Portable “ real “ air conditioner for motorhome

Adiebt

Does such a beast exist without the need for an outlet tube and if not could an outlet vent be fitted professionally through the side of the van or window ? Off to Salamanca and Porto in three weeks time fence the query , I’ve already discounted the idea of a fixed unit , cheers !

I know a couple of people who rate the portable units from Eurom in the Netherlands.

The AC2401 is described as a caravan air conditioner or there's also its bigger brother the AC7000.

21kg and 2 reasonably comact units for the AC2401 which draws 375w. £600ish I think.

https://www.eurom.nl/nl/producten/klimaatbeheersing/split-airconditioners/i/190-eurom-split-airconditioners/1612-ac2401

Your first problem will be to source a a/c unit, I've heard most places have sold out.

I looked into this last year, the one listed above has also a UK dealer, https://www.coolmycamper.com/

For our van it seems simple enough to make something which will adapt a window to take outlet from a portable unit, I was considering fitting outlet to a panel which would 'clip' into bathroom window opening, then unit could be stood so as to not interfere to much with walking around van, gf vetoed the idea, now she says we need one. :-S

I have neither cab or hab a/c and been driving in temps in the high 30's. I open windows! Cab a/c is really an essential but hab a/c is a luxury which can easily be sorted by an electric fan. Mine cost a tenner from Morrisons. The only downside is you need to be on ehu to run it......but then you would also need ehu with your £600 portable a/c too.

You have to remember that for a/c to be “proper” a/c it needs to be able to cool, heat, humidify, dehumidify and filter the air. If it is not capable of doing all these’s functions it’s just forced ventilation. It will just be the speed of the air movement over the skin which causes the feeling of cooling. Get a fan.

Most AirCon sites offer a calculator to find the size of unit required. A mhome is just a small room !

However the electrical supply could be a problem as the kick in current for the condenser can be quite high. I would think that 4 / 6 amp site EHU might be a problem.

But could be wrong.

Rgds

One of the problems with the portable A/C units is the air it ducts outside is replaced with warm air pulled in from outside. Also the compressor is inside the room and therefore noisy.

The 'Cool my camper' ones are a proper split system and are a better compromise IMO

Charles - 2018-08-06 9:40 AM

One of the problems with the portable A/C units is the air it ducts outside is replaced with warm air pulled in from outside. Also the compressor is inside the room and therefore noisy.

The 'Cool my camper' ones are a proper split system and are a better compromise IMO

Well would u believe it ! I’m at the Wirral CC site at the mo and the Caravan next to me has just set up his coolmycamper kit ! I’ve been in and seen it working and it appears to be just what im after ! Apparently in all hot weathers it will cool down to 20c ! Thanx to all for your input , time to splash the cash now !

Adiebt - 2018-08-06 3:31 PM

Charles - 2018-08-06 9:40 AM

Well would u believe it ! I’m at the Wirral CC site at the mo and the Caravan next to me has just set up his coolmycamper kit ! I’ve been in and seen it working and it appears to be just what im after ! Apparently in all hot weathers it will cool down to 20c ! Thanx to all for your input , time to splash the cash now !

They won't pull down to 20°c during the day, but nights will be more comfortable. I think the cooling capacity if I remember correctly is only 1000w (cooling not electrical)

Charles - 2018-08-06 5:15 PM

They won't pull down to 20°c during the day, but nights will be more comfortable. I think the cooling capacity if I remember correctly is only 1000w (cooling not electrical)

Not even that, Charles, the manufacturer (Eurom) states 696W or 2400BTU of cooling.

Adiebt, be very cautious over claims to cool down to low 20’s!! We have a rooftop aircon on our 6.36m panel van and in daytime temperatures of over 30 degrees it can get the temperature in the evening down to mid 20’s, too noisy to have on all night. Wouldn’t be without aircon, had it on this weekend in Scotland!

Bill

Evaporative aircon is used in OZ in the country areas where the humidity is low. They are next to useless in humid areas along the east coast. You are correct it is a system that blows air over a water screen. The domestic units are set up high on the top of the house roof. They reduce the temp to low twentieswhich is ideal if the outside temp is chasing 40C. Cheers,

dicksob - 2018-08-06 7:56 PM

Adiebt, be very cautious over claims to cool down to low 20’s!! We have a rooftop aircon on our 6.36m panel van and in daytime temperatures of over 30 degrees it can get the temperature in the evening down to mid 20’s, too noisy to have on all night. Wouldn’t be without aircon, had it on this weekend in Scotland!

Bill

I was in the neighbours caravan ( hot afternoon this week ) and the readout on the unit was showing 20C and it was cool in their van. Just saying .

Archived