Chemists.

W3526602

Doh! Clicked wrong button.

Hi,

I waited for 27 minutes in the chemist today, for my prescription that should have been ready for collection on Thursday, and my wife's prescription that should have been ready for collection on Saturday. Neither were ready for collection ... which has been par for the course for almost exactly four years. We are moving house next week.

While waiting, I noticed a new (I think) notice pinned to the counter, well below eye level.

PLEASE ALLOW 48 HOURS FOR PRESCRIPTIONS TO REACH THE PHARMACY FROM THE SURGERY. PLEASE ALLOW (a further ?) 72 HOURS FOR US TO FILL THE PRESCRIPTION SAFELY.

So, if you put your repeat prescription in the box in the surgery, it will be at least six days before it will be ready for collection from the chemist ... which effectively, is a full week. Add to that, any bank holidays.

Question ... is this the normal service that we should expect from our chemists?

Both our local pharmacy and the GP each state 48 hours for a repeat prescription request to reach the pharmacy and then 48 hours for the pharmacy to stock and prepare it.

In reality that usually means 5 days, not including weekends and BHs, and as the GP will only issue repeats one week prior to them being needed that does not leave much time and does not allow for cock ups and delays which do happen. So far we have been OK but it comes mighty close at times. and is a stress factor we could do without.

I appreciate the need to cut down waste but we have never yet wasted anything prescribed - unless we get a bad allergic reaction!

That said immediate prescriptions are virtually immediate and by the time we have travelled to the pharmacy from the GP they are usually waiting.

Ours is done in around 24 hrs from requesting a prescription from the doctors, this is assuming that the doctors receptionist/secretary or whoever doesn't forget to press send, unfortunately this happens on a regular basis and we have to phone the chemist to see if they've received it :-S

Ours is 5 working days from online request. Last week I put in request on Monday morning and as I was passing the doctors/chemist called in on Thursday afternoon on the off chance it might be ready, this seemed to add to the general state of chaos.

Went to dispensary to be told,

"no we don't have it, best go next door",

so throu the door to reception to be told

"It's been refused as you only ordered last lot on 23rd",

"Oh I thought it wouldn't let me order to early", then "Hang on, the 23rd was Monday, that's the one I'm after, and I haven't ordered any more",

"That ones been passed throu as paper order to dispensary, better go back and check with them"

So back throu to dispensary to be told, "O yes that's come throu on paper so hasn't been made up yet"

The thing is in the time I was there a whole stream of us where going back and forth with problems, if this carries on I may change to online with postal delivery.

https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/prescriptions/electronic-prescription-service-nhs

Guest pelmetman

I use Pharmacy2U ;-) .........

Works fine, they even remind me to order them........As we full time I get them delivered to my sister in law B-) ...........

I call her my drugs mule :D .......

Tracker - 2018-07-30 7:25 PM

Both our local pharmacy and the GP each state 48 hours for a repeat prescription request to reach the pharmacy and then 48 hours for the pharmacy to stock and prepare it.

In reality that usually means 5 days, not including weekends and BHs, and as the GP will only issue repeats one week prior to them being needed that does not leave much time and does not allow for cock ups and delays which do happen. So far we have been OK but it comes mighty close at times. and is a stress factor we could do without.

Likewise with the bib i had same problem when i was on 6 monthly issues. After a major cock up last year where the chemist was left frantically phoning around for supply of meds which, in fairness to them they had ordered but the expected delivery hadn't arrived.....i gave up the 6mths and went back to monthly issues. With much conniving and cunning i've eventually managed an overlap to give me a 2 week 'buffer'.

Repeat prescriptions are a dead loss. You are 'tied' to one Pharmacy as they have the master copy for all six meaning you cannot go to any other Pharmacy anywhere.

Bulletguy - 2018-07-31 10:44 AM

Repeat prescriptions are a dead loss. You are 'tied' to one Pharmacy as they have the master copy for all six meaning you cannot go to any other Pharmacy anywhere.

Despite repeated, mainly automated, requests from the pharmacy we retain control of repeats by ordering online from the GP and we specify which pharmacy to use each time. To be fair our usual pharmacy is run by very helpful and pleasant people and most cock ups are down to the GP, so we stay with them, but it does not alter the one week stress factor. I think that we too will have to be a bit more cunning!

Hi,

I put a repeat prescription in the surgery box on Monday morning, went to collect it on Friday afternoon.

"Will you wait while we make it up?" Words were spoken, and I was informed that the surgery take 72 hours to process the prescription, and the pharmacy then have 48 hours.

So I went to reception in the surgery (next door). They showed me that my Monday prescription was signed by the doctor at 09.00, and was sent to the pharmacy at 09.15, on TUESDAY. So what happened between then and Friday afternoon?

Perhaps pharmacists work to NHS rules. 48 hours, or whatever, is a target ... bad for morale if you do things too quickly.

I understand that the NHS have to pay £15 for each prescription. Who do they pay?

I pick up repeats from the surgery and go to a chemist of choice. Normally Boots, who say it will take 10 or 15 minutes but usually read in 5.

I tried the system whereby one nominated a chemist and that didn't work at all well.

Dave C

Our Dr.s is pretty good. OH put a request in on monday morning (first thing) We went for my appointment on tues Pm , and he picked up the prescription. took it across the road to the chemist, waited for it, while I was in doctors . Usually I put a request in dr,s and pick it up within 24 hrs. Take to tesco, and it is dispensed while we shop, hence no waiting.

i never understand why most pills come in 28 packs? there bye not being for 2 months! And as for packing with leaflets in every pack, ! it takes me ages to "Pop" each pill out into my weekly pill box (i take 9 a day!). I like the OLD way of the chemist measuring them out. PROGRESS !

I believe (from the papers and Tv) that in Wales there is more of a problem in the NHS,

PJay

Tracker - 2018-07-31 11:39 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-07-31 10:44 AM

Despite repeated, mainly automated, requests from the pharmacy we retain control of repeats by ordering online from the GP and we specify which pharmacy to use each time. To be fair our usual pharmacy is run by very helpful and pleasant people and most cock ups are down to the GP, so we stay with them, but it does not alter the one week stress factor. I think that we too will have to be a bit more cunning!

Ah right...to be fair i've never used online from GP so couldn't comment. Reason i decided against that is i felt it would be easier for them to 'keep track' of me. The troubles i had began a few years back when a new pharmacist took over who turned out to be a 'rule book' type where the previous one had been (unknown to me then), more flexible. That my GP is also a 'rule book' type compounded the problem and like you, many times i found myself running too close to the wire with little room to spare. Totally ridiculous.

PJay - 2018-08-01 11:21 AM

i never understand why most pills come in 28 packs? there bye not being for 2 months!

PJay

That really grinds at me too! I once tackled my GP over it and put it to him like this...."how many months of the year have 28 days?" Answer is easy...it's just ONE! So for the rest of the year your monthly prescriptions won't cover. Bonkers! *-)

Bulletguy - 2018-08-01 11:31 AM

i never understand why most pills come in 28 packs? there bye not being for 2 months!

PJay

That really grinds at me too! I once tackled my GP over it and put it to him like this...."how many months of the year have 28 days?" Answer is easy...it's just ONE! So for the rest of the year your monthly prescriptions won't cover. Bonkers! *-)

I guess it's down to the drug companies? Most of mine are either 7 in a pack or 14.. I also have an inhaler that covers 30 days!

As you say BONKERS

PJay

PJay - 2018-08-02 12:12 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-08-01 11:31 AM

PJay

I guess it's down to the drug companies? Most of mine are either 7 in a pack or 14.. I also have an inhaler that covers 30 days!

As you say BONKERS

PJay

Repeat prescriptions are not on a monthly basis, they are issued based on the dosage and pack size, if there are 28 pills in a pack as per one of my medicines then the prescription is issued every 28 days. Where it does mess up is when you have 28 days of pills and 30 days of inhaler type medicines, it's times like that when the online postal above must be the way to go.

<<< it's times like that when the online postal above must be the way to go. >>>

Hi Colin,

Three problems with that ...

If they cannot get prescriptions ready by the due date, how can we trust them to deliver on the due date.

From what we have read, we would have to be at home to recieve the drugs. We are usually at home, but on occasion, our daughter asks us to perform grand-parent functions, usually at short notice.

I have read (only once) that there are intentions to charge for prescription deliveries.

There seems to be a conflict between them being our Service Provider, and us being their Trading Base.

Hi,

I done a Google for CHARGING FOR PRESCRIPTION DELIVERIES. There were a lot of hits, with a mention of £60 for 12 months deliveries. Is that per "Druggy" or per household?

Could that be why collecting prescription drugs is becoming difficult? A nice little earner?

Whatever, here is one I did earlier.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/890320/pharmacy-home-deliveries-set-to-charge

Hi Colin,

We are moving house on Monday ... I mightt look into a small parcel box, screw it to the wall, dedicate it to drug deliveries, see if it works out. £5 for a delivery once a month is taking the micky.

My wife's last prescription should have been due on Sturday afternoon. I went to collect it on Monday ... short order, so received an IOU for 164 Codeine tablets. This afternoon (Wedneday), I presented the IOU. You've guessed it I - had to wait for it to be dispensed.

This pharmacy is now being "mentioned in despatches" in the local town forum, with recommendations for local chemists who look after their customers.

W3526602 - 2018-08-02 6:23 PM

Hi Colin,

We are moving house on Monday ... I mightt look into a small parcel box, screw it to the wall, dedicate it to drug deliveries, see if it works out. £5 for a delivery once a month is taking the micky.

My wife's last prescription should have been due on Sturday afternoon. I went to collect it on Monday ... short order, so received an IOU for 164 Codeine tablets. This afternoon (Wedneday), I presented the IOU. You've guessed it I - had to wait for it to be dispensed.

This pharmacy is now being "mentioned in despatches" in the local town forum, with recommendations for local chemists who look after their customers.

If you are moving house, maybe you will have to change Doctor as well?

Maybe you will find the new ones better (Though would not count on it!) I find it better to take request into the surgery, and collect , and take it to Tesco/ or a supermarket that has a dispensary, rather than go on line, as in our surgery the prescription is raised by which ever Dr, who is available , and any queries can be sorted out at the time. BUT we are fortunate to have our surgery in the village close by, which I know is not always possible for some

Hi PJay,

The repeat prescription system is probably intended to benefit the doctors, with any benefit to the patients being incidental.

If a doctor diagnoses that you need a drug, and specifies REPEAT, the Duty Doctor can sign the prescription. If REPEAT is not specified, the request for a repeat prescription has to go to the doctor who originally prescribed that drug. ... who may not be available.

I was not aware that it was possible to collect a repeat prescription from the surgery. Reception desk? Ours always (usually) go direct to the pharmacy.

If we wish to see a specific doctor, you have to get to Reception very early, and if you are lucky, you will get an appointment in exactly 30 days. They will not give appointments more than 30 days ahead.

A GP precribed blood pressure tablets for my headache (Subdural Haematoma). Another GP told my wife, specifically, that her spot was not cancer ... two months later, a consultant told my wife that it was "pre-cancerous". Can you blame us for wanting to see GPs that we trust?

Anyone moving house might be well advised to move with a month's supply of medications, you can always say you will be away and need the repeats early - not so far from the truth!!

Then get to the new GP asap and get repeats initiated asap and try and stay ahead of the game.

Archived