What would the result be?

spospe

What would the result be?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If another referendum were to be held, what would the result be?

Stay or leave?

I am curious as to how the outcome would be now that so much uncertainty is being aired about BREXIT and the kind of deal we will get (or not get).

Please no discussion on the merits of stay or leave, just what you think the result would be of another referendum held today.

spospe - 2018-08-27 10:53 AM

If another referendum were to be held, what would the result be?

Stay or leave?

Depends what the question is.

The decision to leave has already been decided by a democratic vote ( in a democracy ).

I assume therefore that the question would be something like " do you accept the plan that we intend to put to the EU over our future proposed relationship ? "

1) What happens next - if the answer is NO ?

2) What happens if the answer is YES - but the EU doesn't accept it ?

Still far too many unknowns as I see it.

:-(

Of course - theoretically we could leave the EU on the day and time specified - that would meet the requirements of our democratic vote.

Next day we could rejoin.

( I wonder if anyone has thought of that )

;-)

malc d - 2018-08-27 11:19 AM

Depends what the question is.

Indeed

As sir Humphrey Appleby said 'you phrase the question to get the answer you want' (lol)

Last time it was along the lines of 'Would you like another £350 million a week for the NHS' *-)

malc d - 2018-08-27 11:19 AM...........................Depends what the question is.

The decision to leave has already been decided by a democratic vote ( in a democracy ).

I assume therefore that the question would be something like " do you accept the plan that we intend to put to the EU over our future proposed relationship ? "...………………. ;-)

Premature. :-)

First there must be agreement that the best Brexit deal has been achieved, and then that deal must be placed before the electorate, with the calculated pros and cons under each heading with proper time for consideration before any vote.

Then, the electorate should be presented with three options: accept the deal and leave on those terms, reject the deal and leave with no deal, or reject the deal and remain in the EU, but with a clear undertaking by government press for change on the points that provoked the original leave vote.

Most of the things about the EU that irked UK voters also irk a large number of people in other member states, so the individual points would find quite widespread support across the EU, and FWIW, those things seem to me readily enough tweakable without the EU having to abandon its core principles.

Brian Kirby - 2018-08-27 2:41 PM

malc d - 2018-08-27 11:19 AM...........................Depends what the question is.

I assume therefore that the question would be something like " do you accept the plan that we intend to put to the EU over our future proposed relationship ? "...………………. ;-)

Premature. :-)

Then, the electorate should be presented with three options:

1) accept the deal and leave on those terms,

2) reject the deal and leave with no deal, or

3) reject the deal and remain in the EU, but with a clear undertaking by government press for change on the points that provoked the original leave vote.

Ref option 3

Surely - with the reputations our politicians have - NO-ONE is going to fall for that !!!

( Would that be done before or after their years old undertaking to solve the housing crisis ? )

:-(

Apologies for ' editing ' your post Brian.

I dont think we can have reject the deal and leave with no deal as its now law that we cannot have a border in NI due to Brexit.

The options would be Accept the deal or Remain as we are.

Right now I would say it would be 46% accept the deal (even though we dont know what it is but assume Chequers) 54% remain.

Three months down the line or longer I would see that gap widening as people wake up to what Brexit means. Maybe 40/60. I could be wrong of course. Some say it could backfire but I dont think so. You cant eat pride or go and work at pride.

Barryd999 - 2018-08-27 5:23 PM

The options would be Accept the deal or Remain as we are.

Right now I would say it would be 46% accept the deal (even though we dont know what it is but assume Chequers) 54% remain.

You haven't explained what happens if the EU don't accept the deal.

( Which is not really a 'deal' yet - it's just a proposition )

;-)

<<< You cant eat pride or go and work at pride. >>>

Hi Barry,

But would you want to live without pride ... or worse still, live with shame. So far the EU have not offered a deal that would allow us to save face, assuming we wanted a deal.

If we go back, cap in hand, would you expect them to be benevolent? Personally, I would expect them to recieve us joyfully ... while THEY re-negotiate the new terms of our continued membership. As I remember it, the EU refused Cameron's appeal for improved conditions of membership, and the rest is history.

I cannot remember the last time somebody told me that they wanted to stay ... apart from on this forum. And only on this forum.

Law? The question of the NI Border is a matter of EU law. It's the EU that are arguing over the border, so let them have one ... on their side of the line. We won't be in the EU, so nobody can tell us to have a hard border on our side of the line. Perhaps we could offer a trade deal with the Ro!, persuade them to secede from the EU.

Law? The law is was that the EU must negotiate, for two years, with any state that wishes to leave the EU. To my mind, the EU have not negotiated, they have stone-walled. Perhaps Trump had a point when he said the UK should sue the EU?

As I understand it, at the end of two years negotiating, the UK will no longer be in the EU. OUR MPs will have to choose between two ... and only two ... options, which are ....

TO ACCEPT THE DEAL ON OFFER, or,

LEAVE WITH NO DEAL.

Ask the bookies which it will be.

<<< Lordy its hardly a hotbed of leaver supporters on here is it >>>

Hi,

The Remain activists are gambling on two things ...

A second referendum, followed by

The result of that referendum.

The BREXIT horse only needs a "walk-over". The Remainers are trying to trip it up before it passes the post. I'm not a betting man, so I don't know who wins the pot if no horse finishes the race.

Instead of betting on a "accumulator", the Remainers should be sucking up to those who bet on the only horse in the race.

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2018-08-27 7:37 PM

Lordy its hardly a hotbed of leaver supporters on here is it ... What does a poll on here prove ... Most types on here are those that like to preach to the rest how to live whilst doing the opposite ... Waste a time

I thought everyone was Bregretting? :D .........

Seems like Remoaners are victims of their own propaganda (lol) ..........

Interesting to see that at the moment of writing, it's 50 - 50, which is pretty well what the actual result was in 2016.

Its only a very small poll, but I was rather thinking that after all the post referendum discussion, the result would be a greater show one way or the other.

One thing is for sure and that this referendum has been quite divisive and that cannot be a good thing for national unity.

I am off to Belgium / France and Germany on Friday so I will be interested in the final result when you have all had your vote.

spospe - 2018-08-28 5:27 PM

Interesting to see that at the moment of writing, it's 50 - 50, which is pretty well what the actual result was in 2016.

Its only a very small poll, but I was rather thinking that after all the post referendum discussion, the result would be a greater show one way or the other.

One thing is for sure and that this referendum has been quite divisive and that cannot be a good thing for national unity.

I am off to Belgium / France and Germany on Friday so I will be interested in the final result when you have all had your vote.

"quite divisive" ... If losers accepted results and didn't want to overturn them because they didn't win maybe "national unity" whatever that is could be restored ... Dont hold your breath though

The poll is pointless. 10 responses and I get the feeling people are voting on what they want rather than answering the question properly as to which way a second referendum would go.

Barryd999 - 2018-08-28 5:49 PM

The poll is pointless. 10 responses and I get the feeling people are voting on what they want rather than answering the question properly as to which way a second referendum would go.

"i get the feeling people are voting for what they want" ... Oh what a dum ars£ ... Isnt that what people however thickety they are do ... Lordy give me a baseball bat to smack myself

W3526602 - 2018-08-27 6:20 PM

Hi Barry,

But would you want to live without pride ... or worse still, live with shame. So far the EU have not offered a deal that would allow us to save face, assuming we wanted a deal.

If we go back, cap in hand, would you expect them to be benevolent? Personally, I would expect them to recieve us joyfully ... while THEY re-negotiate the new terms of our continued membership. As I remember it, the EU refused Cameron's appeal for improved conditions of membership, and the rest is history.

I cannot remember the last time somebody told me that they wanted to stay ... apart from on this forum. And only on this forum.

Law? The question of the NI Border is a matter of EU law. It's the EU that are arguing over the border, so let them have one ... on their side of the line. We won't be in the EU, so nobody can tell us to have a hard border on our side of the line. Perhaps we could offer a trade deal with the Ro!, persuade them to secede from the EU.

Law? The law is was that the EU must negotiate, for two years, with any state that wishes to leave the EU. To my mind, the EU have not negotiated, they have stone-walled. Perhaps Trump had a point when he said the UK should sue the EU?

As I understand it, at the end of two years negotiating, the UK will no longer be in the EU. OUR MPs will have to choose between two ... and only two ... options, which are ....

LEAVE WITH NO DEAL.

Its written into UK law that there can be no border in NI not EU law. If your wanting to join the WTO which of course is not as straight forward as we were led to believe they will insist you put up a border (Us not the EU).

Who gives a toss about losing face? Oh of course, the Brexiteers which is why they refuse to see the emperors clothes for what they are or admit they were sold a pup.

Go cap in hand? We dont need to, just revoke article 50 and its business as usual. If we leave and rejoin of course which is inevitable we will then no doubt lose the rebate, the 1997 opt out for further federalisation and have to join the Euro and Schengen. As for reform the EU have already reformed Free movement rules in February this year.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-08-28 5:54 PM

Hi Barry,

LEAVE WITH NO DEAL.

Its written into UK law that there can be no border in NI not EU law. If your wanting to join the WTO which of course is not as straight forward as we were led to believe they will insist you put up a border (Us not the EU).

Who gives a toss about losing face? Oh of course, the Brexiteers which is why they refuse to see the emperors clothes for what they are or admit they were sold a pup.

Go cap in hand? We dont need to, just revoke article 50 and its business as usual. If we leave and rejoin of course which is inevitable we will then no doubt lose the rebate, the 1997 opt out for further federalisation and have to join the Euro and Schengen. As for reform the EU have already reformed Free movement rules in February this year.

The Irish/EU borders already sorted ;-) ..........

It's gonna be in Rotterdam :D .........

Hi Barry,

LEAVE WITH NO DEAL.

Haven't the UK already said it wont enforce the border which all of a sudden your worried about

antony1969 - 2018-08-28 6:35 PM

Hi Barry,

LEAVE WITH NO DEAL.

Haven't the UK already said it wont enforce the border which all of a sudden your worried about

They will have to if they want to join the WTO.

antony1969 - 2018-08-28 5:52 PM

"i get the feeling people are voting for what they want" ... Oh what a dum ars£ ... Isnt that what people however thickety they are do ... Lordy give me a baseball bat to smack myself

You should smack yourself you halfwit as the question asked which way you think the vote would go not how you wanted it to go. Then again understanding stuff, detail, logic and reasoning flew out of the window in June 2016. *-)

Barryd999 - 2018-08-28 9:55 PM

Hi Barry,

LEAVE WITH NO DEAL.

Will they ... Thought we'd been over this before ... A hard border isnt wanted by either side but your sudden concern for the Irish border is noted ... https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/994856/brexit-news-wto-world-trade-organisation-no-deal-irish-border-eu-uk-latest

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-08-28 9:58 PM

antony1969 - 2018-08-28 5:52 PM

You should smack yourself you halfwit as the question asked which way you think the vote would go not how you wanted it to go. Then again understanding stuff, detail, logic and reasoning flew out of the window in June 2016. *-)

It's going the way I want it to go B-) ............

Hi,

If we revoke Article 50 now, the French fishermen (who threw things at British boats) will have clear evidence that us Brits give in to aggression. Don't they realise that the Brits don't have a white flag in their armory? Or do we?

What is the French punishment for piracy? Sorry. We are still in the EU, ,So how does the EU Court of Justice deal with one nation attacking another?

antony1969 - 2018-08-29 6:58 AM

Barryd999 - 2018-08-28 9:55 PM

Hi Barry,

LEAVE WITH NO DEAL.

Will they ... Thought we'd been over this before ... A hard border isnt wanted by either side but your sudden concern for the Irish border is noted ... https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/994856/brexit-news-wto-world-trade-organisation-no-deal-irish-border-eu-uk-latest

Whoever he is he is talking bollox. I would prefer to believe the actual WTO themselves. The WTO option is dead in the water for all the reasons already also cited recently on here anyway but as regards the border under WTO rules, unless you’re in a free trade bloc like the EU or NAFTA, you have to obey the “most favoured nation” rule.

If the UK chooses not to put up a border to inspect and charge tariffs on goods incoming that would mean that the UK is giving the EU (because Ireland is the EU in this) complete open access. So its most favoured nation tariff is zero which is against the rules unless it decides to give zero tariff access to both the EU and every other trading nation.

Guest pelmetman

Our nice EU neighbours and chums are showing their true colours *-) ..............

But then again, they have had a long history of blaming us for the incompetence of their leaders ;-) ..........

Vive La Brexit B-) ............

Archived