Keeping Cool in a Motorhome - on the move and parked up

StuartO

Ha like the bit about ditching the wolly nighty. Yes yesterday evening i realised what the best thing about the summer was. Summer evenings when it is still warm but not that intense cooking feeling and a light warm breeze wafting around your legs. So relaxing. Anyway i was suggesting we go away this week but as we decided to go away next week instead i havent had to deal with this problem of heat in the van. But did manage to prize open the long window at the side in the middle of the afternoon yesterday and left it open for 20 minuites. Im not sure if i will invest in a fan as summer is so sporadic in this country and wales is always breezy especially near the coast.

We dont have any kind of Air con or fans in the van and we generally do long trips in summer into Mainland Europe. I Find that after two to three weeks you totally acclimatise and the heat is different to here. Right now its been about 25-27c in the Dales but it seems much more oppressive than the same heat in say southern France. Humidity? I dunno.

What I Find key is elevation (Altitude). We are big fans of the mountains and my biggest hate is being too hot at night. During the day its not a problem as ill be off kayaking or riding about on the scooter but too hot at night is dreadful. I generally find though in mainland Europe if your over 2500ft in altitude and its been high 20s or even 30c+ during the day it quickly cools down at night and is more than comfortable with cooler mornings. At sea level its often very sticky all night and the van can be unbearable all night.

So if it gets too hot, head for the hills or get up on the Massif Central in France.

Finding this topic interesting, most of us use external screens in the summer to keep the heat out of the cab, and it works, because the insulation is in the correct place.

The Spanish seem to know a bit about keeping the internal heat down. I guess most of us will have seen on Spanish campsites caravans with insulation fitted externally to all windows. These “pads” appear to be fitted by sliding the top edge into a channel at the top of the windows. I seem to recall also seeing them on some motorhomes, but as we tend to be in Spain in the winter these are generally seen on static touring vans.

Anybody else noticed them? they could be a solution, but in the UK all things seasonal are generally short lived .

We keep our van cooler by using Insulation foil on the windows. I bought a roll of Wicks Insulation foil which is intended for radiators and wall insulation I cut pieces the size of the windscreen and windows.

Kept in place with suction hooks. It's silver and reflective and very effective.

Used it for years ! Of course you can't use it on the move !

Our summers are generally spent on the east coast so there is generally a sea breeze at night to keep the MH cool enough to sleep. However a few years ago we spent a particularly hot week in Adelaide where the temp was 40-45c. My aircon did not work the first night due to not being aware of the isolation switch. That night was the worst night I have spent in the MH. The next day I found the switch and the second night was fine. So there is no way I would own a MH without aircon. They are possibly not as efficient as a domestic system but certainly do make a significant difference. Cheers,

That is why Dometic invented the fantastic vent who acts like a roof window or fan. Even a fan above the cooking is the best option you can buy. Like in your kitchen at home, even small at low noice they produce air flow to get a breeze.Open all side and roof and doors and make a fence full around your MH, in case you have animals whit you, like i do. Picture follows. A big oak three is also welcome.

My only wish is that i had cab a/c and i was always amazed at the number of mh's that don't have it until someone on another forum pointed out most pvc's are commercial based where a/c would be an extra and few, if any, company owners would pay for it. I mounted a 12v fan (stainless steel one same as truckers use) on my windscreen top section and that does the job.

Hab a/c is easy. I use a table top fan i bought from Morrisons for a tenner! Works perfectly tho' only with ehu.

Another tip....something i always bring with me when touring are packs of wet wipes. Keep them in the fridge and whenever getting hot and sticky they are instantly refreshing.

Guest pelmetman
Countryboy33 - 2018-06-30 4:10 PM

We keep our van cooler by using Insulation foil on the windows. I bought a roll of Wicks Insulation foil which is intended for radiators and wall insulation I cut pieces the size of the windscreen and windows.

Kept in place with suction hooks. It's silver and reflective and very effective.

Used it for years ! Of course you can't use it on the move !

Our camper blinds are silvered on the reverse/outside and help keep the van noticeably cooler than outside when combined with the silver screen B-) .........

On the move we have a sliding window in the moho part which when opened, helps create a good flow from the front windows........

Both very effective.... that's 28 year old technology for you :D .........

Archived