Citroen Jumper/Globecar: “Soft-Close” slider

snowie

At Clovelly, North Devon, on Saturday and a Citroen Jumper, Globecar pulled up at the side of us in carpark. German couple.

Proceeded to open sliding side door: effortlessly! And to close it even more effortlessly: and silently.

The owner told me that he has a spare catch for when the existing one breaks, and that I should be able to get one from a Citroen dealer, and probably from Fiat.

I’ve queried this spec item before, and not managed to establish whether a new white van Ducato Cargo could be obtained with this system. (Any colour, but basic load carrier not special conversion model).

Also, even though X250 is ancient, and even if X290 has this spec available , quite possibly not retrofitable to an X250 ?

Can Nick advise on this please.

I’m guessing that onboard computer and software are not common spec, and maybe Fiat are a bit more limited. Do the three manufacturers go their own way on this ; Is this why Posl / Globecar don’t build on Fiats?

Could I buy a used Jumper with side door soft open/close, and build a new van?

Oh what a thought!

Cheers, Snowie

This particular item is unique to Poessl/Globecar, (i.e. it is not a Fiat/Citroen part) and has been fitted to both Citroen and Fiat based conversions by them from 2014.

Whilst it is possible to retrofit it to earlier models (of Poessl/Globecar) at a price, the parts will only be released by a dealer to owners of the brand.

Mine is still working well 3 years in (on my Fiat Globecar).

Robinhood - 2018-06-25 6:41 PM

This particular item is unique to Poessl/Globecar,

I hesitate to challenge you on that Robin, but I’m certain that I saw this on a PVC, maybe Autotrail, back in around 2012! And I’ve still not got to the bottom of it!

This latest sighting and the brief discussion with the owner has given me hope.

Extremely frustrating.

If I wanted a Fiat or a Citroen “white van” with soft close, could I get one?

I don’t see Fiat or Citroen accommodating the necessary hardware/software components for a non factory spec item.

Cheers, Snowie

I can assure you that the "softclose" system is unique to Poessl/Globecar, and is not an OE fit.

The concept is pretty pretty simple in engineering terms.

There have been (and still are) a number of electrical assistance options for sliding side doors, and I wouldn't be surprised, knowing what the motorhome community are like, to find someone had fitted one to a PVC (but not an Autotrail ;-) ). (Stedall manufacture a kit)

Buscamper in the Netherlands will retrofit the "softclose" as you have seen it, but only to Poessl/Globecar 'vans.

I've a 2017 build Globecar on a Fiat Ducato chassis that has the soft close mechanism - it is essentially a powered door catch at the aft end of the door frame that draws the door closed - but the sliding element of the door is still manual.

However I saw the 2018 Globecar / Possl brochure is offering a full electric slide open & close side door (button press ot open & Close) - so they must have developed a new system - and it is available on both Fiat and Citroen base chassis AFAIK. but i don't know if the new full auto open / close system is retrofittable

here is the buscamper link to the system i have

https://www.buscamper.nl/elektrische-sluithulp-softlock and i see (as previously noted) it is only available for Possl / Globecar retroft. The site says

The Softlock fits on the models from 2007 and is only available for the Pössl and Globecar brands. Call us for an appointment or visit this site for current information.

the "spare lock" is just the door catch, that attaches with 2xT35? bolts weighs about 70g - its the same catch that is on the rear and front doors. it would take 2 min to fit and not a real issue to keep in the tool box - I have ours in the van in case the soft close mechanism fails - but it is just a sensible precaution - as the van won't lock if any doors are not properly closed ;)

Archived