Airco cooling output from fiat ducato.

When we first purchased our AT Tracker FB I was concerned that the aircon would not cope with the hot Aust summer. I had worked out that a curtin behind the front seats may be necessary to keep the front cabin cool. To our surprise the Ducato aircon not only cooled the front cabin but also kept the habitation area comfortable. I suspect the insulation in the habitation area helped. In summary delighted with the performance of the Ducato aircon. Cheers,

Geeco - 2018-08-03 12:25 AMWhen we first purchased our AT Tracker FB I was concerned that the aircon would not cope with the hot Aust summer. I had worked out that a curtin behind the front seats may be necessary to keep the front cabin cool. To our surprise the Ducato aircon not only cooled the front cabin but also kept the habitation area comfortable. I suspect the insulation in the habitation area helped. In summary delighted with the performance of the Ducato aircon. Cheers,

Same here Gary
I made up a full length curtain to go behind the driving seats mainly to keep the heat in the cab area because the heater is useless. It works a treat, and as you say, allows the aircon to keep the cab cool when it's really hot. Think about it, you are trying to heat/cool a huge area unless you partition it off.

Use it all the time now. I also spent some time blocking off door pillar access holes, and beefing up the door seal rubbers, because we identified gale like drafts coming through these areas. 

We were travelling to Norfolk last weekend (one of the hottest days so far this summer) - the vehicle temperature indicator showed 35 degrees C most of the way & the cab aircon kept to whole interior of the van (6.7 metre Chausson 610) at a comfortable temperature. At one point, on an accident induced detour at crawilng speed through a small village, the road surface was melting, but the van stayed comfortable.

Not sure what effect the positioning of the compressor would have on the cooling performance, though, and cannot recall having heard of many (any ?) getting damaged.

Nigel B

mikeamapola - 2018-08-02 10:33 PM

I have a 2004 Fiat ducato 2.8 Auto (Adria Twin) the air con during this hot weather is virtually useless. Is this normal or is it sortable ??.

Mike

If your Aircon is not working very well it might need re-gassing. It is a serviceable system that over time loses refrigerant.

Take it to a reputable garage for a check.

I asked by my local garage to check the air con (Fiat 250 2010) and was offered the choice of either cool in the cab, getting warmer to the back of the mhome, or freezy in the cab and cooler to the rear of the Motorhome.

Set to freezy! I need gloves to drive in as the temp sets off the arthritis !

I take it there is some adjustment, somewhere in the system to let that happen rather than " it's on, or off"" in The cab.

Rgds

You can make the air con warmer by turning up the heating a bit, or a lot in winter. The later is a good way to reduce moisture on damp and foggy days. Although seems a little self defeating in summer ?

Any one know if that is what happens you have " climate control" in a car, rather than AirCon?

Obviously it uses a thermostat to control the temp, does it just mix hot and cold air, or actually control the rate of cooling by the condenser?

Rgds

AFAIK the 'climate control centre' on mine adds heat if the temperature is low, I think the a/c just outputs a constant amount. When on 'auto' the fan also changes speed depending how far from selected temperature the inside of car actually is.

TBH for most of the year mine is set to manual and 15deg with no a/c, in hot weather such as we've been having I increase temperature setting to 20deg and switch it to auto.

p.s. the reason I think it is constant, on cold days if I switch on a/c to demist screen before engine is warn very cold air comes out the vents even if interior of car is cold.

Archived