Touring Southern Ireland

Countryboy33

Touring Southern Ireland  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Have recently returned from a two week tour of southern Ireland in our campervan.

My wife is a wheelchair user and during that fortnight we did not find a campsite that had any shower facilities for disabled persons. I have since contacted the Irish tourist board who stated that the sites on their website are approved by them and have to have such facilities. Having checked their website it does not mention

What the facilities are. We only saw one of the sites listed. We did see a few disabled toilets but they were mostly filthy.

Some of the main roads were very narrow and poorly maintained lots of potholes. The scenery was very good but Would not return to southern Ireland.

I have posted this for the benefit any disabled persons thinking of touring southern Ireland

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with your trip to Ireland,I live in the south of Ireland in Wicklow Town.I have done 3 trips recently 1) a fishing village called Downings in Doneygall and this site had showers & toilets for disabled 2) Galway in Salthill the site also had disabled facilities.3) Red Cross in Wicklow,a 5 star site with disabled facilities.

If you do decide to come back please send me an email of where you want to go and I would be happy to research the sites in the areas for you and make sure you get sites that have what you need.Again I am sorry to hear you were so disappointed,IWILL CONTACT THE IRISH TOURIST BOARD and ask them to try and get these details noted on there web site

Kevin

I recently toured Ireland and agree the roads are awful I have family in Northumberland and thought some of the roads were bad up on the northern cost but Ireland took the cake.

We wanted to see the devils causeway but it turned out to be a big tourist trap expensive and you couldn't see it for the tourists maybe dead of winter is the time for that,also the cliffs of moher but gave that away for similar reasons.The biggest problem with the roads though was that there were very few places you could stop to enjoy the scenery as they were so narrow with no stopping places,we missed a lot of great sights because of this we almost had our wing mirror removed by a German tourist hogging the centerline we just touched ( very embarrassing losing your mirror on a rental MH ) lost mine on a narrow bridge back home in NZ not cheap.

Over all Ireland ? loved Dublin lively city would return there anytime.

Sorry to hear about the lack of disabled facilities you don't notice that if you are sound of limb we used caravan club and caravan and motorhome club sites in the UK but I can't say I noticed how they catered for the disabled?

Most large sites in NZ fare pretty well although some of the smaller ones one of our favorites (a bit rough around the edges don't think does) but the fishing's good,and I don't grumble about local roads anymore

Archived