Portsmouth to Bilbao

ChrisD

Hello

Some advice please. We are considering the Portsmouth/Bilbao ferry just before Christmas and onward travel towards Gibraltar.

Is the ferry generally a smooth crossing at that time of the year and are the road conditions in northern Spain treacherous or relatively straightforward?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you both of you. I guessed this might be the case. Yes Pjay there are still spaces and I know i must decide soon. Do you know if there is generally much snow in Northern Spain at that time of the year.

Many thanks

Chris

If there is snow, I would imagine the roads will be kept clear. It is a good road across Spain , and using ACSI sites as stop over , you should be OK. Not sure about snow chains in Spain, (Others may be able to say)

We have traveled across Spain many times, but not that late in the year. October being our latest.

Dave Pelmet Man may have some experience of this journey .

PJay

From south Portugal I have been driving the route through north Spain to either to the Bilbao/Santander ferries or continuing through France in mid to late December for the last 15 years. Only once was there snow from Burgos northwards. The Spanish snow clearing was very effective and there was no delay.

The crossing can vary from flat calm to very uncomfortable to cancelled.

My return trip in late January has seen more snow, perhaps three occasions, even then the roads had been cleared.

I would not think snow chains would be necessary, there is no legal requirement on the major routes.

From Burgos or Palencia southwards the toll free dual carriageway has little traffic and allows rapid progress south.

Mike

The problem with Spain and snow is it’s apparently the 2nd most mountainous country in Europe, don’t know how they measure that!

If you’re driving across to the med you will climb over some high ground, just stick to the autopista or autovia routes. The Spanish are surprisingly quicker at clearing roads than the French or the Brits.

Archived