Rapido 741f - Roof construction

Nealsyard

Rapido has used two types of roof construction - one is normal with the roof comprising a single-thickness sandwich-panel and the other (on their more expensive models) is peculiar with a secondary skin ‘floating’ above a lower ceiling panel. However, as Rapido’s roofs (whether single or double ‘layer’) are skinned with polyester material, I can’t think of any credible reason why a Rapido roof should have a metal layer anywhere in it.

I suggest you either assume that the roof of your (late-2000s?) 741F does not have a metal layer in it (which is what I’d do) or see if a Rapido dealership could give you a 100%-certain Yes-or-No answer, or try asking the Rapido Motorhomes Facebook group

https://en-gb.facebook.com/RapidoMotorhomes/

I have a suspicion that the top panel below the floating roof membrane is aluminium on our Rapido 7090 2009 model (3.5 ton, 24 ft)

When we had a serve leak (roof bar mountings had no mastic under them or sealing the screws) I queried what would happen to the roof. It was a while ago, but I seem to remember that was not to worry as the roof board was aluminium and would not be affected. The membrane was lifted as much as possible and aired for a couple of weeks to dry out.

So said the dealers ?

Rgds

You are correct Tony. On Rapidos with the floating outer roof the top skin of the structural roof is aluminium. Whether that is the same on a 741f I don't know but looking at a couple of pictures indicates it is likely. Even if it is, how the aerial could be bonded to it, and made waterproof, is another question.

Archived