Possible Crit Air application problem

Cattwg

I think I may have a problem.

I’m just about to apply for my French Crit Air Certificate and the first page of the application states “certifies the vehicles environmental class based on pollutant emissions”. There is no emissions information at all on the vehicle’s V5 form – should there be? If “yes” how do I obtain that information and have the V5 updated. There is also nothing, as far as I can see to state that the engine is Euro 5. The vehicle is a Fiat 2016 Euro 5.

Advice would be appreciated.

Cattwg :-D

“Thank you” to those who replied to my earlier Crit Aire Certificate query. The email with the temporary certificate arrived this morning, with the actual one expected in a few days. It would seem that my concern over the lack of emission information on the vehicle’s V5 was unfounded.

Just out of curiosity does anyone have emissions information on their ‘van’s V5?

Cattwg :-D

The procedure for obtaining a French Crit’Air emissions ‘sticker’ includes entering data into a “Vehicule informations” on-line form.

The English-language form carries several ‘boxes’, with one box referred to as “CO2(in g/km) [Champ V.7**]” and another box referred to as “Indication of the environmental category” [Champ V.9**]. The “**” suffix is explained as relating to “...recent certificates of vehicles registered in the European Union”.

The former box relates to Field (‘Champ' in French) V.7 on a current UK V5C Registration Certificate and (as Billggski says) that field on the V5C of some motorhomes can carry a CO2 (g/km) value. Such motorhomes are generally ‘single-stage’ conversions (eg VW “California” models) but the CO2 datum occasionally appears on the V5C of ‘multi-stage’ conversion motorhomes. But the V5C of ‘multi-stage’ motorhome conversions (which means most motorhomes) will normally have no CO2 (g/km) figure in Field V.7

The latter box (“Indication of the environmental category”) refers to Field V.9 on the vehicle’s registration certificate, but there is no V.9 field on the UK’s V5C document.

French computer software (in my experience) can be a mite peculiar and I don’t know what the objective of these two fields are where an emissions-sticker application is concerned.

When entering data into the "Indication of the environmental category” field, only the “No indication of the environmental category” option can logically be selected from the 6 choices offered, because the UK’s V5C document does not have a Field V.9. If any of the remaining 5 choices were deliberately selected (eg. “Euro 4”) despite that datum nor appearing on the V5C, it’s anybody’s guess whether this would result in a sticker appropriate to a Euro 4 vehicle being awarded, or would be considered a mistake that invalidated the application.

I don’t really see what use the CO2 (g/km) datum has within the Crit’Air sticker application process, though if a V5C’s Field V.7 does have a CO2 figure in it and that figure is not entered into the application form, this might also be considered an error. It really depends on what checks are made between what’s on the application form and what’s on the copy of the V5C certificate (2nd page) that must be uploaded.

When applying for a Crit’Air sticker for a UK-registered motorhome, do the following:

1: Irrespective of the motorhome’s weight, always choose the “Private cars” option for the "Vehicle category [Champ J**]” box.

2: Always choose the “No indication of the environmental category” option for the “Indication of the environmental category [Champ V.9**]” box.

3: If the motorhome’s V5C does have a CO2 (g/km) figure in its Field V.7, enter that figure in the "CO2(in g/km) [Champ V.7**]” box. Otherwise leave that box empty.

4: Just upload a copy of the 2nd page of the motorhome’s V5C registration certificate - that’s the page with “UK Registration Certificate” in blue in the top-left corner.

Surely all the V reference numbers apply to the French "registration" document? The form is not just for GB but for other countries as well so you can't expect a translation of every countries documentation to have been done.

If a vehicle is registered in France the procedure for applying for a French emissions ‘stcker’ differs from that used when a vehicle is registered in another country.

In the former case the applicant just details the vehicle’s French registration certificate’s ’number’ and the date of first registration; in the latter case the process that’s been discussed above needs to be followed.

The on-line form that needs to be completed refers to Field V.7 (which is present on a UK V5C document) and Field V.9 ((which is NOT present on a UK V5C document). These fields (and other fields mentioned on the on-line form) have a related footnote saying "** : For the recent certificates of vehicles registered in the European Union”. I

If you are saying that the V.9 field mentioned on the form is present on recent French registration certificates, I can’t argue with that because I’ve never seen a recent French registration certificate. But it’s plain that recent UK V5C certificates do not carry a V.9 field.

I can fully appreciate that the Crit’Air sticker application procedure will focus on French-registered vehicles and, consequently, most attention will have been paid to the software that handles that element of the application process. I’m unconvinced that the V.7 and V.9 field-data have any real value, as the vehicle’s date of first registration should be sufficient to allow the ‘correct’ sticker to be awarded. However, the application procedure is what it is and, if a UK motorcaravanner follows the 4 steps I’ve mentioned above, obtaining a sticker should be (relatively) straightforward.

(I recall a ex-pat Brit who had lived in Paris for most of her life telling me that there was a significant difference between information provided by a French person and information provided by an English person. She said that, if asked the same question, both persons would be very happy to provide an answer, but the French person would be much less fussy about the answer being correct.)

Archived