Been given crit air sticker 2?

tringy

Hi after deciding to have a tour of the south of France for an autumn trip thought I might as well get a crit air sticker. Filled the online application Tuesday 21st evening, arrived in this mornings post, pritty good service. 2007 Mercedes 3lt 4000kg, class3. I noticed on the confirmation e-mail it states that it is valid to use as proof of application enabling the vehicle to enter crit air zones without displaying the sticker.

Regards David

Whichever number you've been given is what Monsieur Poirot will accept if you are stopped by his Merry Men.

It doesn't really matter what anyone quotes on these forums about the Crit'air , all worthy replies, but in France they don't question what the 'Authorities' have labelled Motorhomes and just accept it.

Whether it's wrong, in your opinion, or not isn't going to change their rating - and arguing with the French Police will be a waste of time, put their back up and will probably result in a very thorough examination of your vehicle before they let you go on your way.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-08-15 9:27 AM

but to a profit-making organisation that will ‘manage’ an application for the French emissions sticker for a fee of €29.65, rather than the €3.11 (+ postage) for a DIY aplication via the official website that (as will be seen from the above link) warns of ’scams’.

Hey Ho the scammers are everywhere and of course the Brits will pay as they often do with other scams that are available for the taking. Will

The ‘management’ website has the option to be viewed in any of nine languages (including French) - so it’s not just gullible Brits who will be innocently paying through the nose unless they are careful.

Details of the website’s owner are given here

https://www.crit-air.fr/en/about-us.html

and an explanation of why a supplementary charge is imposed for middle-manning an application for an emissions sticker is inferred in the following statement:

The expenses for the personnel, the translations and the administration of the websites and the Green-Zones App, as well as the daily researches and the editorial work are included in the acquisition of fine dust and environmental badges for privates and companies.

It will be apparent that the webpage through which the application for a Crit’Air Vignette is made

https://www.crit-air.fr/nc/en/store.html

shows pretty clearly that the cost will be €29.65 if you continue to use the service being offered.

Obviously, if people are unaware that making the same application through the official French Government website

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/demande

will only cost around €4, they are going to pay over the odds. They should still get a Crit’air sticker, but will just have paid some seven times more than they needed to.

Roryboy - 2018-09-01 9:34 AM

Whichever number you've been given is what Monsieur Poirot will accept if you are stopped by his Merry Men.

It doesn't really matter what anyone quotes on these forums about the Crit'air , all worthy replies, but in France they don't question what the 'Authorities' have labelled Motorhomes and just accept it.

Whether it's wrong, in your opinion, or not isn't going to change their rating - and arguing with the French Police will be a waste of time, put their back up and will probably result in a very thorough examination of your vehicle before they let you go on your way.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

Any argument/confusion among UK motorcaravanners involves the application procedure to obtain a French emissions ‘sticker' and not to potential reactions from the French police.

If UK motorcaravanners EXACTLY follow the three steps I’ve advocated in my posting of 15 August 2018 9:27 AM, and upload an acceptable copy of the 2nd page of their motorhome’s V5C registration certificate, they will get the most advantageous sticker that is appropriate to their motorhome. However - if they diverge from the 3-step procedure - they’ll still get a sticker but it may not be the ‘best’ one.

Whatever the ‘number' of the sticker that is awarded, if it’s subsequently realised that a mistake was made by the UK motorcaravanner during the application process, or that a ‘better’ sticker would have been forthcoming if the information provided at the application stage had beeen different, it may be difficult to obtain a replacement sticker. Basically, whatever the ‘number' of the sticker that you get, you are quite likely stuck with it.

Obviously the French police won’t be interested in whether a UK motorcaravanner could have obtained (say) a “3” sticker, rather than the “4” sticker displayed on the motorhome’s windscreen if the application for the sticker had been made differently. But I’m extremely doubtful that any UK motorcaravanner with an ounce of sense would put a “4” sticker on the windscreen and then attempt to argue with a French policeman that the sticker should actually be a “3”.

There are two application variants depending on whether a vehicle is registered abroad or in France. In the former case a fair amount of information about the vehicle needs to be provided by completing an application form. In the latter case the applicant just provides their last and first name, their e-mail address, and the vehicle’s registration-number and date of first registration, with (presumably) other relevant data being collected from the French equivalent of the UK’s DVLA. The ‘simulation’ procedure is the same for French-registered and abroad-registered vehicles.

Where the main potential problem seems to lie for UK motorcaravanners is whether or not a motorhome with a Gross Vehicle Weight over 3500kg should be categorised as a “Truck” when completing the application form. If the “Truck" category is chosen instead of the "Private cars” category, a more disadvantageous sticker will be awarded (say a “4” rather than a “3”). It’s possible that, for French-registered motorhomes, the application system will categorise a vehicle with a GVW over 3500kg (a “camping-car poids lourd”) as a “Truck”, but I haven’t been able to test if that’s so.

tringy - 2018-08-02 11:21 AM

Hi all I have applied directly on the French website for sticker and been given a number 2 sticker, is that right for my motor home? Its a autotrail Mohawk 2015 150bhp and 4250 maximum weight. Dose anyone know if this is right for my vehicle?. Thanks Tringy.

think yourself lucky it should have been a class three as you are over 3.5 ton

Archived