hose pipe into motorhome?

gp1

If a hose has a ‘fixed’ end-connector (as cassetted flat-section hoses often do) it seems a pity to cut off one of the end-connectors merely to allow the hose to enter a motorhome’s filling-point. It’s easy and quite cheap to DIY the type of extension that’s been referred to above, and then the unmutilated hose can still be used for other purposes - like attaching to it a nozzle for washing the vehicle or a spray-gun for watering plants.

A hose with a ‘naked’ end will make every effort to escape from a motorhome’s filling-point even if the water pressure at the tap is quite low, and to avoid this happening will involve the hose being held in place throughout the water-tank filling process (photo attached).

Although modified filler-caps are available that remove the need to hold the hose in place, when an extension is used it’s very easy to add to the extension’s connector a bit of bent wire that clips on to the filling-point to hold the extension temporarily in position. This permits single-handed ‘hands-free’ water-tank filling to be carried out even when a tap’s water pressure is high.

filling.jpg.de8ad6beed9f3b37ddf9f223c0fafa8a.jpg

Re the images in other posts:-

The red and grey snap connectors fit tightly into my MH filler and don't need to be held....red sleeve.

The new yellow Hozelock sleeved connectors are too big.

Luckily I still have a couple of spares.

Have used the first for many years in various caravans/MHs.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-18 6:58 AM

.........When an outdoor water tap has a threaded outlet, this will usually be 3/4" BSP size, though taps with 1” BSP or 1/2 BSP outlets will occasionally be encountered. This convention applies abroad as well as in the UK. Single or multi-part hose connectors are marketed for outdoor taps (example on following link) but I’ve yet to come across a tap with a metric connector. ..........

BSP (British Standard Pipe) threads were adopted by the ISO (International Standards Organisation), so BSP is what you would expect to find.

It is worth noting that 3/4" BSP is about 1" external diameter.

Alan

In various parts of Europe various odd connector types can be found on Aires and marinas etc but by far the most common we encountered were the standard 1.00" BSP screw or sometimes Hozelock snap on connectors.

Occasionally an odd tap needing a bit of ingenuity and occasionally a larger 1.25" BSP threaded connector were encountered .

Can't speak for sites as we never used 'em!

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-18 6:58 AM

When an outdoor water tap has a threaded outlet, this will usually be 3/4" BSP size, though taps with 1” BSP or 1/2 BSP outlets will occasionally be encountered. This convention applies abroad as well as in the UK. Single or multi-part hose connectors are marketed for outdoor taps (example on following link) but I’ve yet to come across a tap with a metric connector.

Tracker - 2018-07-19 3:24 PM

In various parts of Europe various odd connector types can be found on Aires and marinas etc but by far the most common we encountered were the standard 1.00" BSP screw or sometimes Hozelock snap on connectors.

Occasionally an odd tap needing a bit of ingenuity and occasionally a larger 1.25" BSP threaded connector were encountered ........... !

Tracker,

There seems to be some discrepancy (I do not wish to say disagreement.) between what you and Derek are saying.

In the interests of accuracy and to avoid confusion, will you please confirm the tap nose thread sizes to which you refer?

For reference 3/4" BSP measures 1.041" over the thread , and 1" BSP measures 1.309".

It is these two sizes that are mentioned by Derek, and to which I believe you refer.

Alan

Alanb - 2018-07-19 7:57 PM

For reference 3/4" BSP measures 1.041" over the thread , and 1" BSP measures 1.309".

It is these two sizes that are mentioned by Derek, and to which I believe you refer.

Yes, that sounds about right.

There’s useful BSP-related information here:

http://www.bspt.co.uk/

(The possibility of old outside taps having a 5/8” BSP outlet is mentioned, but I’ve yet to encounter this.)

The most common size for outside water-taps (in the UK and abroad) is 3/4” BSP.

Abroad, it’s also reasonably common for campsite/aires taps to have 1/2” or 1” BSP outlets (or no thread at all on the outlet).

It’s possible to (easily) obtain from garden stores '2-in-1' 3/4”+1/2” BSP Hozelock-type connectors and (less easily) to obtain '2-in-1’ 1”+3/4” BSP connectors. I’ve not seen a ’3-in-1’ connector to cover all three sizes.

I always carried a couple of 'hozelock mixer tap connector' which clamp on the tap with a jubilee type clamp. Various sizes are available and the cheap copies worked just as well as the expensive ones.

I cut away some of the internal ribbing on the rubber part to enable one of them to fit larger taps and they also worked reasonably well on threaded taps, although the thread did cause them to dribble a bit.

I didn't use them a lot in recent years as the more common fittings became even more common but being an avid non site user and seeker of out of the way places every option helped.

BSP is not the same as a Metric M code. It is often used on gas pipework. It can be paralell or tapered, the last is self gastight by teflon tape or loctite. On a male female. The US in inch uses NPT. Their pitch is different.Sealing rings are used on non conical. The Heos whit air relief is practical but you have always some spill of water when disconnect the Gardena unless you have a non return in them indicated by a arrow. I think that on a EU- Motor-home built on our site of the channel every thing is M. And not a sign of a BSW bollts and inch spanners on a AL-KO Chassis. But the Landmile and Nautical mile are still in effect on sea and Air international..

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-07-26 3:26 PM

BSP is not the same as a Metric M code. I think that on a EU- Motor-home built on our site of the channel every thing is M. And not a sign of a BSW bollts and inch spanners on a AL-KO Chassis. But the Landmile and Nautical mile are still in effect on sea and Air international..

That may well be so but screw on tap connections on taps on both sides of the great divide appear to be a common size, or so closely matched that they accept a standard thread tap connector where ever you are.

Archived