Jump to content

Registering ownership in USA of Class A RV


Recommended Posts


Can anyone help me with the question of registering an American RV bought in Florida by a UK citizen to be used for a minimum period of 3 months each year.

I need to Know how to register the RV as i have no permanent address in USA.

Can i use a friends address who owns a holiday villa in Florida?

Or can i use a PO address?

Does any one have first hand experience of this dilemma.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes we have done this, but it was in 2000. We had shipped our American RV back to the USA and when we got to Florida we registered it in Florida. We had set up a mail box and you need to visit the local (DVLA). A police person has to read the VIN No and put it on the form. However you may be liable for sales tax and State tax.

You may find that you will need to have a drivers licence which (back in 2000) you could get using a mail box address.

However if you are buying the RV from a dealership it may be worth talking to them about registration. Have you enquired about insurance as this can be quite expensive because the Brits never drive on the right!!!

If you can get an American citizen to be on your policy then it will reduce the cost as having a USA drivers licence will also help.

It may be a good idea for you to check the current rules on "being out of state" as when we were there if you were out of state for more than 30 days, you were supposed to change your drivers licence to the state you were now in.

I hope this has been of some help.

B T W our experience of buying and selling in the USA CAVIAT EMTOR


Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...