Pyraneese

qwark

Thinking of going across the Pyranese Mountains from Jaca in Spain towards Pau in France. I expect some of you have done this. Just being cautious about the road E7/ N134 being ok and not too steep for my motorhome. Thanks for any advice.

Ive been all over the Pyrenees several times. I cant specifically remember that road number but as long as its a main road they are all pretty good. None of the main routes or even the lesser routes are generally much over 10% apart from odd bits and some switchbacks. The hills in the UK are often much steeper than those in the Pyrenees and the alps just also much shorter.

We've been through the Pyrenees many times. Mostly through the Somport Tunnel. No problems and a good route. The road from Jaca leeds straight through. We came back this week by the tunnel in Spain Viall (I think it;s called) South of Toulouse. Lovely ride, very scenic, still had snow melting, and lots of waterfalls. The only problem being the river Garonne was in flood, creating some deviations through some villages in France. Both routes no problem . As has been stated large lorries use them!

We went to Spain from the south west of France , so took the motorway, to avoid Barcelona! La Boulou to La Jonquera . then on past Barcelona, but you can come of the M way at La Jonquera if you want to

PJay

We crossed from Pamplona (nice Aire) through St Jean-Pied-de-Port on the N135 on our way home in October last year and the gradients were fine.  We set of before dawn thinking we'd have a trying journey and this was a mistake because it was foggy as well as dark and we had one or two tense moments seeing the tight turns very late, so we eventually we parked up to wait for daylight.  Otherwise it was a painless route and I would not hesitate to use it again.

Archived