Waste tank damage , Bailey response leaves me lost for words ........ nearly !

Adiebt

Somehow ive sustained damage to the underside of my waste tank ( the drainage spout where the internal drainage bung fits has been hit and semi sheared off ) , ? Big stone / rock offa the road ? ,anyway i identify a new one off the Bailey parts site and order one to be fitted by A and E Leisure in Northwich ( great company btw ) only to be told 12 days later by Bailey that the tank is no longer available and wont be again and they have no alternative to suggest . That alone beggars belief that a 5 yr old motorhome has no replacement part from the manufacturer for an integral piece of kit . Thankfully a repair is to be attempted and hopefully will succeed but if the damage had been catastrophic i would have been left high and dry ( no pun intended) by Bailey with a motorhome with no waste tank.

I’m going to write to Bailey to express my disappointment and disbelief at this state of affairs and to point out that in the nearish future i will be replacing my motorhome and if this issue is not resolved satisfactorily I will NOT be buying a new Bailey model .

Anybody got any thoughts , advise or opinions re this matter ? Cheers in advance .

I similarly damaged a waste tank many years ago and I ground the remains off flush, made a stainless steel patch to fit over the hole and before fixing it in place with s/s screws and mastic I fitted a new waste outlet into the patch. Job done - cost nothing as I had the bits in my garage!

Bailey's unhelpful attitude noted!

Tracker - 2018-08-17 7:56 PM

I similarly damaged a waste tank many years ago and I ground the remains off flush, made a stainless steel patch to fit over the hole and before fixing it in place with s/s screws and mastic I fitted a new waste outlet into the patch. Job done - cost nothing as I had the bits in my garage!

Bailey's unhelpful attitude noted!

Tank has been removed and a repair is being undertaken this week prior to refitting before our hol to Portugal a week on Friday. ,didnt fancy dribbling all over the Iberian Peninsula ! Your idea seems ideal Tracker , ill pass it on tomorrow.

Adiebt

It needs to be understood that coachbuilt motorhomes aren’t mass-produced cars and, although after five years one might expect that it would be straightforward to be able to source replacement parts for your Bailey 740 SE’s Peugeot Boxer base and AL-KO chassis, I’m not particularly surprised to learn that certain components used during your motorhome’s construction in 2013 can no longer be supplied by Bailey.

If I were in your shoes I’d definitely be irritated - but I certainly would not be incredulous as I’ve always recognised as an unpalatable fact of life that motorhome conversion components may become unavailable quite quickly after the motorhome was built. Although you’ve been ’stung’ by Bailey in this instance, I’m sure a similar thing could happen with other motorhome manufacturers.

The Hobby motorhome I bought new in Germany in 2005 had a construction fault that restricted warm air delivery to the vehicle’s front lounge. I discovered this when I got the motorhome back to the UK and soon concluded that the problem was conventionally unfixable. Eventually, at a cost of about £50, a lot of lateral thinking and much cursing I managed to DIY sidestep the fault, ending up with a heating system much superior to the original.

I mentioned this to a UK motorhome-dealer acquaintance who grinned and replied "Well, that’s a multi-way win for you", explaining that I’d ’saved’ a lot of cash by purchasing the Hobby in Germany, that £50 was a small price to pay for an improved heating system, that I could be proud of my innovative solution to the problem, that I could tell people about my DIY approach and they’d be impressed how smart I was, plus I could have a good moan about the Hobby factory’s inadequate quality control.

Motorhome ownership can sometimes stretch the limits of one’s sense of humour, but at least you can get some pleasure by complaining about this to Bailey. It will be interesting to see how the company reacts (assuming it does react!)

And if you really wanted to tweak Bailey’s nose, complain on the Bailey Motorhome Owners Group on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1433322080268895/

Archived