Campsite priorities

Bulletguy

Spent a fair bit of this years touring on sites up to now (i'm getting old!) and just wondered what priorities others look for when searching out sites? In no particular order i list the following;

1) GPS co-ordinates. No idea why some still don't list these on their home page.

2) Restaurant and/or snack bar. ACSI need to get their act sorted on this as i've lost count of the number i've been to specifically describing the site with this facility...only to find nothing!

3) Good toilet and shower blocks cleaned daily.

4) Fresh water supply and grey water dump.

5) Waste disposal area clearly marked.

6) Washing machine facility.....a dryer is a handy bonus but washer a 'must'.

7) Wifi. If the site claims 80% or 'full coverage' then make damn sure it actually is and not a case of sitting within a metre of Reception!

1. Wi-fi , preferably ultra fast fibre broadband

2. Tree free satelllite view if the cricket is on .

3. No pikey campers

4. Gym within cycling distance

5. No yappy dogs

6. No yappy kids

7. Reasonable public transport links

8. Good cycling

9. Clean facilities

10. Knowledgable , efficient and pleasant site staff

11. Shower block cleaning times that are customer orientated not staff orientated

12. No dog poo on my pitch

13. Free automatic Elsan point

14.Whitby Magpie cafe mobile Fish and Chippy on a Friday teatime

Bulletguy - 2018-07-08 3:

3) Good toilet and shower blocks cleaned daily.

If I’m asked to pay money for a service I expect basics to be good value, and they are not negotiable, but I’d really like to stay on sites that are pleasant places to be, not just parking bays, and I’d like a nice view; it makes a difference!

Snowie

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-07-08 3:58 PM

7) Wifi. If the site claims 80% or 'full coverage' then make damn sure it actually is and not a case of sitting within a metre of Reception!

Nice to know the efforts you'll go to ......to abuse me :D .......

Mark Wilkes - 2018-07-08 7:48 PM

I agree with all the points mentioned but regarding price we go to a site that has half price fees if you go Monday to Friday so we only pay £54 for our van, awning, electric hookup and a dog. if only more sites would do this.

4 nights?

Normally £32 per night?

What’s the view like?

Snowie

Blimey .... what a lot of Glampers. *-)

I am too old to thumb my way around the Country with just a sleeping bag and a change of clothes nowadays but you lot want 5 Star treatment. I have the luxury of a Motorhome to reside and sleep in, all I need is some water and a place to dump the cassette. 8-)

One of my favourite sites offers lovely views, a short walk into the town, bus stop outside site, water and disposal, for £6 per night. These sites that charge £15 - £ 25 a night are treated with contempt :D . Where is it, find it yourself :-D

Laimeduck made an important point i'd forgot to add........shade or even some areas with shade. In bright sun and 30+c temps, vans quickly heat up and take ages to cool. I get the impression some c/site owners think trees take up space but i don't expect a forest. Even many Autobahn rest halts are nicely shaded with trees and on hot days the prime spots soon get taken.

'Snowie' (Alan).....totally agree about the basics. Toilets/showers should be decent and clean. In fairness i've only come across a couple of bad 'uns where i used my van facilities....then left the following day!

A site in Serbia, Camping Zasavica,

https://www.campercontact.com/en/servie/vojvodina/sremska-mitrovica/18471/camping-zasavica

is the opposite end to this. Their toilet/shower block is more like something from a five star hotel! Fully tiled throughout, electronic taps, and spotlessly clean....in fact the site owner insists on it being cleaned regularly (three or four times a day).

chas - 2018-07-09 6:07 AM

. Where is it, find it yourself :-D

Well said chas! Ten years of looking, and the number of “gems” is pretty small, and I think the chances of finding them is less now than it was, because overall st,Andrade are declining, so our emphasis is on what’s outside the site gate.

Recent trip to North Devon hit the spot with Salisbury, Wells, Devizes, Clovelly and Bristol, ok sites great cities. Plus a beautiful farm site at Stoke Barton, for beautiful sunsets.

Regards, Snowie

Billggski - 2018-07-08 5:39 PM

It's interesting no ones mentioned price, as that seems to be the biggest moan on the forum!

Very true! The site i'm on now in Bulgaria i'm paying £9 a night inc EHU. Small quiet site at the foot of the Rila mountains. Excellent on site facilities with full menu Restaurant, good range of beers, nice covered outdoor seating area.

Prices vary...eg there is one site in BG which would cost me a mind blowing £16 a night with ehu. Typically it's owned and run by a British couple!

But on average anywhere Eastern Europe is normally around £7 - 10 per night with ehu.

Clean facilities.

Firm ground

Good size pitch ( i.e. not too close to the neighbours )

Peace and quiet.

Electric hook up preferred but not essential for short stay ( must be able to keep phones etc charged up ).

Dumping facilities.

:-|

Hi Snowie, its a site called Royal umpire and its in a small village near Leyland in Lancashire. The site is Clean and lots of green areas for the dog to run. The facilities are clean and the staff very friendly, and there are shops and pubs within walking distance.

Bulletguy - 2018-07-09 10:57 AM

Prices vary...eg there is one site in BG which would cost me a mind blowing £16 a night with ehu. Typically it's owned and run by a British couple!

But on average anywhere Eastern Europe is normally around £7 - 10 per night with ehu.

Maybe theiy have a UK business mortgage to service !

Snowie

Archived