do motorhomes need a name?

gp1

My old vw camper inherited its name from the previous owner but my motorhome doesnt have one. Dont see any reason to give it one. And even if i did how do you name one? Also are names perhaps a way to pull at the heartstrings of prospective purchasers?

Yeah they need a name! Hank the Tank was named after a dear old departed family friend, a big bloke and also probably Hank Marvin. He even has his own website and is quite famous.

I dunno about them being used to pull at the heartstrings of prospective buyers but once you have had a van as long as I have, named it and done so many trips in it when it eventually has to go it will be a major wrench. :-(

Well maybe it was like a tank to drive or it was built like a tank or you used to call it that to persuade kids to get in it. I wouldnt have thought you would name a motorhome after an american film star esp a male one. Maybe barbara striessand. Just thought of a new cockney rhyming slang. Hank marvin - im starvin. Also thought some of them have got names already like mohikan or apache. But the names change i was told my vw was jessie j but have since thought of it as a polar bear because my curtains were replaced by large thermal screens from lidl with huge pictures of hungry looking polar bears on. So i think it looks like a polar bear now. But there are no cute polar bears in childrens fiction. It just gives me the sensation of lying there in the dark thinking i am inside the stomach of a polar bear. So names are not always good.

Hi,

If several of our readers are recounting their adventures and misadventures on this forum, a name is easier to remember than a registration number.

My 1959 Land Rover is called The Aunt, as she was first owned by the BBC (Auntie Beeb). No nothing famous, she was a mobile welder used for erecting ariels, and all the kit had gone by the time I got her..

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-06-21 4:50 PM

Yeah they need a name! Hank the Tank was named after a dear old departed family friend, a big bloke and also probably Hank Marvin. He even has his own website and is quite famous.

I dunno about them being used to pull at the heartstrings of prospective buyers but once you have had a van as long as I have, named it and done so many trips in it when it eventually has to go it will be a major wrench. :-(

I'd rather sell the wife than Horace :D ..........

Even though he did fail his MOT today with an immediate failure 8-) .........

Narrow boats have names which I think have to be registered. Perhaps we should all name our motorhomes after our chassis numbers!

I have named three of our motorhomes, two after a couple of months ownership and basing the name on their characters. The third we named on purchase but that name never stuck. The other three have not been named because their characteristics, or should I say faults, are not what we want to remember.

Our fourth motorhome was called Annabelle by our children and we had the name splashed across the off side of the bonnet [it was an A Class]. Even the dealer referred to it by name.

I suggest gp waits and sees how things pan out. A name may evolve.

If the cat is called Cfer, the dog Dfer then the van would be - Vfer

One of our vans, some years ago, was called Mr Jingle - you can probably guess why!

Most modern cars are bland and have no individual character but one of our car registrations ends 'TTU' and it/he is known as Desmond.

The vans were generally just known as 'the van', or 'good girl' after a trouble free long run, or 'the wretched van' when they misbehaved

Ha so funny. Ive seen some of your youtube videos. It was a hymer christmas or something and you walked around all these hymers. Some with decorations on. It looked very bleak and wintery and there was nobody about. And when you saw double axel ones you got excited. Yes i think the idea is supposed to be ypu get a home first then save up for motorhome. Not the other way round. Well as someone else says theres no right or wrong way. Everybodys different. Ill have to look at the other ones. Tootles the taxi comes to mind weve got the definitive lady bird book. Bertie the bus. Ect. Yes like the star wars theme. By the way i think motorhome is the first vehicle ive owned which has a slightly evil face. As you get nowadays. I mean aggressive. They never used to do that on vehicles. Perhaps they call it attitude. Jeez. Someone said that if obi wan kenobi went to tatooine to conceal his identity why did he wear the official robes of the jedi whilst there and not dungarees or something.

Our van was "As you Please" as it gave us freedom do do as we please.

It was also registered *****AYP, hence name.

Unfortunately the new van does not have such a good name, but will probably end up being called "Driver" as registered ***DVR.

Geeco - 2018-06-24 10:00 AM

Our AT Tracker FB is called "Tracker" because it is. Sorry Rich. Cheers,

No probs Gary - my wife calls me Tracker because I am unpredictable, expensive to run, slow and rattled a lot - just like our last Tracker!

It had the reg no ## ## KOW as was known as the KOWshed!

Not sure my "Tracker" will start after our 6 weeks in Italy, Slovenia & Croatia, (highlight Stelvio Pass in Italy). Will find out in the next week when we take it out for a day trip to check all is well. The winter weather on our return here is cold down to 17c during the day!! Think we need to move north to warmer weather. One thing we did notice this trip was the fantastic choice of motorhomes available in Europe, we are very envious. We checke out a lot of camp sit options both wild & organised sites and I must say without sounding biased the options here are IMHO are significantly better. Rich November is a good time I will meet you at the airport!!! Cheers, 

Why give them a "pet" name ?????

Usually they already have 3.

Chassis, Fiat, Peugeot, VW, etc..

Converter, Hymer, Autotrail, Swift, etc..

Model, Tracker, Kontiki, California, etc..

OK sometimes Model is just a number. (lol) >:-)

Archived