.

I turn the pressure up a little to clean the wheel arches, but nowhere near maximum.

Fair enough, but I achieved the same effect with a hose and variable spray attachment without all the faffing about setting it all up!

Just as important as cleaning is making sure that water does not get where water would not get in normal use!

At our MOT they rev your engine at max foot pedal to perform the exhaust emmision test. Their is no rev limit in your engine by the gas pedal. I had a S2000- honda cabriolet and their famous V- tec engine from the motor bikes, they can run at 7000 rpm, whit a auto two stage gearbox to keep the revs in order. A reciprocating engine is not a turbo.

<<< At our MOT they rev your engine at max foot pedal to perform the exhaust emmision test. >>>

Hi,

The MOT emmision test came in with a requirement to rev the engine. It was quickly dropped, due to the number of broken engines. Then it was brought back ,,, but I don't know what they do differently. ???

In my day, diesel engines had no control (butterfly) on the induction, engine speed was controlled by the amount of fuel injected, with a govener in the injection pump.

We had a Leyland Hippo (10 litre engine), that had a fractured spill-back pipe and was pumping diesel into the sump. Eventually, it started to run off it's own sump fumes, which were not governed. The engine "ran away". The driver stopped, ratcheted up his right hand handbrake, which he managed to release as he jumped out. .The truck, screaming it's head off, trundled dow the road by itself, crashing into a cottage. Luckily, the engine drank all the sump fumes, and dropped to a tick-over before it blew up. Then the Gentlemen of the Press arrived. A "Snowdrop" shoved his .38 up the photographer's nose, and advised him to "Go forth and multiply". There was 50;50 chance there was a nuke warhead, intended for a Blue Streak missile in the back of the truck.

My wife had a pre-VTEC Honda CRX. I have seen the needle on 70 in 2nd, and 100 in 3rd. On both occasions, that was where the ignition( or fuel supply switched off) ... the engine lost power. We never found out what it would do in 4th and 5th. It never dropped below 40mpg.

A modern engine should not be damaged by free-revving, but I don't like doing it..

Guest pelmetman

Took my latest bagain banger (Rover 600)to have the drivers window winder replaced.......they asked when I last changed the cambelt 8-) .........

Big Bruvver is Wotching :D .......

Fortunately as a luddite I had it changed before I agreed to swap money ;-) ..........

My thoughts about the initial question differ from some of the above...

Whatever the procedure used during an MOT test, it is not good to rev a diesel engine without a load. Bearing this in mind and that most diesels have so much torque that with care you can move away on level ground by gently feeding in the clutch and not revving the engine at all; i would say that at least when moving away from a standstill, you should use as little throttle as you can get away with without it stalling and only feed in more throttle once you are underway. At the same time, running the engine beyond 3000 rpm will rarely be necessary while driving and while i would not labour an engine at below 1200 rpm; i would not see much of a future in having it bouncing off the rev limiter either!

Modern diesels can handle, and periodically require a bit of exercise but whatever vehicle you have, you will find that with a little time behind the wheel, it will communicate with you and you will discover the 'sweet spots' for cruising and for smooth acceleration and this is the place you need to be to maximise your fuel economy and minimise wear on you and the vehicle.

N

Yes i like that answer. I know when im driving well and when i feel distracted and going against what the engine is wanting me to do. This might not be as noticable on newer vans but on a 94 vw with no turbo it needs more work to get up to speed and i guess without care it can feel like youre thrashing it. Plus you can hear the engine more. But does 70 on motorway happily. Sometimes wonder why they replaced all the junctions with roundabouts though as spend more time getting up to speed than actually driving normally.

I agree with what Nick says but having been a passenger in so many vehicles over the years I have learnt that so many people seem to lack 'mechanical sympathy' as my Dad used to call it.

The ability to hear slight changes of engine note that can sometimes signal the start of something going wrong, the ability to hear the engine labour and knowing exactly when to change gear.

Perhaps I was lucky to be taught the basics and learn the rest which came mainly from an era where vehicles were a lot less reliable and predictable than they are now and the money to repair them was a lot harder to find.

I don't blame anyone for lacking this ability as they are a product of this era where you don't need to know how anything works in order to be able to use it and so many things are not repairable any more beyond plugging in a new techy bit.

My partner drives our aircraft nose motorhome on wheels and behave like a aircraft pilot whit rayban sun glasses. and a rolex watch. And a remote earphone and on speaking terms whit the site he his entering to park his vehicle. He does not like the mechanical of a motorhome. But he is my buddy driver to the dog festivals, and respected for all the technical of it. He was a chief engineer on oil tankers whit Shell- Marine london. This is what he said about revs and torque.On a diesel tanker of 30000 HP whit one propellor it runs only 112 rpm, no gear box, no brakes, only reverse of the propellor, That means a stop and restart by air of the engine Crossing all bridges in the uk is difficult to keep start air. A steam ship has turbos at 6000rpm and a huge gear reduction box lay- out. One game question: Your motorhome traction is by the tyres on the road. How about a Ship propellor? At which point .l the ship put forward. In hrust. And on a aircraft turbos. The reverse clutch plate of fiat ducato is very weak, Stop when a smell occurs. Cheers.

Archived